View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 812 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3127127628028108118128138148228629121312 ... LastLast
Results 12,166 to 12,180 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    OH, you know that!!!! . It transends CMA and martial arts.
    hehe ya, imagine all the fights that started in house because training brothers were arguing how to do something two different ways when in actuality their teacher probably just showed them each a different method !

gotta get the figthin in somehow
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    hehe ya, imagine all the fights that started in house because training brothers were arguing how to do something two different ways when in actuality their teacher probably just showed them each a different method !

gotta get the figthin in somehow
    Exactly!!! Some of the continued arguments about such small stuff could be avoided if the powers that be would step up and say something, then everyone could go back to training and fighting about important stuff.

Everyone wants to be a big fish so if something is different from the norm they become special. I look at the application for say La Na Cha and then I look at the Bio-mechanics to see if it is sound that is how I analyse techniques and their credibility. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    Don't many sport MMA fighters preach weight forward stance, or at least equal, to make one less susceptible to take downs? Even though MORE susceptible to other things?
    yeah i was taught a smilar stance at the gym i went to its a horribly dumb way to fight your lead leg is exposed to much and you cant move in and out quickly

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    IMO The issue with fighting dominant side forward is that you puts your power up front and exposed. Most people who train dominant side forward have the same problem you mention, they can not fight with the weaker side forward.

Any good fighter will notice that dominant side forward and start attacking that lead leg. What happens is eventually those kicks add up so you switch stances to protect the leg. Now all you have is the side forward you don't train and that's where it starts to get ugly.

That's what I was taught and I've used those tactis so I know they work.
    actually i didnt say i cant fight with that the other side forward i just said i can only fight in the south paw stance now mobility wise it feels to uncomfortable to fight with my dominant right hand and leg back
    and the way power side forward works is you do the majority of the attacking with the lead and stay on your opponents weak side which is usually their lead
    and because this is rare for someone to fight like this its unlikely unless they are psychic that they will know that you have your power side forward

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Yes, but you're fighting mother nature there. Most people, even with training, will still have stronger sides depending on the technique. You can minimize it, but it will still be there.
    no matter how much you train it it likey one side is going to be stronger than the other even slightly
    i caneasily knock some one out with my left leg and hand as i can my right
    however most people are orthodox fighters and rely too much on their power hand thefore if you stay on a right handed person weak lead side and you have your power side forward you can stick to this side and you have your power going against his weak

this was an old school boxing technique that seems to be lost now though even top mma fighters are always circling the wrong direction and moving into their opponents
    power hand i think one of the few who dosnt is anderson silva

even bruce lee reconized the usefulness of having your power side forward
    think about is
    your dominant hand is allready strong there fore you should keep it in the lead and rely more on that torque you get from your hips by keeping your weaker in the rear thereby making your weaker side just as strong as your right

and those san sho fighters got slaughtered by the muay thai fighters because they werent as good as them not what stance they adopted dosnt matter what side you have forward if your opponent technique is better than yours

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    and those san sho fighters got slaughtered by the muay thai fighters because they werent as good as them not what stance they adopted dosnt matter what side you have forward if your opponent technique is better than yours
    Why do left-handed pitchers give right-handed batters such problems? The ball still comes over the same plate.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

baseball has nothing to remotely do with fighting

It is the angle of the entry much like the elusive lead. Or Jab all Biomechanical movements are inter related. To have a dominant lead and realising it is a weakness , and lends itself to under developement of the other side. Whether intentional or not KC

nope sorry if you think baseball and fighting are similar than theres something wrong with you you can use all the bio mechanical talk you want lol its still a dumb analogy

La Na Cha

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Master Leonard and another 6th degree master The purpose of Na is to disarm and the Reverse Bow is a defensive posture loading to promote power to the Cha technique while there is more power generation for the Cha with a previous reverse bow , Rotational power from the hips will generate more focus due to the path of the spear or Guen KC
    Don't know if this helps or hurts, but when I learned the spear forms in early 80's, I distinctly remember, and have done it that way since: la or lan (cross step behind), na (step into horse stance as lower the spear to horizontal position), cha (thrust into forward bow stance), and return to the na horse position. Some variations within the forms (one hand or two hand thrusts, sometimes the stances change) but that is basically it.

So, first time I ever heard of "reverse bow" for na position, was here now. And I had a rep for being very form technical, I think.

So, I pulled out my notes. Not my notes actually, but GMS's handwritten ones, with the Chinese terms and characters and his "fine points" for each move; and then, I was lead to believe, EML's hand written additions, all dated "7-25-80."

GMS: Only says, I think translating the Chinese, "cha pu chung ping lan, na, cha chiang." "In the middle of a cross step, do a horizontal deflect, take, and thrust the spear."

EML (I'm pretty sure), after the opening for example of the first spear form (Chiang Su Lian Si, or "Spear Fighting Techniques"):

"Bring the right leg behind the left leg, while bringing the spear to the LA position. Step into a horse stance with the left leg and bring the spear into the NA position. Change the stance to a left bow and thrust the spear to the CHA position and go back into a horse stance."

So at least ORIGINALLY, and for me still, and per the original written descriptions, no "reverse bow" for na.

Just some historical perspective. No doubt changed by someone. And my video tape of the spear forms, made also in the mid to late 80's by EML and another contemporary, also has horse for na.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Sorry, wrong form.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    It is the angle of the entry much like the elusive lead. Or Jab all Biomechanical movements are inter related. To have a dominant lead and realising it is a weakness , and lends itself to under developement of the other side. Whether intentional or not KC
    I agree.

Can you believe this kid( goju)??

He just wants to disagree with me, I experience that alot, but like you said I am a little strong willed that way. Maybe I should go back to Aikido haha. KC