View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 798 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2986987487887967977987998008088488981298 ... LastLast
Results 11,956 to 11,970 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Here is one of my students throwing a kick. Pretty good for a yellow belt I think.
    Attachment 5259 KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Not bad at all......

Is that you in the pic as well??

On to another subject.....

I found this doing some research about the Shaolin Bird forms .

Shaolin Bird

The Shaolin Bird forms, sometimes referred to as the Shaolin Dove forms, are an old system from the Emei Mountain region. Emei Mountain was one of the three famous Kung Fu Mountains from whence modern kung fu originated. Each mountain had its own emphasis, with Shaolin being the primary forms taught at Song Mountain (in this instance, Shaolin refers to Northern Shaolin style, often referred to as Long fist) and Wudang Mountain specializing in more internal styles. The styles at Emei, however, had the greatest diversity, with over 2000 recorded and catalogued styles originating at Emei Mountain itself. Some of these styles were complete systems, such as Eagle Claw and White Crane. Some of them, however, were merely smaller family styles, passed on from generation to generation within families.

Little is still known of the Shaolin Bird style. It was originally a combination between the Lo-Han style (mainly seen in China Hand or Karate) from Shaolin Mountain and more circular, flowing bird styles that were beginning to emerge from Emei. The style itself combines aspects of both styles with long strikes and attacks, and evasive maneuvers moving from high to low. It also encompasses the ideology common in many of the Emei styles in using finger strikes which are designed to guide the hand into grabs and palm strikes.

The three forms we have, Luo Tien, Chan Ie, and And Yen He, all represent one original form, split into sections to show different aspects of the Shaolin Bird itself. Luo Tien, Descended or Fallen from Heaven, shows the basic applications of the dove as it grasps, throws, and quickly changes direction. This is much akin to the way doves react in the sky when threatened. They are one of the most adept birds at flipping and changing directions in order to avoid strikes from birds of prey, often giving them enough time to make it back to safe ground while the bird of prey is still climbing for another attack. Chan Ie, or Spreading Feathers, shows the dove in its more aggressive stance. Doves, when they attack (albeit usually grubs, worms, or other such creatures) have a tendency to jump in, grasp their prey, and quickly move out. Again, this speed is essential, as they are often on the lookout for birds of prey, being almost helpless to avoid them while on the ground. Their ability to jump in, focus on their catch, and jump back out again is what keeps them alive. The many jumps and dodges of this form are a clear indication of that motion of doves on the ground. Finally, the third form, Yen He, or Performing or Dancing Dove, shows the facets of the dove in all its glory, swiftly changing direction and darting in and out for its attacks and defense. It also brings in more of the Lo-Han techniques for long strikes and attacks from low stances.

While the Lo Han or Long fist forms lack much of the circular motion of the Shaolin Bird, the Bird is far more linear than some of the more famous bird forms which sprung up later in the Emei area, such as Pai Hao or White Crane. While we don’t have the complete system available to us, the one form broken into three gives us a glimpse into an incredible array of fighting applications to be used in many situations.

I am assuming this came from Master Grooms or one of his students . This was on a website called commercage or something like that ,located in atlanta, anyone seen this before???

I was wondering if it is true that the three forms we practice are really one form?? and if there is any other info on these sets?

Wow Awesome,

I had always assumed that the three bird forms and the three crane forms were just three segments to one form, and i have always practiced them that way i.e doing them all one directly after another.

I've always found it difficult to try to use application from the Bird forms other than "elbow chop/fingerstike"

The Crane forms seem to click with me though

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post

I am assuming this came from Master Grooms or one of his students . This was on a website called commercage or something like that ,located in atlanta, anyone seen this before???
    Nope... would really like to see how Louhan is connected in there by their reasoning & research.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Hey SS

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Nope... would really like to see how Louhan is connected in there by their reasoning & research.
    How you been?? I would like to know which louhan style/ system/ set is being refered to.

How you been?? I would like to know which louhan style/ system/ set is being refered to.
    Yep. Got the rest of the link? I'm curious about that too considering it came out of Atl area.

Otherwise, hanging in, teaching, trying to get my own training in, life, etc...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

No idea... I saw the author's name. It didn't ring a bell but no big shocker.

There are some things that were "interesting" in there. All in & all... everything that's already been put out about it, put *back* out there in that format.

No idea... I saw the author's name. It didn't ring a bell but no big shocker.

There are some things that were "interesting" in there. All in & all... everything that's already been put out about it, put *back* out there in that format.
    What section did you find the authors name?? What specifically are you talking about "interesting"& *back*?? Feel free to PM me if it is going to "stir the pot".

What section did you find the authors name?? What specifically are you talking about "interesting"& *back*?? Feel free to PM me if it is going to "stir the pot".
    If you download the Word doc, you can look at the properties.

I'll hit you later. I've gotta play busy here before I go teach.

If you download the Word doc, you can look at the properties.

I'll hit you later. I've gotta play busy here before I go teach.
    DUH!! Thanks .

Cool, I understand.

Hey Sean....stir on brother...that's what this thread is about anyway
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Hey Sean....stir on brother...that's what this thread is about anyway
    BQ
    LMAO

No I am not in the pic sorry. Both of those guys I trained many moons ago. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !