View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 843 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 343743793833841842843844845853893943 ... LastLast
Results 12,631 to 12,645 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Goju, this is complete and utter nonsense. If you do not know what you do not know, you may never even realize it is missing. Goju Ryu is a brilliant example of what I'm talking about - it completely misses the point of it's source material. Of course the guy who is trying to cover up for the fact that what he is teaching is not the actual method (no Okinawan or Japanese would EVER get 'in the door' back in those days) - so he says he 'fixed' it. And then adds a fanciful story being told he 'kept it pure,' So which is it? Fixed for his audience or the pure style?!? I guess it doesn't matter, it is what it is. And what it is, is not CMA. It is now something else.

Dude, seriously, don't just repeat propaganda, a lot of this is easily explored in this modern word of digital openness. Maybe you should look at yourself before you cast stones, my young man.
    i answered this with my post below actually nothing but an old wives tale from predujice chinese nothing more

goju is more than just another version of white crane however largely the chinese influence has been preserved and not misunderstood or watered down my proof is in the katas which are not any different from the chinese ones in china even after hundres of years

the chinese themselves have discarded parts of styles to make new ones they felt were more efficient like wing chun for example but of course using your logic they must have misunderstood wrong too right lol!!!

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

2. Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    It's not a "matter of preference" at CSC. If you don't remove your shoes you are not allowed on the floor....bar none.....with the exception of The'.
    not true at all

GoJu

Eclectic : amixture of or composit of something. In this case a Martial art or arts.

The core of Higashionna's teaching was quite possibly an eclectic rather than a traditional art. This may have been based on Lohan boxing and Tamo iron body training integrated with a composite of Ryu Ryuko's and Wan Shin Zan's Crane boxing.

Whatever the true origin's are, should they ever be discovered, Higashionna passed on a synthesis of martial knowledge that is relevant whatever its source. We can therefore look back in appreciation at the rich heritage the early Okinawan karate teachers handed down irrespective of Ryu. Equally we should look forwards and understand that all karate below the surface is the same, as the differences are but expressions of a common knowledge.

References:
    Fighting Art International: No.87 and No.90 The Black Ship of Karate-Do 'Patrick McCarthy' by Colin Whitehead and Graham Noble.
    Okinawan Karate, 'Teachers, styles and secret techniques' by Mark Bishop, printed 1989 A&C Black, ISBN 0 7136 5666 2.
    This in itself defines Kanryo's MA as a composite KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

i am aware of the meaning of eclectic and i am also aware higashionnas teachinga were from what he studied from more than one chinese master

however it doesnt stray from, the fact goju ryu kept its chinese influence traditional every kung fu style is a mixture of a variety of different styles so seperating a art in the eclectic side because it is a mixture of different thing is not sensible

Goju, you are really funny. You keep on believing that silliness. I can see now why you like the Kool-Aid, you obviously drank a lot.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

No really Goju, that was really funny stuff. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
    www.kungnation.com

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    The only difference between you and Soard is impulse control.
    that's a pretty big difference! oh, there are other differences - he practices a BS CMA, I don't;

Now I dont want to get into a big long debate with you as you seem to like that.
    apparently you do want to get into a debate, since you keep responding;

But your students were later Therapists and your teaching had a direct influence on the student. As a therapist much like a MA teacher and his student , if the teacher is responsiple for the student when the become a Master, so are you for your student as a Therapist. So according to your logic you should turn in your license if any of your past students EVER "mess"up. That is a stupid idea dont you think?
    again, you are incorrect in your analogy, because the profession of PT is NOT based on the same philosophical precepts as the student / teacher relationship in TCMA; the main difference is that the PT profession in licensed, and as such the accountability is on each individual practitioner; so even though my teaching may have influenced a student, they still have to operate within the statutory scope of practice of a given state - for example, I may have taught a student how to dry needle, but if they go and practice that in a state where it's not legal for them to do so, I am not responsible for their decision to do that; meaning that it's highly context dependent, by necessity; OTOH, w/TCMA sifu / student, the convention a priori is that the sifu is held responsible for the student's actions - this is a Chinese cultural convention, there is no legal aspect to it; whereas in the case of PT, it is a regulatory issue in terms of accountability; why can't you understand this difference? I think you just see things in overly simplistic terms...typical PT...

Here is your quote following. It seems to me to have those thoughts and feelings , is onestep, away from acting on it.
    again, you are trying to somehow spin this so that the fact that I am even thinking in this way implies some sort of misconduct; whatever, that's on you - personally, I am confident that I have never taken advantage of my relationship with a patient, even when the patient has made overtures, not matter what I might have noted about my own reaction to them; and yes, in a way, it is just "one step" away; and it is a step that I never have and never will take; so what's your point? are you suggesting that somehow I am at risk for doing something inappropriate because I acknowledge what I acknowledge? I would suggest that anyone who doesn't is more at risk; in fact, I know at least 2 other PT's who did end up getting involved with patients, who seemed surprised that things went that way; I'd rather have the full awareness so that I can avoid taking that "one step";

You seem to be trying to turn this thing into a personal one, and trace it back to SD and GMT for some reason . The only thing I can assume is that you were beaten by some SD guy or girl way back when and you wont let it go.
    actually, I never met an SD person in my life; but I still know sh1t when I see it, based on what is readily available about SD online;

I have nothing against you and per our PM's I respect you as a therapist I just dont understand your agitated personality. I feel to be a good Therapist you must be filled with compassion and empathy not anger, as that anger will flow into your treatment.
    there is no anger, but I am resolute in what I say / write; why is having a concerted opinion tantamount to being agitated or angry? as far as being a "good" therapist because you have empathy, I disagree - you can be emotionally completely disconnected and still deliver outstanding treatment and get excellent results; I say this from personal experience, not out of theory;

I await yourt disection of this post with anticipation. KC
    if that is so, then you need to get out more...
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 09-28-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    No really Goju, that was really funny stuff. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
    funny how you couldnt debate against it in an intelligent manner i wonder why that is?
    i told you why you were wrong and went into detail explaining why. you have done nothing in the same manner beside produce a claim that you have no evidence to back up

its not wise to speak on a subject when your understanding of it is minimal

Goju, you need to say something intelligent before I can debate you in an intelligent manner. I genuinely thought you were being funny because no one with any knowledge of White Crane would confuse it with Goju Ryu. Heck, just the raw ignorance of the method demonstrated by how the Karate guys use Sam Chiem is evidence enough that Hiagonna only learned the outer shell.

Let's go point by point:

"if i may use kanryo higashionna for example again he ended up saving his chinese sifu ru ru ko's daughters life from drowning in the water and when asked by ru ru ko what he could do to pay kanryo back and thank him for saving his duaghters life kanryo asked him to teach him kung fu"

REPLY: An unsubstantiated story - probably made up or greatly embellished. No third party verification, and Goju Ryu does not reflect BASIC CMA knowledge of the systems it claims as it's ancestor. So obviously SOMEBODY didn't share with the poor guy.

"you really think he would have gave him a waterd down form of kung fu after he saved one of his family members life?"

REPLY: IF that ever really happened, yes. You don't give your enemy military secrets even if they help you. Unless your name is Bill Clinton.

"or another example would be of course the famous iron body skills many okinawans stylist posess from doing sanchin"

REPLY: A perfect example of what I was saying - the Karate 'SanChin' is a stunning misunderstanding of the basic Sam Chiem set shared by many Fukien systems such as Ngo Cho and White Crane. And the 'iron body' skills exhibited by the Goju group are not authentic CMA Iron Body skills. It is a gross misunderstanding of the Um Yung principle in relation to hard ging generation commonly found in CMA in that area. Another BASIC skill of the 'ancestor' of Goju Ryu that Goju Ryu does not possess.

"for claims that karate is watered down kung fu or the okinawans learned from watching how did they learn this"

Reply: Well, judging by the fact that it is a childish guess at what was being performed in China, I'd say Hiagonna (He A Gonna?) made it up. Which why I thought you were joking. This is funny stuff you appear to believe.

"you cant learn chi gung just by watching you have to have intensive one on one instruction with your instructor where things are taught in detail to be able to master this technique"

REPLY: YOU ARE CORRECT! Which is why Goju Ryu can not demonstrate the actual skills. Which is evidence enough to any thinking person that the claims of the Goju clan are rather exaggerated.

"for these reasons i laugh at people who claim the okinwans learned waterd down fu its nothing more than an old wives tale"

REPLY: Well good luck with that.

Sorry Goju, I won't entertain you past this point. You don't know what you are talking about. You don't even know what you don't know you are talking about. Good luck buddy, I hope you can grow past your delusions.
    www.kungnation.com

thats your evidence? it may have beens a story? lol why would he make it up!?
    but it gets better according to you goju ryu doesnt reflect any chinese teachings lmao!!!!

enemy? the okinawans were never enemies with the chinese in fact many okinawans went to china to escape the japanese occupying their country and to dodge the draft they were forcing on the natives

lol good lord you keep digging yourself in a deeper hole !!! the okinawan sanchin is a gross misinterpretation yet some how the okinawans who didnt get sam chien still managed to achieve iron body skills from a back wards understanding of the routine?
    anyone can you tube the uechi ryu training on "human weapon" and watch the effectivenss of sanchin

he made it up? l the only thing that is childish is your argument
    so essentially he pulled it out of his arse but miraculously he made it effective to be able to with stand blows?

but there is no evidence of sanchin testing where full force strikes are taken and various things are broken over the practioners bodys to demonstrate its effectiveness ?

wow.... just wow
    Last edited by goju; 09-28-2009 at 08:43 PM.

.. i am just shocked with the incredible ignorance this is just....**** bro lol

my flashplayers wonky but this may be the uechi ryu section of human weapon where they demonstrate their iron body that according to you is made up and doesnt workl ol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im9NzBciths
    let me know if this is it

so i looked at your profile and noticed your a kuntao silat guy from the de thouars are you not?
    isnt kuntao a blend of chinese arts and indonesian? and arent the de thouars part dutch and indonesian or something of the sort?

so using your logic the kung fu in silat has to be watered down back wards nonsense that the chinese half taught to the indonesians and the de thoaurs ?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i am aware of the meaning of eclectic and i am also aware higashionnas teachinga were from what he studied from more than one chinese master

however it doesnt stray from, the fact goju ryu kept its chinese influence traditional every kung fu style is a mixture of a variety of different styles so seperating a art in the eclectic side because it is a mixture of different thing is not sensible
    If your above ststement is true then why are you so down on SD , sounds much like GoJu Ryu to me KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

I'm not going to get in the middle of an argument about Okinawan karate's origins and whether it is "misunderstood" CMA. Not my area at all, but.....

Regarding the iron body demonstration you posted, I have had similar boards broken over my body while practicing San Njie. I've seen Master Garry Mullins break the neck of three baseball bats taped together at a demonstration with his shin. I've not seen anyone in our style break the neck of a bat with their radius but I would bet there are those that can do it.

Now by anaology I know you think SD is made up, bs and misunderstood; however, there are those who have developed similar iron body skills as the demo you put out there for an example. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Goju Ryu

I heard that Goju Ryu came from the Hung. If you look at their movements you'll see similarities however I will admit, they don't use the techniques the way we do. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but definitely different.