View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 834 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3347347848248328338348358368448849341334 ... LastLast
Results 12,496 to 12,510 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Stunning or breaking the clavicle then grabbing the tiger will immobilize with the mouth and or the front claws and rake with the back. i was thinking in the Hsing Ie sense the collarbone or clavicle break and rip KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

"Clawing" in the Hsing Ie context is pulling down while sinking your weight. At least that was my understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

After opening move of Ching Kang Fu Hu Chien what is your interpretation of the moves after the arms are spread to both sides with Claws????? KC

from the souther tiger i learned there are several instances where there is a double chest 'claw' then a double downward backfist often followed by a forward strike/doublestrike/takedown/uppercut.

for us, similar to what judge pen said, is drawing them down, as they resist to force themselves back up the double back fist is meant to crush the collar bones, having the opponent assist in creating more force as they rise into the blows. at that point a solar plexus strike or take down generally follows. at least that was the idea. i guess it depends on if your backfist is stonger than their collar bones
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Lucas that is the yellow belt tiger you are thinking of i am not talking about that one KC

1968 and 69 Nationals

.................................................. ......
    Last edited by Old Man; 03-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Lucas that is the yellow belt tiger you are thinking of i am not talking about that one KC
    sorry, im not actually a sd practitioner. just some of the nan quan i picked up. And piping in where i dont belong
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Old Man,

I still have one of the programs from one of the early tourneys. Thought they were called Mid-East Regionals, or something like that. Remember Wallace being there, as well as Steve Sanders and some others. I'll look around for it. It is buried with my old SD stuff.

LOL...name one tournament where Superfoot Wallace isn't in attendance...LOL

I shook hands with him here in Atlanta at a tournament. He kind of smiled, and then winked. I didn't like his wink. Hell, I don't like any winks of any kind, not even when a cute chick winks at me. Ok, maybe a cute chick. But Bill Superfoot Wallace is not a cute chick. So I started to squeeze his hand, like REAL HARD. He tried to pull a chin-na on me. But I didn't let go. I just looked him in the eye and squeezed harder, and then I winked at him. He was like: "Dude, teach me." I told him to get a life with his crybaby butt and go buy some diapers and eat some fruit rollups, and then maybe I'd consider it.

I never heard back from him. But I heard from someone who knows Bill Superfoot Wallace that he's been training, HARD. I asked this person: "What for?"

He said he didn't know, but the last time he saw a training montage like Wallace's, it was in that movie Kickboxer. So I've been sleeping with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    After opening move of Ching Kang Fu Hu Chien what is your interpretation of the moves after the arms are spread to both sides with Claws????? KC
    are you asking about the hsingi tiger? i do not know the terms you used.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Mid-East

Last edited by Old Man; 03-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.

No I am talking about the 1st BB Tiger form KC

I know people say there's a use for every move in a form, but when people look for uses in things like bowing motions, and then show me some application for it, 9 times out of 10 I think---why in the hell would I ever do that?

But there's always something I will do in a form, every time, before I spar, or before I test, and that is.....well, bow.

Bowing is bowing. LOL....sure, you could come up with an application, but then, are you bowing? I bet most bowing applications would never work, but I'm pretty **** sure that if I do a 4-5 move bowing sequence correctly, it will always be a killer bowing sequence.

I don't think forms need that kind of dissection. Bows are martial by their "flavor", but if most bowing applications have hidden "rip off the head, and then just walk away like nothing ever happened" type applications, I think I should seriously consider my need to find a new martial art.

Seriously, what do we end up doing when we spar:

1. Punch
    2. Kick
    3. Throw
    4. Sweep
    5. Rip off the nuts
    6. Break the neck
    7. Tiger claw the clavicle and snap it like a wishbone

Not that I'm being presumptuous, but against anyone who's a decent fighter, anything but 1-4 is likely to get you KTFO'd. Sure, you could tiger claw some bum's clavicle if he jumped you, but wouldn't you get more satisfaction from landing a few leg kicks, getting him to limp and wince, before you knee him in the face.....and then tiger claw his clavicle?

If you spar light-medium contact, you carry yourself differently than if you know you're going in for full contact fighting. In hte latter, you stay tight, stand higher, and you're more reactive--it's not because you're nervous, but because that is actually the smarter thing to do. It improves your evasiveness. You don't do things lazily. You also don't really learn anything, you just fight. Unless you wear major protective equipment like most MMA/Muay Thai gyms do, you cant do full contact properly.

Don't know where I was going with this, but....whatever....

It's probably good to keep hte clavicle tiger claw in mind, and maybe practice it, but that's an application that doesn't really require that much subtlety. In a street fight, you've still got to be able to dodge and block w/o getting KO'd right off the bat, just so you can get in range to land that deadly clavicle grab--which, I'll admit, hurts like a mother-****er's mother, who is, by definition, getting ****ed. But it's a technique that doesn't take much skill---just good timing and a cool head. So what's the point drilling it to death in a form? None.

Better to get good at entry moves, closing gaps, and slipping punches.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 09-05-2009 at 09:51 AM.

TV Question

Last edited by Old Man; 03-09-2010 at 11:11 AM.