View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 805 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3057057557958038048058068078158559051305 ... LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,075 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Are you sure it's not the other way around?
    Yes, if it was the other way I would be going backwards.

Well you totally confused me then but that's not actually hard to do.

So your back foot is turned in (pigeon toe) and your front foot is turned out?

Facing up ^

\ - front foot external rotate
    \ - back foot internal rotate

?????

or

/
    /

That's how I stand.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

i do my sparring tech. from a cat stance?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

yeah that makes no sense either yao you wouldnt be in the bow stance with your lead foor sticking out its eithe rpointing strait or tucked inwards

cats allright i dotn like to use "stances" as in hosrse stance bow etc etc to fight because they were intended to be used to fight in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i know but the official sd fighting stance i was taught lloked liek a bow stance and they insisted we fight with that the upper body is leaned forward tooand one fist is like at chest level and the other at nose
    There is no "official" SD fighting stance. You were there less than a year? The sparring techniques that were taught to green level did have the hand placement like you described, but it was not leaning forward. If you were taught that, then you were taught wrong. Heck, you can look at the KET tapes and see how the The' brothers taught sparring techniques. It is not like you are describing.

The sparring techniques were basic fundamental combinations that were straight sparring applications out of short form. You figure out what works for you by trial and error.

EDIT: I just read where facepalm confirmed that CSC taught a 60% weight on the front foot sparring stance. That's weird to me. I've not trained with the CSC (Soards) before. I've trained with people from Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas and Atlanta in my 20 years, and I've never known anyone to teach a fighting stance with an emphasis on weight on the front leg. But like I said when goju first started showing up, SD is very diverse in how much leeway each group is given to teach and interpret the material. There are many differences from area to area and there's lots of disagreement in how something should be done. That isn't always discussed on an internet forum because that's internal politics. SD is attacked enough from the outside to waste time arguing from the inside.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 06-21-2009 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    yeah that makes no sense either yao you wouldnt be in the bow stance with your lead foor sticking out its eithe rpointing strait or tucked inwards

cats allright i dotn like to use "stances" as in hosrse stance bow etc etc to fight because they were intended to be used to fight in the first place
    They weren't intended to be used as a static stance in a fight. But the traditional stances teach you proper body mechanics and how you should be transitioning in your fighting. They are often over emphasized in training for stength and endurance purposes, but the general mechanics should be there when you are moving.

Since we are talking stances, what's the biggest limitation to the cat stance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    So there was a link on here from someone commenting on USSD. Website claims some kempo background and a bunch of other stuff, but also its founders being granted Grandmaster -- both of them -- by the Abbot of the Shaolin temple? But I can't tell from their site what they profess to teach. What's the story with them?
    There is a whole thread on here about USSD. From what little I know about them, they were originally a Kenpo school that some students broke off from, a guy named Mattera. They started teaching a little fu mixed in with their Kempo. From what I understand, Mattera went to the Temple and donated several thousand dollars and received his 10th degree black belt and title of grandmaster from Shi Yong Xin. Now, that is just downright weird because Shaolin Temple doesn't have a ranking system so there is no such thing as a 10th degree black belt. As for the title of grandmaster, it is likely that he recieved that due to his generous donation to the temple. Akin to recieving an honorary degree from a University when you make large donations to them.

i use cat for sparring tech, with a 60-70%back foot and 30-40%front foot. it was just the way i was taught to begin. i feel it keeps my front foot ready to move in any direction, up for a kick or to drive out to close distance, or instead or rooting to prevent a sweep, i just move the foot and counter...

disadvantage??,,, some people tend to mostly just stand on their rear foot and because of the they can not move quickly at all,,, but i do not believe that is proper but it is the most commen problem i see in teaching it
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Well you totally confused me then but that's not actually hard to do.

So your back foot is turned in (pigeon toe) and your front foot is turned out?

Facing up ^

\ - front foot external rotate
    \ - back foot internal rotate

?????

or

/
    /

That's how I stand.
    They could be either way depending on which side is forward. Also, I do not practice with them in direct alignment with each other. Meaning the back foot is not directly behind the lead foot, or the heel of the back foot is inline with the ball of the foot of the lead leg.

As for weight distribution, I was also taught that it is 60 /40 for sparring stance. All stances have weight distribution whether you were taught that way or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    There is no "official" SD fighting stance. You were there less than a year? The sparring techniques that were taught to green level did have the hand placement like you described, but it was not leaning forward. If you were taught that, then you were taught wrong. Heck, you can look at the KET tapes and see how the The' brothers taught sparring techniques. It is not like you are describing.

The sparring techniques were basic fundamental combinations that were straight sparring applications out of short form. You figure out what works for you by trial and error.

EDIT: I just read where facepalm confirmed that CSC taught a 60% weight on the front foot sparring stance. That's weird to me. I've not trained with the CSC (Soards) before. I've trained with people from Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas and Atlanta in my 20 years, and I've never known anyone to teach a fighting stance with an emphasis on weight on the front leg. But like I said when goju first started showing up, SD is very diverse in how much leeway each group is given to teach and interpret the material. There are many differences from area to area and there's lots of disagreement in how something should be done. That isn't always discussed on an internet forum because that's internal politics. SD is attacked enough from the outside to waste time arguing from the inside.
    I have never heard or seen done it how he describes it. He must be confused.

You say that 60 % is weird to you , why?? Isnt the sparring stance supposed to be more weight on the front foot than the back foot?? You didnt learn stances with specific weight distributions??
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 06-21-2009 at 10:49 AM.

no im not, from what face plalm described it must be the same as what i was shown years ago and they called it our fighting stance

yes but not to fight with having to much weight on either foot is a problem for mobility

ill send a pic to pens e latter on showing the stance i was taught at sd

allright i sent the pic i beleive i got it all correct from what i remember from sd training

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    i use cat for sparring tech, with a 60-70%back foot and 30-40%front foot. it was just the way i was taught to begin. i feel it keeps my front foot ready to move in any direction, up for a kick or to drive out to close distance, or instead or rooting to prevent a sweep, i just move the foot and counter...

disadvantage??,,, some people tend to mostly just stand on their rear foot and because of the they can not move quickly at all,,, but i do not believe that is proper but it is the most commen problem i see in teaching it
    I agree, I personally utilize this stance quite frequently in sparring.

It's helped quite a bit, allows my front foot to kick faster than a bow & arrow stance would. Allows footwork changes fast and angles as well.

But I guess there are pro's and con's as well.
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Cat stance?

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post

I think that, even if you have only 30% of your weight on your front foot, you're not technically doing a cat stance, but rather a rear-weighted sparring stance. I use approximately a 60 rear/40 front distribution. I feel like I can move my front leg quickly enough to check kicks and can get off front-leg kicks quickly from that position, while preserving the ability to quickly transfer weight forward for more powerful crosses and back leg kicks.

When sparring from a true cat stance, I fell like I lose power on front leg kicks and all my punches, unless I transition weight to that foot, which happens more slowly if almost all my wieght is on the back leg.

I'm just a 3rd brown, though, so I may just need more time to get comfortable with the cat. Being 6'5, 235, though, I don't like putting the vast majority of my weight on any one leg unless the other is airborne in route to a target.