View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 802 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3027027527928008018028038048128529021302 ... LastLast
Results 12,016 to 12,030 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

What is USSD?

So there was a link on here from someone commenting on USSD. Website claims some kempo background and a bunch of other stuff, but also its founders being granted Grandmaster -- both of them -- by the Abbot of the Shaolin temple? But I can't tell from their site what they profess to teach. What's the story with them?
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

he just lept at me and swept like the basic judo sweep but with out using your arm to aid in toss your opponent down

ive seen sweeps smilar to that in shotokan karate though it takes a ton of leg power just to sweep somebody using only your legs

god kc and and tat go to the doctor and get a prescription for your chronic butt hurt lol

face palm will probbaly explain the sweep better than i can

I was trying to get in a move like #4 sparring technique ( jump front sweep side thrust reverse punch) or like #8( jump block grab front sweep pull punch) But I was unable to get a hand on him or get him off balance enough to follow up with an attack. Although these work like a charm on people who arnt as quick and accurate with the jabs

aw yeah i remember that technique now from when i was at sd

They're pretty good

Those sweeps are pretty good, even when you miss. At worst, you get their attention focused down. We're not totally defenseless when we miss because our forms train immediate follow ups. Altogether, good techs that aren't seen in many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    he just lept at me and swept like the basic judo sweep but with out using your arm to aid in toss your opponent down
    I'm confused then. I thought you got to green belt in SD? That technique is taught early and often in SD (as early as sparring technique number 4).

Edit: I see where you said you remember it now. I would have thought it would be difficult to forget, but I guess it is easier when you decide to discount an art altogether.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 06-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

ive seen sweeps smilar to that in shotokan karate though it takes a ton of leg power just to sweep somebody using only your legs

god kc and and tat go to the doctor and get a prescription for your chronic butt hurt lol
    It doesn't take a ton of leg power if your angle is correct and you strike the proper place on the leg with the proper part of your leg. it takes surprising little stength if done correctly.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i just did what he said i either rooted myself or moved away or jammed him and jabbed

how do you jam a sweep of that type KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

you move into him and check it with your shin

its simliar to william cheungs wing chun entry technique

you move into him and check it with your shin
    Was he facepalm trying to sweep shin to shin?

he was trying to hook his leg a round my calf for a sweep and i moved in at the right time