View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 810 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3107107608008088098108118128208609101310 ... LastLast
Results 12,136 to 12,150 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Is that really a Walt Whitman quote?

Wasnt he a writer, poet, and naturalist or something?

I guess its a joke that im not getting

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Shouldn't our training include reducing and/ or eliminating a dominate side??
    Everyone is either right or left handed, that is what I am referring to when I say dominant side. Even those who are ambidextrous have a preference otherwise they'd sit around for ten minutes trying to figure out which hand they want to pick their fork up with.

If you look at my previous post, I recommend NOT fighting dominant side forward. Why, because you'll have a weak side and your opponent will eventually expose it. Forcing yourself to put your weak hand forward will, in time, give you the ability to defend well from either position.

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
    I know that the Elder Masters in Colorado continually stress practicing everything twice as much on your weaker side. They say to do this because "hes not always gonna be on your right side" and also to combat health problems associated with only using your right (like how baseball players and tennis players get bad elbows and shoulders from all the dominant handed repetitive motions they must preform).

On a side note... this month weve been learning the single ended staff form and I think ive been over doing the La Na Chas. Ive really done a number on my right knee dropping into reverse bow for the Na and shifting into forward for the Cha.

Do you guys have any pointers for reducing or preparing myself for knee torques like this in the future?....

Theres gonna be alot of spear down the road for me and Id like to prevent injury.
    Watch your structure and make sure your knee always tracks with your foot. Looking down your knee should always be over your foot and never to one side or the other. When transitioning make sure you allow your foot to pivot and move so that it does not put strain on your knee. That's my two cents

Is that really a Walt Whitman quote?

Wasnt he a writer, poet, and naturalist or something?

I guess its a joke that im not getting
    It's not a joke. Think about what it means and relate that to your training.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Watch your structure and make sure your knee always tracks with your foot. Looking down your knee should always be over your foot and never to one side or the other. When transitioning make sure you allow your foot to pivot and move so that it does not put strain on your knee. That's my two cents
    That makes sense.

I think I hurt myself doing the form on concrete with no shoes on making me unable to pivot my foot as well as I can on carpet or with shoes on (my feet arnt quite there yet ).

Ill try to keep that in mind when practicing and maybe ill take it easy on the Na Cha's for a while.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Yes, but you're fighting mother nature there. Most people, even with training, will still have stronger sides depending on the technique. You can minimize it, but it will still be there.
    Cool,
    I dont believe that it is so much mother nature as it is laziness and bad habits.

My son is a stealth walker and can sneak up on anyone I am going to see if he can walk the rice paper without tearing it!!! Now on the subject if you are trained properly you should be able to do every technique from either side. Therefore there shouldnt be a dominant side. Also Facepalm I am not sure which guen form you speak of but there isnt a reverse bow in La Na Cha KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Everyone is either right or left handed, that is what I am referring to when I say dominant side. Even those who are ambidextrous have a preference otherwise they'd sit around for ten minutes trying to figure out which hand they want to pick their fork up with.

If you look at my previous post, I recommend NOT fighting dominant side forward. Why, because you'll have a weak side and your opponent will eventually expose it. Forcing yourself to put your weak hand forward will, in time, give you the ability to defend well from either position.
    I am ambidexterous, for me it just depends on which side of the plate the fork is on.

I understand what you mean though.

To reprogram the brain and the kinetic chain anything that we do predominately with oneside we should train ourselves to do with the opposite side. Then we eliminate weaknesses within our overall thinking feeling and doing.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    My son is a stealth walker and can sneak up on anyone I am going to see if he can walk the rice paper without tearing it!!! Now on the subject if you are trained properly you should be able to do every technique from either side. Therefore there shouldnt be a dominant side. Also Facepalm I am not sure which guen form you speak of but there isnt a reverse bow in La Na Cha KC
    LMAO!! That would be cool!!!

I agree whole heartedly.

I think he is refering to the cross step ( la) step through reverse bow (na) and then the forward bow( cha).
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 06-25-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Im talking about "Se mien pa fang kuen" (how its spelled in my manual)

On the "Na" we are told to drop into reverse bow stance as we "Take" the weapon down horizontally and then spring into forward bow stance as we "Cha"

What stance should I drop into for the "Na"?

I guess a horse stance would be a little more knee friendly.

Im talking about "Se mien pa fang kuen" (how its spelled in my manual)

On the "Na" we are told to drop into reverse bow stance as we "Take" the weapon down horizontally and then spring into forward bow stance as we "Cha"

What stance should I drop into for the "Na"?

I guess a horse stance would be a little more knee friendly.
    You are talking about the cross step ( twisted stance / female stance)( la) reverse bow ( na) and forwardbow (cha) Correct?

Like SD jerry said you have to make sure that your hip knee and ankle are in alignment. Dont go down so far until you have that type of flexibility.

HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY......

Bent monk!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    You are talking about the crossstep ( la) reverse bow ( na) and forwardbow (cha) Correct?

Like SD jerry said you have to make sure that your hip knee and ankle are in alignment. Dont go down so far until you have that type of flexibility.
    Yea,

Thats how its taught here.

Thanks for the pointers guys. Im pretty good at getting low but I guess my body isnt ready for this type of movement yet.

Ill take this form slow and more reserved so I can build a base for all the awesome spear forms coming up next year.

I really never thought Id like spears so much but It just feels awesome to thrust that thing.

One of the BBs said he heard that GGMICM could do a "Na" and splinter the white waxwood staff with the force of his drop.

Some more fun stories

Yea,

Thats how its taught here.

Thanks for the pointers guys. Im pretty good at getting low but I guess my body isnt ready for this type of movement yet.

Ill take this form slow and more reserved so I can build a base for all the awesome spear forms coming up next year.

I really never thought Id like spears so much but It just feels awesome to thrust that thing.

One of the BBs said he heard that GGMICM could do a "Na" and splinter the white waxwood staff with the force of his drop.

Some more fun stories
    Cool, Thats how I remember it too.

You are right you should take it slow .

The movement is complexed and puts a great stress on the right knee. You must use proper body mechanics.

Spear is an awesome weapon.

Many cool stories.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    splitting your training time for both sides
    along the lines of the old adage, practice one technique a thousand times, or a thousand one time....

we've all heard it

it also makes a HUGE difference if you plan on fighting competatively as to how your going to train, and what your game plan is going to be, generally speaking.

everyone should be competent with either side, but most all of us will have a stronger side regardless of what we do.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.