View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 806 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3067067567968048058068078088168569061306 ... LastLast
Results 12,076 to 12,090 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Cat Stance is 90/10 and Reverse Sparring Stance or ( San Ti Stance from Xing Yi) is 60/40 depending on who you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I have never heard or seen done it how he describes it. He must be confused.

You say that 60 % is weird to you , why?? Isnt the sparring stance supposed to be more weight on the front foot than the back foot?? You didnt learn stances with specific weight distributions??
    I did, but I was taught that a sparring stance should be 50/50 more or less. the weight distribution from foot to foot will fluctuate vastly while sparring depending on whether you are advancing, retreating, rooting, evading etc. but the best mobility and least chance of being pulled or pushed off-balance comes from a mobile stance with equal weight distribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

if you put too much weight on the lead leg you can get puled off balance if yo put too much on the back you can get knocke dodwn to easily ive never seen a krate sensie worth his weiht using those stances to spar

A stance in fighting should not exist as soon as you are there you are gone, Stances are good for training purposes in my opinion. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    A stance in fighting should not exist as soon as you are there you are gone, Stances are good for training purposes in my opinion. KC
    I think we are using the word stance for two different concepts. You are 100% correct with what you are saying. The idea that you take a stance to fight is misleading, but apparently some people have been taught to put more weight on the front leg or vice versa. You should be able to have a guard and in a position to move with maximum efficiency. I think, along the lines you say, that you should be fluid and mobile with, at least initally, equal weight distribution for mobility. At any given point in a match or fight, the weight distribution will be more or less depending on the circumstances.

Take San Ti for example. It has a specific weight distribution that one assumes before launcing into one of the roads of hsing Ie, but I doubt that the intent is to actually go into san ti prior to fighting. Thoughts on that anyone?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

go ahead and post it pen thats why i sent it
    this ws the "official" sd fighting stance i was taught by the soards while i was at csc

New goju picture

Here's a pic goju e-mailed to me showing the stance he was taught at the CSC.

its a ****ty stance as well thats when i started turning around my opinion of them the lead leg is to open to kick and the hands can be trapped easily nor is it good for mobility

god i look cool in that photo lmao

Determined By Circumstances

I think everyone has a "natural" stance once they've sparred for a while.

I agree with JP. The circumstances determine what you do at that moment.

IMO a well rounded fighter will train various stances in order to give himself a wider variety of movement options.

I feel that limiting yourself to one type of stance might lead to other unconscious habits. I think these types of things can potentially make a fighter easier to read, especially when tired.

Train to be adaptable and you will be.

I actually think that my CP helps me spar to some degree. My height changes with every step I take. This makes my reach very hard to gauge, especially since I have really long arms. In order to compensate for my mobility issues, I tend to "hop" on the balls of my feet when I spar. This helps me go with the flow of my opponent and often results in me gaining superior position.

Unfortunately, I circle to one side better than the other and I still have crappy balance. But, I do not have a "set" sparring stance at all.

I also love to spar, so I don't get upset when I'm handed my butt on a plate from time to time. It all just makes you better.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

i switched my stance up now i fight south paw good thing is iused to be the other way but with a south paw stance my power side is forward and what i do since most people keep there weak side forward is i stay on there weak hand and leg thus you have my power side go against there weak it works like a charm

i like the taekwondo stance iw as taught its similar to bruce lees jeet kune do stance and gives you good protection and mobility

I got to admit

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Here's a pic goju e-mailed to me showing the stance he was taught at the CSC.
    The way you play it, Goju, you certainly make it seem like a boxer's stance from the 1800s. If that's the way you perceive the stance, no wonder you didn't like it. While the sparring techniques have a lot of backfists, I don't remember ever holding my hands in that postition (or loading the front foot 60% for that matter), but you've intrigued me. I'm going to have someone photograph my sparring techiques so I can see if my stance ever resembles that.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i switched my stance up now i fight south paw good thing is iused to be the other way but with a south paw stance my power side is forward and what i do since most people keep there weak side forward is i stay on there weak hand and leg thus you have my power side go against there weak it works like a charm

i like the taekwondo stance iw as taught its similar to bruce lees jeet kune do stance and gives you good protection and mobility
    I was initially taught to fight southpaw incidently.

its a good route to switch it up to southie if your right handed your jab will be strong enough to knock somebody out

I think they would have to have a glass jaw for a jab to knock someone out. That or you would have to have the perfect angle on their jawline.