View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 853 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 353753803843851852853854855863903953 ... LastLast
Results 12,781 to 12,795 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I did the 24 combined form until I was blue in the face. Probably David or Sharon or both mentioned the origins but to honest I didn't really give a S........still don't!

My favorite BS was about the 49 postures!

"Some instructors have up to 30 of them but we have all 49!!!!!"

The Soards made it sounds like a valuable collection of something! Like the art of putting your leg behind your head has been lost!
    did they do the yang forms too fast and used really loud forceful inhaling and exhaling like they did when i was there?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    My favorite BS was about the 49 postures!

"Some instructors have up to 30 of them but we have all 49!!!!!"
    i know! that struck me as funny too. all the crap aout how they "preserved" all 49.

i have found several different systems of i chin ching/yijinjing and some have been only 12 postures and one of the systems i have seen had over 100 i chin ching postures.

it is i think a very old practice but it is not i think a specific system.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    i keep hearing people talk about

>>When you are in a school that only makes contact with it's own, you start believing that its history, techniques, and whatever are absolute and that everything else doesn't apply. I felt so stupid afterwards... <<

my teacher said "you must train and touch hands with as many people as you can to really understand ma. from day 1 of my training at the csc atlanta i trained with people outside of the system with the blessing of my teacher. i never hid it and many times talked to him about what i had seen or felt.

in maybe 1998 0r 99 a student who was very sr to me said that the 24 tai chi form was a old old form and is "exactly what the shaolin monks practiced" i asked my teacher about it and he said it was the most popular tai chi form in the world and sin the learned it from a friend in bandung and thought it had some value so taught it to him students. i do not know how the atl csc student came to the ideas he had when as far as i could tell my teacher was not telling any of the legends.

i think i did have a very different experience than most sd students.
    For some reason I feel compelled to give a different perspective.

I started martial arts at 14, mid 70's, in tae kwon do, learned from a Vietnam combat vet, who was also a SD blackbelt. Progressed to brown belt, started SD. Participated or visited at least 5 different SD schools/teachers overall. During the same time, participated in judo, ninjitsu, and tien shien pai. I do not think I have a jaded perspective. Saw a wide variety of teaching and instruction methods. Was surprised at how much similarity there was from SD to the tien shien pai school, especially in internal forms both taught. And the variety was very wide. Some pitiful, all the way to amazing. Everywhere. There are those in SD, especially in what I would call the first or second generation of GMT's students, that can hold their own with anyone and who's skills equal or surpass anyone I've ever seen in martial arts, in person, TV, or internet. Others are embarrassing. What it comes down to is there can be no doubt GMT knows more about martial arts than most people, and he teaches some of it to others. Where it comes from only he really knows. But I have benefitted from it, and more so because I have studied independently and from other sources. One very popular author professes the method of not spoon feeding a student, but give them tools, and MAKE them figure it out, as the only way to truly learn anything.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Blog Entries

tai chi

I learned yang 64 from GM sin back in 1985 at the sportscenter. And I can tell you he never mentioned anything about it being temple style. The history he told us was mostly about Yang lu chan. Back then it was just called yang taichi not even yang 64. And this was the only empty hand taichi form we had. There wasn't a 24, or chen. He never even mentioned he knew a chen style.

And I would agree with one student. The first generations of SD had some very talented people. And part of the reasons for that, I think, was because of a more focused curriculum. There just wasn't an abundance of forms. You focused on a few external sets, then tai chi and pakua, meditation. Not to mention lots of sparring and physical conditioning. But we americans always want more, and are willing to pay for it. GM sin saw an opportunity and ran with it. Sad.

The real question is... for all these forms... have the people teaching it mastered all the relevant jibengong, qigong, equipment and two partner skills for eaxch of these systems so that they can say they truly undertand them and can 'preserve' them?

This should be an obvious question to answer and perhaps the biggest challenge SD has in making its case. (Besides the fanciful history.)

However, things aren't as cut and dried and many 'traditional' systems - especially JMA and KMA have just as messed up stuff gong on. Oh, and some CMA too. Doesn't mean I agree with the SD line, but just taking a broader view.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Good Morning Everyone......

How are we all doing today???

Blog Entries

Sin the letter on the other ma forum

Just read the letter from sin the' to some instructors kicking them out. it's on that other bovine ma forum. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Just read the letter from sin the' to some instructors kicking them out. it's on that other bovine ma forum. Disgusting.
    where is this???Bull-shido??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    The real question is... for all these forms... have the people teaching it mastered all the relevant jibengong, qigong, equipment and two partner skills for eaxch of these systems so that they can say they truly undertand them and can 'preserve' them?

This should be an obvious question to answer and perhaps the biggest challenge SD has in making its case. (Besides the fanciful history.)

However, things aren't as cut and dried and many 'traditional' systems - especially JMA and KMA have just as messed up stuff gong on. Oh, and some CMA too. Doesn't mean I agree with the SD line, but just taking a broader view.
    There are a handful. And almost all are from way back. Most of the master level teachers that I have seen today do not have any knowledge of the principles that make these arts what they are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    where is this???Bull-shido??
    yes. the name of the thread is "my experience with shaolin do"

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    yes. the name of the thread is "my experience with shaolin do"
    I got it ... I have to say I am not surprised . This letter was sent out prior to the other independant schools forming an alliance. I am interested to see how this all unfolds...... from what I understand 2 of the instructors have quit all together.

OK I have searched all over for this supposed letter but Bullshido has to be the worst forum to find stuff on. Anyway please post a link Thanks KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    OK I have searched all over for this supposed letter but Bullshido has to be the worst forum to find stuff on. Anyway please post a link Thanks KC
    Jacob and Laura

This letter is to inform you, that as of August 26th, 2009 your privileges to teach the Shao-Lin Art (the Art), and any further participation within the Art in any capacity is hereby revoked.

As the current Grandmaster of Shao-Lin, I withdraw your permission to teach the Art, the forms and movements within the Art copyrighted by me.

I also withdraw your use of any likeness of me, any reference to me on your website, flyers, brochures, publications, etc.

If you continue to use the art, forms, techniques, material or trade secrets, graphics or images relating to the Shao-Lin Art, I will pursue legal action to ensure that you cease and desist.

I hope this letter is perfectly clear that you are to discontinue all use of the Art of Shao-Lin and my name and images. Also cease all contact with me and any of my certified, affiliated schools and instructors.

This will be the last form of contact you will receive from me personally.

Sincerely,
    [signature]
    Grandmaster Sin Kwang The'

Things might not always be what they appear to be. Get all the information that you can before making any decisions.

To be honest I would really like to hear the Soards and The's side of this story. However they are chosing not to talk.