View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 826 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3267267768168248258268278288368769261326 ... LastLast
Results 12,376 to 12,390 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    what on earth is going on this thread now?
    i dont dislike gene i was joking along with wookie about hating kung fu magazine
    nor do i hate mexicans im married to one

?????????????? your guys need to stop taking your weirdo pills

seriously
    I thought so. I knew you were joking around with good-natured ribald...but when you couple that with bad spelling, poor punctuation and capitalization, and link it to your trolling on the thread---it makes you sound like a racist redneck.

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you spell it.

And we all know you only married that mexican so you could make her pay her taxes.

Free Speech has always been limited. It's the limits the constitution and the law place on the degree the goverment can limit speech that keeps it "free."

Here we are not on a street corner talking about whatever we want. We agreed to limit what we can say be agreeing to the terms of the site. So the moderators have discretion to ban or punish us for what we say. If we don't like it, we can leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

So The Golden Leopard Fist 3rd and 4th roads festival was this weekend.

I still feel like ive been hit by a bus.

so many elbows

so many knees

my brain was fried by the end of the day

GMT was funny and energetic all day. He urged us all to worry about our health and drink wheat grass.

Then he told a long story about some huge guy from back in the day.

Overall it was a blast.

Ive managed to learn the two forms minus the pressure points. But I know which parts of the body the strikes are intended to go.

This form is definitely the most physically challenging one by far that ive learned.

I cant wait to polish it up

I'm A Bit Late But...

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Bent monk!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
    Thanks. They say this is when life begins...so far they're right.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
    Then he told a long story about some huge guy from back in the day.
    Was it, by any chance, about a bodybuilder dude who threw a motorcycle over a fence when his house was on fire, and GM Ie caused to **** his pants after activating a pressure point in his hand?

We've prob. all heard that yarn by now.

naw it was about a guy who was really strong but mute who loved martial arts. who wanted to be a general but he needed money to enter the tournament so he worked the job of 10 guys a lumber mill for 2 years.

And then he married this chick who didnt want to get married to anyone and she was really smart.

And they had like a really awesome daughter or something.

There was also like a giant warhammer made from a bell or something somewhere in the story.

naw it was about a guy who was really strong but mute who loved martial arts. who wanted to be a general but he needed money to enter the tournament so he worked the job of 10 guys a lumber mill for 2 years.

And then he married this chick who didnt want to get married to anyone and she was really smart.

And they had like a really awesome daughter or something.

There was also like a giant warhammer made from a bell or something somewhere in the story.
    Oh. He was talking about me. BTW, The chinese word for warhammer is more along the lines of "Huge Dong." I think by the "bell" he was referring to my prodigious ding-dong.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 07-20-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Anyone ever heard of Shuang Lin (Twin Groves, I think) Monastery in Singapore?

Looks like it was an early 20th C. offshoot of Shaolin that settled in Singapore, taught Shaolin martial arts, and wasn't that far off from Indonesia.

I looked for examples of their forms to see regional differences between what we do and what they do, but all I could find was "Nam Pai Chuan"--a kind of offshoot of Shuang Lin. It looked like karatefied CMA in a way, way more karatefied than karatefied SD. Still--they have a form on youtube where they do that low crouching stance that is almost "bird-like".

Would be interesting to see what Shuang Lin's arts look like, and consider that if--and that's a big if--GGM Ie was a monk, he may have been familiar with the place.

The Robe

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    The first time I saw him in the robe was in the early 70's......he demo'd Iron Man (Buell Armory) before he taught it to us........it was an experience I still remember.
    BQ
    I remember a few times, when he was testing lower belts, wearing that robe for the testing. Never heard why or what it was. Mid to late 70's, early 80's.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

I know I asked my teacher, and got a negative, but I can't remember if I asked you old-timers:

Are there lyrics for the main curriculum's material--the lower belt forms-black?]

I have lyrics for all of the extra stuff I've learned, except CrazyMad Drunk and Drunken Straight Sword.

Just looking for more stuff to flesh out what I'm learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post

And we all know you only married that mexican so you could make her pay her taxes.
    LMAO!!!!! ah man that was ****in funny

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I know I asked my teacher, and got a negative, but I can't remember if I asked you old-timers:

Are there lyrics for the main curriculum's material--the lower belt forms-black?]

I have lyrics for all of the extra stuff I've learned, except CrazyMad Drunk and Drunken Straight Sword.

Just looking for more stuff to flesh out what I'm learning.
    dont know if the is "lyrics" but i think it is from ky ...

White to Rok-Kyu (Yellow Belt)

Short Kata 10 of 108 origin.: Honan Shaolin Temple
    Tuan Ta Fa Chien

1. punch with headblock, block down, step
    2. punch with headblock, block down, block up,
    punch with deadblock, hit kick
    3. thrust with headblock, punch with headblock, hitkick
    4. block, twist, sweep
    5. double front kick with yell
    6. punch with headblock, smash, smash, block back and
    smash, smash, hitkick
    7. block, twist, sweep, back sweep with blocks, front kick
    8. cross kick, front kick, turn, back kick, back kick
    9. front cross kick, front kick, back kick, back kick
    10. pivot to horse stance with blocks, block in, jump and
    punch out, block out, jump and punch out

Sparring Techniques
    Luan Ta Fa Shu

1. hit
    2. three attack
    3. jump, trap, front kick, hit
    4. jump, sweep, side thrust, hit
    5. jump three attack in air
    6. jump, back sweep, front kick, hit
    7. hook kick
    8. cover sweep, hit
    9. jumping side thrust, block down
    10. surprise attack

Self - Defense Techniques
    1. grab the hair 5. reverse finger lock
    2. grab the hair from behind 6. low finger lock
    3. front choke 7. shoulder finger lock
    4. choke form behind 8. high finger lock
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

I was thinking more for the animal forms and weapons forms.

You know, how the golden leopards have lyrics, etc.

Some of 'em are not poetic, like White Monkey STP---those lyrics are really kind of like the ones you posted. Just wondering if the cranes, birds, or mountain tiger had something similar.

GMT

had stories that went along with sections of the golden leopard forms. They really help me remember those sections.

Ive never really heard anything about lyrics but Id be interested to find out

GMT

had stories that went along with sections of the golden leopard forms. They really help me remember those sections.

Ive never really heard anything about lyrics but Id be interested to find out
    Exactly. I don't have problems remembering forms, nowadays. But in the Double Daggers, in the Leopards, etc....the posture names help you determine a flow sometimes in your form, so you know where the marker points are.

It's my opinion that SD doesn't look that karate-ish if you manage to find the marker points in a form--where you ought to pause for a second or two, often where a technique ends.

I think it's part of how SD is trained across the board on the external side--we use the forms for cardio and rush through them without recognizing their internal pace---something that is also determined by the animal characteristics. Yeah, it's a bit like acting or role-playing, or dancing---just a little--but hey, we knew that when we picked CMA animal based stuff.