View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 828 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3287287788188268278288298308388789281328 ... LastLast
Results 12,406 to 12,420 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I think the most remarkable thing about the tournament was that when I had finished, all of the ancient Chinese men in the audience stood up and applauded, saying: "Surely this is the true Shaolin martial art!"

LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I think the most remarkable thing about the tournament was that when I had finished, all of the ancient Chinese men in the audience stood up and applauded, saying: "Surely this is the true Shaolin martial art!"

LOL....
    "Just like I was taught before Mao."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Great Job Wook......always love your attitude!!!!!
    BQ

Hi Baqualin KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    There's always an Official CMA/Unofficial CMA tension. Atlanta is a breeding grounds, IMO, for unofficial CMA schools. I've been to quite a few schools (more than 8, at least). Even some of the unofficial schools are alright in my opinion.

I visited Shawn Liu's new school in Norcross a month ago and took a free class. Liu, who some (esp. LKFMDC) have an intense disliking for because he's not an official monk (IDK, myself, but I suspect he's not), yet introduces himself as a disciple of Su Xi--he was a quiet, humble, and respectful dude in my interactions with him. I actually enjoyed talking with him about his training, Pat Barry, and Cung Le's training, even though I know the controversies surrounding his rep. One of the students was a little presumptuous, but was impressed by my flexibility, speed, etc.---since, I suspect, it was better than his, based on what I saw. LOL....They were working hard at it over there. I can't find fault with that.

They taught me some chopped up version of the Tan Tui, at least that's what I suspect it was based on my Longfist training. Not useless. It would have made a good foundation for anyone. But I'm sure the "official CMA" guys would have ripped on the school mercilessly for its "made-up" forms. I've been to official CMA schools and not even bothered to stick around for a class, based on the "holier than thou" attitudes of teachers and students, who see 1 way of martial arts, and who ripped on my training in MMA and BJJ as well as sport oriented. Hell, even in BJJ, they ripped on my kung fu a little as fantasy based, and most of their presumptions were entirely inaccurate, as they assumed they knew what my fight theory was, as if CMA were one unified theory.

The tension between MA's is ridiculous. I had no training in BJJ, but my Shaolin groundwork gave me an advantage in leg strength, maneuverability, and cardio on the ground vs. other BJJ beginners, as well as an ability to get back on my feet. You wouldn't believe how much of the footwork for BJJ takedowns and ground maneuvers is verbatim what I was doing in Capoeira. I suspect why people tend to suck at core SD forms is that you hit the ground in 50% of them, and that's not fun to practice in a non-padded floor. I had all the tools for the wrestling--a strong bridge, good flexibility, the cardio of a monster, an ability to walk-scramble in a squatting stance, power, control, relaxation under pressure. I just had to learn a new way to apply it. I was able to pick up the basic takedowns the first second I tried. My kickboxing skills were a good starting point for teh little MMA/Thai I did. But I wasn't really into those other schools, since they were an activity you actually had to go to the school in order to do, and I spend most of my time away from the schools due to my work/grad school schedule.

Shaolin-Do, TMA, are good for the non-school operating, schedule-heavy individual. That's me. I 'm not a pit fighter. I carry my gym around in my head, and any open floor space is a training hall. As fight-ready as MMA or BJJ or any live-resistance gym? Of course not....but a handy alternative for fight principles, if you practice daily. Besides--they're a person art, and they teach discipline, and if you do practice daily, you will always be in excellent condition.

Some of the most critical persons on this forum are MA teachers, and many of them are not in great shape, which means they clearly don't practice as much as their students--who are in better shape because of their training.
    [begin emcee]

Thank you constant from Georgia. Next in our evening gown division...

[end emcee]
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hi Baqualin KC
    Hey KC...been away for a bit and can't believe what's going on in the other threads....crazy......Wook kinda walked into a mouse trap......if I'm not mistaken weren't you taking up for Cujo a couple of weeks ago.....maybe if he runs into the right SD guy his a$$ will be handed to him and he will poof out of here.
    Ross is an a$$ and loves to stir up ****......those threads read like a bunch of elementry students ****ed off because their circle jerk went bad.....doesn't look good for anybody.....the vid's posted of CTS ( who I respect ) were not anything out of the ordinary....GMS is a lot more impressive to me. Anyway don't let yourself get drug into a pi$$ing contest with the idiots. See ya soon,
    BQ

Hey BQ no prob they are all gone. I guess gene did it KC

Talking

[QUOTE=Baqualin;950721] ....maybe if he runs into the right SD guy his a$$ will be handed to him and he will poof out of here.
    nah

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Oh, the critics are not all silent. LKFMDC, Goju, et al. are in a current war of words with KC and Wook had the misfortune of making a lucid comment, which set him up for negative feedback on his vids. I don't think there will ever be a shortage of folks who have to tear others down in order to lift themselves in their own esteem. Sad...
    i didnt bad mouth wook because i cant see most vids on my puter
    and this thread largely died after my sparring match with facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I thought the comments in the manits forum were very constructive. Not negative in the least.

As for goju and Ross, Ross just likes pushing buttons. A lot of his arguments are strawman or ad hominem but he does them just to try to get a rise out of people. I've seen those threads and goju reminds me of the little guy with the high school bully laughing and agreeing with the bully at every turn. That's sad, because Ross would turn on him in a heartbeat if they ever started discussing martial arts.
    and im not defnding ross i honestly have no idea who the hell he is just noticed kc with his bogus challenges to spar and i jumped in

Goju out of respect for Gene and the forum I am not responding. If youi are ever in Tennessee I will be glad to give you a place to crash. KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Goju out of respect for Gene and the forum I am not responding. If youi are ever in Tennessee I will be glad to give you a place to crash. KC
    why does it say your in la if your in tennesee? lol

No sweat Goju

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i didnt bad mouth wook because i cant see most vids on my puter
    and this thread largely died after my sparring match with facepalm
    Hey Goju. No sweat. In the piece you quoted, I didn't say that you were critical of Wook. I said that you were a participant in a war of words with KC, which I think is a fair statement. I then said that Wook made a comment and that his vids were subsequently criticized. I didn't specify by whom. So, to sum up, I'm definitely not accusing you of criticizing Wook's vids. Now back to your scheduled flame war. Peace.

Split

I have been thinking, There are basically 3 different schools of SD. There is the west schools , Calif etc, then there is Kentucky, Texas, Indiana, Iowa and that area which also has schools in DC, Louisiana and Florida. Then there is Tennessee, NC, W Virginia and Georgia. The last one is under 2 seperate Elder Masters, Master Grooms and Master Mullins. The ones in the Georgia Tenn area wear one type of uniform, The West wears another and The last one wears the Old style Gi that GM The wears. Uniforms to me is just another wardrobe option no big deal.
    Here is the problem, because of the "personal" differences of these schools and primarily the Masters of the schools, If I were to visic California or move there I would not be allowed to open a school due to haveing ties with say the Georgia schools. And if I were allowed to, I would have to give a % of my gross to the Master from that area and possibly the Master that I am associated with. Also the Master from where I am teaching at wants to have control of my school curriculum and progress.
    Here is my point
    I live in a state that is under one master I train and have trained with another master, Yet I am not "allowed" to train with any students or schools of the master whose area I have moved to. How screwed up is that? This is because These 2 area Masters do not like each other, It seems to me that is between them and all this is doing is hurting the system as a whole. It is these Masters that are causing long time students to leave due to the rift that has been established. I am not making light of the rift or its cause but enoug is enough, This has become a political mess and just gives outsiders a skewed pic of SD as being disorganized and a sham, Many who I have spoken with in and out of any of the organizations are tired of the BS. I for one am too. So I propose we come togethor and resolve this problem so if I go to Idaho I can train there or I go to Tennessee I can train there , It should be abou the Art, The student and the Masters last as w/o students the Masters wouldnt have anyone to "boss" or teach. KC
    Last edited by kwaichang; 07-31-2009 at 04:43 AM.

Death to the politics, I want the right to train with a Shaolin Tao , or Shaolin Do or Shaolin tennessee, Georgia etc school , without any reprocussion from any of the Masters of any area. I should be able to Pay the tuition and train but maintain ties with my original school. I feel a grass root program can pull SD togethor and stop all this back biting and personal conflict being pressured on the "regular" student etc. OPINIONS, METHODS ???? KC