View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 803 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3037037537938018028038048058138539031303 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,045 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

What happened was I was able to uproot his front leg but not enough to keep him unbalanced for long enough to get in the side thrust or pull him in for a punch.

Id get him on one leg but when I shot in further he was able to still keep his guard up and jab at me, effectively halting my advance.

When I get this technique to work its usually because i catch them putting their weight mostly on that leg and i trip them, or Im able to sort of spin them out of the way with the sweep allowing me to kick the ribs or punch the side of their head.

However I was unable to do either to Goju for the previously stated reasons.

i remember that technique working good at sd when i was there but i think thats because they teach you guys to use that fighting stance where more weight is put on the lead leg and i fight with a fifty fifty weight distribution so i can fire quicks of quickly so i think thats what made it harder. and i stick and move alot as well being that one of my training partners ay the mma gym i went to had that style it rubbed off on me
    i remember a good counter i did for that at sd was to grab their lepel and let them trip your and as your falling twist hold them and twist away as hard as you can you throw them with you and you can get side control from there

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i remember that technique working good at sd when i was there but i think thats because they teach you guys to use that fighting stance where more weight is put on the lead leg and i fight with a fifty fifty weight distribution so i can fire quicks of quickly so i think thats what made it harder. and i stick and move alot as well being that one of my training partners ay the mma gym i went to had that style it rubbed off on me
    i remember a good counter i did for that at sd was to grab their lepel and let them trip your and as your falling twist hold them and twist away as hard as you can you throw them with you and you can get side control from there
    SD doesn't teach a fighting stance with more weight on the front leg (at least not the teachers I've had). The basic stance is more 50/50. Short form uses a bo stance, but it is not for fighting as much as it is stance training and strength in the transition movements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

It's taught here 50/50.....some internal fighting stances are 60/40 more weight slightly on back leg. Also the calf is a little high for that kind of sweep.
    BQ

when i went the stance they taught us was like a weird bow stance with most of the weight on the lead legs and the hands held at a weirdway

Ive been taught sparring stance as 60% forward 40% back and that this was to make it easier to root your front foot in order to avoid getting swept or uprooted. I can also see how this would help you snap off kicks faster as you dont need to shift your weight as much prior to the kick.

In practice Id say the 50% 50% way is closer to what im actually doing considering Ill be slightly shifting my weight based on how I interpret my opponents movements.

I definitely have rooted myself against this same kind of sweep before and all it earned my opponent was a sore foot ( hopefully a little more sore than my own )

IMO the best time to use this sort of sweep is when they are stepping down hard on their foot (very un tia chi like )

But Ive really got to work on getting the side thrust follow up off quicker.

when i went the stance they taught us was like a weird bow stance with most of the weight on the lead legs and the hands held at a weirdway
    Ive never done that much research but I have seen other arts bow stances that were different than ours. Is our bow stance very common?

In all honesty the other bow stance had positions Ive seen dont really look like they make any more sense then our own.

Ours seems like its a good ready position for movement not exactly a guard.

Other ones seem to be different but for the same purpose (ie starting hand position and not to train you to guard)

it would be to good do that sweep after you a jab at their head so they are distracted

yeah it looks like the regular bow you see in most schools from what i saw
    inever like the fighting stance they showed us there thought its not springy enough for me goju has alot of crane in it and you need to be more elusive and quick

Crane

From alot of what ive read about this style and heard from the elder masters is that the crane should be quick and elusive but also that their is much stillness and patience.

Stillness punctuated by quick deceptive motion is how ive come to see the crane.

what does sd bow stance look like? any pics?

crane also has great strength in its structure.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Usually in class when I go against a tough opponent ill start using the crane because it suits the way I defend myself. I really was unable to use it very effectively against Goju though.

But I remember that for those three months of brown belt where we worked on crane forms I was sparring the best out of my whole time there.

Calmly wait for the attack jump to the side and smack their guard out of the way. Then smack em in the face.

Oh those were some fun times

Now Ive been more focused on using movements from che chien and lohan short forms. I need to develop quicker, longer, and more powerful punches and develop my ability to string combos together.

yes thats true even goju forms are still than explosive then still again its a counter attacking style as well

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    what does sd bow stance look like? Any pics?

Crane also has great strength in its structure.
    0_
    |-
    / |

yes thats true even goju forms are still than explosive then still again its a counter attacking style as well
    that would make sense with the connection to crane. for instance when we watch a crane in the wild fight, its always defensive and counter attacks, using form, stance and posture to put it into the dominant position.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.