View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 804 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3047047547948028038048058068148549041304 ... LastLast
Results 12,046 to 12,060 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

well the body should be spaced one over to the right but thats basically it.

Low as you can front leg bent and thigh horizontal, rear leg almost completely straight.
    Inside arm fist palm down and held horizontally outward with shoulder relaxed and dropped. Outside arm fist palm up chambered at waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
    0_
    |-
    / |
    im just wondering more along the lines of if your style is particular about the form of your bow stance. for instance you will find variations between styles in chinese arts, some styles are rather strict or rigid on what they think the bow stance should be.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

is the front foot angled at 45 degrees or is it straight forward?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

yep thats true a crane is natural a weak animal so it dosnt use power goju like the chinese crane syle derives its power from violent torque from the waist when you attack

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    is the front foot angled at 45 degrees or is it straight forward?
    Straight foward

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    yeah it looks like the regular bow you see in most schools from what i saw
    inever like the fighting stance they showed us there thought its not springy enough for me goju has alot of crane in it and you need to be more elusive and quick
    The fighting stances should be springy

The bowstance "should " have about a 30deg inward rotation at the foot and knee the rear foot should angle out approx 45 deg the lead will help protect the groin for a straight on attack. In shotokan the hips are in what is called Hanmi this is one hip behind the other the SD Bow hips are in the same position. thus when you throw a punch from this position this will coil the hips and add power to the following punch and so on. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    when i went the stance they taught us was like a weird bow stance with most of the weight on the lead legs and the hands held at a weirdway
    The bo stance isn't a fighting stance. It's a transitional movement that is trained static for strength and balance. Japanese karate teaches a simliar stance. The reason for sparring techniques is to help one understand basic sparring applications out of the short form.

You might find yourslef in a bo stance in a fight or for an actual application, but it is part of a transition or series of techniques. It should be part of a fluid movement and not held static. Lining up to fight from a bow stance is misleading and should be explained in connection to sparring techniques.

For example, you might step into a bo stance )either stepping forward or backward) to advance or avoid or to generate power on a technique or to root oneself.

To be fair, I've met people who postulate that one should be able to line up and fight out of a bo stance. All it takes is some quick lateral movement to show them the error in their ways.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 06-20-2009 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Any stance with attack and defense should be there for only a moment, the moment of power or impact then on you go to the next position. The better you are the shorter period of time one is in the stance. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

[QUOTE=kwaichang;942315]The bowstance "should " have about a 30deg inward rotation at the foot

Your probably right......I've only practice Internal for years now and the stances are different
    BQ

i know but the official sd fighting stance i was taught lloked liek a bow stance and they insisted we fight with that the upper body is leaned forward tooand one fist is like at chest level and the other at nose

The sparring stance as described to me has been said to be halfway between a bow and horse stance with your feet out of alignment for lateral support.

It is taught at CSCs that your supposed to have 60% weight forward but I dont think that is supposed to decrease the mobility of the stance your still supposed to be light on your feet but I think the 60% weight forward is to aid in rooting against a sweep or so Ive been told.

The arms are held outward away from the body at like a 135 degree angle with the rear fist guarding alongside the forearm of the lead arm.

Thats the best way I can describe how this stance was taught to me

[QUOTE=Baqualin;942420]
    Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    The bowstance "should " have about a 30deg inward rotation at the foot

Your probably right......I've only practice Internal for years now and the stances are different
    BQ
    Ah don't worry, they're different between the north & the south too...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Sparring stance...

I have both my feet at a 45. Back foot internally rotated , front foot externally rotated.

Are you sure it's not the other way around?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.