View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 808 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3087087587988068078088098108188589081308 ... LastLast
Results 12,106 to 12,120 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I used to train SD and the basic stance they taught when we first started sparring was the right foot forward stance with your weight equally distributed among both feet so you can move in either direction quickly.

I've seen people fight with more weight on their front foot, like a 60/40 and to be honest... as soon as I see that I start plotting

Someone made a reference to that being similar to and older boxing stance and that would make sense... they don't have to worry about kicks. Its harder to check a leg kick from a 60/40 stance so you would probably end up taking some punishment. I know they did not train leg kicks in the SD school I attended so maybe that explains why some people might have adopted that stance. You're still vulnerable to sweeps though.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Gojo, If you were taught that stance as a way to fight...I would have gone wtf too......FYI I been in SD for 35 years and never seen anything like that....if I fought someone like that I would probably lose the match from laughing myself to death. By the way there is no official SD fighting stances...each person has to develop that for themselves.....with that said the sparring techniques are taught in a standard way for teaching purposes...you can then take that and develop what works for you.
    BQ
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    I used to train SD and the basic stance they taught when we first started sparring was the right foot forward stance with your weight equally distributed among both feet so you can move in either direction quickly.

I've seen people fight with more weight on their front foot, like a 60/40 and to be honest... as soon as I see that I start plotting

Someone made a reference to that being similar to and older boxing stance and that would make sense... they don't have to worry about kicks. Its harder to check a leg kick from a 60/40 stance so you would probably end up taking some punishment. I know they did not train leg kicks in the SD school I attended so maybe that explains why some people might have adopted that stance. You're still vulnerable to sweeps though.
    and ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The photo of Goju and his stance look very much the way Bill used to teach a sparring method incorporating BaQua back in the mid-70s. At that time, the Soards were students at the Louisville club. Of course, there are some differences in what was in that photo and what Bill taught. Way back when, Keith Murray and Keith Krawiec were the only ones I remember really getting good with it. But then I have sometimers. : )

The photo of Goju and his stance look very much the way Bill used to teach a sparring method incorporating BaQua back in the mid-70s. At that time, the Soards were students at the Louisville club. Of course, there are some differences in what was in that photo and what Bill taught. You could use the deflection and trapping from the position and short kicks, elbows and knees were easy to use from that position, as well. I believe he called it a three point or three post sparring position. Way back when, Keith Murray and Keith Krawiec were the only ones I remember really getting good with it. But then I have sometimers. : )

Quote Originally Posted by OldandUsed View Post
    The photo of Goju and his stance look very much the way Bill used to teach a sparring method incorporating BaQua back in the mid-70s. At that time, the Soards were students at the Louisville club. Of course, there are some differences in what was in that photo and what Bill taught. You could use the deflection and trapping from the position and short kicks, elbows and knees were easy to use from that position, as well. I believe he called it a three point or three post sparring position. Way back when, Keith Murray and Keith Krawiec were the only ones I remember really getting good with it. But then I have sometimers. : )
    That's also the Hsing I stance, it's still 50/50 to 60 (rear)/40 weight distribution, no leaning forward and the hands are not held like Jack Dempsey...it's very similiar to the Jiulong Baqua wedge...very good for what you stated above along with uprooting and take downs...anybody who has learned Hsing I shattering hands knows what I mean.....as soon as the target attacks, you attack.
    BQ

Yes, that is true. The three point had been shown to us before the Hsing Ie class was taught, so that was the reference I used. Good point, though.

60/40

I believe there is a misunderstanding in regards to the weight distribution.

I believe that you are supposed to be defending yourself from all directions and that the idea behind the sparring stance is that you are dealing with someone who is in front of you and because your upper torso, head and arms are turned in that direction that more of your weight is in the front than the back and naturally puts the weight forward on the lead leg.

It as if you are standing in a horse stance the weight is 50/50 meaning that if you cut the body in half along the sagital plain that 50% would fall on either side, where as if they were in fighting stance that 60%would fall forward and 40% would fall backwards.

These were the ideas that were conveyed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I believe there is a misunderstanding in regards to the weight distribution.

I believe that you are supposed to be defending yourself from all directions and that the idea behind the sparring stance is that you are dealing with someone who is in front of you and because your upper torso, head and arms are turned in that direction that more of your weight is in the front than the back and naturally puts the weight forward on the lead leg.

It as if you are standing in a horse stance the weight is 50/50 meaning that if you cut the body in half along the sagital plain that 50% would fall on either side, where as if they were in fighting stance that 60%would fall forward and 40% would fall backwards.

These were the ideas that were conveyed to me.
    It would be hard to generate explosive power that way.....where your spine is in relation to your feet is what decides where your weight distribution is. If your posture is correct you have a direct line of force from your rear foot up your spine and out your fist......from the front there's no direct line of force to your fist.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    It would be hard to generate explosive power that way.....where your spine is in relation to your feet is what decides where your weight distribution is. If your posture is correct you have a direct line of force from your rear foot up your spine and out your fist......from the front there's no direct line of force to your fist.
    BQ
    Can you please explain with a little more detail?

I understand that the energy runs along the kinetic chain from the back foot, along the length of the leg, up the spine, along the length of the arm and out from the fist.

Like I said, I understand it as how much of your body is on oneside over the other not so much as you have more weight in the lead leg than the back.

I agree that no one should stay in one stance in a self defense / fighting situation for longer than a split second. However, for stability, balance, strength , weight distribution through a specific range of motion, etc. practicing stances both statically and dynamically with various weight distributions is beneficial.

Hand Positions

.......in sparring stance, are they in an uppercut postion or vertical fist position?? I know that out west they do it with both hands in an uppercut position.( 1800s boxer style)

I have a video of EML (from the 80s) doing it with lead hand uppecut position and back hand in a horizontal postion.

Anyone???

Sounds likie you are describing ST # 1 KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

They could be either way depending on which side is forward. Also, I do not practice with them in direct alignment with each other. Meaning the back foot is not directly behind the lead foot, or the heel of the back foot is inline with the ball of the foot of the lead leg.
    No, you said the rear foot was turned inward and the front outward so it doesn't matter which foot is forward. And my original example had them separated but the second one was a quik showing.

So you do turn your lead foot outward?

Isnt the sparring stance supposed to be more weight on the front foot than the back foot??
    Not at any school/style of Karate/Kung Fu I ever studied.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i switched my stance up now i fight south paw good thing is iused to be the other way but with a south paw stance my power side is forward and what i do since most people keep there weak side forward is i stay on there weak hand and leg thus you have my power side go against there weak it works like a charm
    Northern Mantis uses strong side forward, something that came about gradually with me and I didn't notice as it was happening. I alternate when I fight but used to favor left forward (I'm right handed) but now I seem to go for right side forward more often.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Since we are talking stances, what's the biggest limitation to the cat stance?
    Coughing up a hairball when attacked?

Dog stance chases you over the furniture?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

yeah me too now i cant fight with my weaker side forward any more im a full turned southy

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Sounds likie you are describing ST # 1 KC
    Arent all sparring techniques done from the same position??