View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 857 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 357757807847855856857858859867907957 ... LastLast
Results 12,841 to 12,855 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I do know there is something called public domain. In the music business once you release a song it's in the public domain. Anyone that wants to can cover that song. However when you do this you have to give the original artist credit and pay royalties.
    A couple of minor corrections: Public domain covers material that nobody can lay claim to, usually because it's so old. Like the nursery rhyme "A tisket, a tasket, a red and yellow basket...." I could use that as the theme song to a TV show without having to pay royalties to anyone. But then that particular recording/version/arrangement of the song is copyrighted. Which means that particular recording cannot be played in a commercial setting, like a club, for example, for free; the club has to pay royalties (usually with a blanket license). But anyone else can still cover the original Tisket Tasket song with their own instruments, arrangements, etc., and record their own version.

If an artists cuts a song, it does not enter into the public domain (Yoko would have a friggin' heart attack). When Aerosmith covered the Beatles song Come Together, Aerosmith paid royalties to the owner(s) of the song AND had to get permission to release it as a cover. When the Republican party tried to use John Mellencamp's Pink Houses, he successfully told them to cease and desist.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinGirl View Post
    A couple of minor corrections: Public domain covers material that nobody can lay claim to, usually because it's so old. Like the nursery rhyme "A tisket, a tasket, a red and yellow basket...." I could use that as the theme song to a TV show without having to pay royalties to anyone. But then that particular recording/version/arrangement of the song is copyrighted. Which means that particular recording cannot be played in a commercial setting, like a club, for example, for free; the club has to pay royalties (usually with a blanket license). But anyone else can still cover the original Tisket Tasket song with their own instruments, arrangements, etc., and record their own version.

If an artists cuts a song, it does not enter into the public domain (Yoko would have a friggin' heart attack). When Aerosmith covered the Beatles song Come Together, Aerosmith paid royalties to the owner(s) of the song AND had to get permission to release it as a cover. When the Republican party tried to use John Mellencamp's Pink Houses, he successfully told them to cease and desist.
    As I understand it, most of what is taught in SD falls into the first category , correct??

Songs , as I understand it , become public domain some 70 years after the artists death......is this correct??

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    EML was on two local (Lexington) TV stations a few months ago, regarding World Tai Chi Day activities, and stated that tai chi was invented by a monk who left the temple over Buddhist vs Taoist differences. I could be wrong, but I got the impression he was stating that it was after leaving the temple. Not that the comment is authoritative, just thought it was relevant and interesting. The video is posted on the SinThe school site.
    i saw those videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shaolinlex#play/all
    this is some of the worst chen tai chi chuan i have ever seen. sorry if i offend but that is my honest opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shaolinl.../1/GMWsOaCfRUo
    here he shows some yang 64 and tells legends about its history as fact totally leaving out that cheng man ching developed the variation of tai chi chuan he is attempting to do and that this all happened in the early 1900's.

to the shaolin do students what is your opinion of the tai chi chuan he shows?
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I have spoken with GMT privately regarding the history of Tai Chi and the Shaolin Temple and the post earlier coincides with what he told me KC
    that history/legend is fine and dandy but it does not address where sin the's tai chi chuan came from in any way. there is enough evidence available to point to the actual origins of the tai chi chuan hat is practiced in shaolin do.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinGirl View Post
    Incorrect. If you release a song anyone can record it whether you, as the artist, like it or not.

Talk to Weird Al about that one.

Of course, the GOP could not use Mellencamp's version of "Pink Houses". That's not what we're talking about here. However if they got Joe Smoe to record it Mellencamp could disapprove but he couldn't stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao Of The Fist View Post
    That's all fine and dandy, but that doesn't explain the misnomer of calling the CMC 37 or the 24 'combined' (which is actually the beijing 24 yang set) 'temple forms'. Like I've said in a previous post, their not the only group to do so, but I'm just curious how that came about...

Correction: the other groups only call the CMC 37 a 'temple form'.
    the explanation of the 24 form is that sin the learned it from a friend i think in the early 90's and since it is a popular form he thought it would be of value to teach to his students.

"temple form" is bs in my opinion
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    the explanation of the 24 form is that sin the learned it from a friend i think in the early 90's and since it is a popular form he thought it would be of value to teach to his students.

"temple form" is bs in my opinion
    This is my understanding as well. I think the first time it was referenced as "temple form" was throught the CSC, but my teacher always acknowledged that GM The' learned this in the 90s becuase if was the most popular form of Tai Chi and then taught it to his students.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    It is my understanding that the Yang Tai Chi was included in the Shaolin Monastery and its curriculum at some point. This then makes it Shaolin. Maybe not derived there but worked on there. As stated there is a connection and that is all that was claimed as I understood it and heard. KC
    which yang tai chi? there are many "legit" lines of yang tai chi out there with very different forms and training methods. one of them is the cmc method. it did not exist when the fukien shaolin temple was said to have existed and i am convinced by all available evidence that the "yang 64" form is a variation of the cmc style of yang tai chi chuan.

the way sin the' et all present the yang tai chi that they teach is that it was yang luchans exact form. this is highly unlikely. evidence just does not point in that direction.
    you were lied to if that is what you were told.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

The Soards...

helped with the misinformation and the fabrication of stories about all sorts of things pertaining to the art. It is all about the marketing

that history/legend is fine and dandy but it does not address where sin the's tai chi chuan came from in any way. there is enough evidence available to point to the actual origins of the tai chi chuan hat is practiced in shaolin do.
    Yes there is....as with all the Internal stuff...minus the Metero Fist

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Talk to Weird Al about that one.

Of course, the GOP could not use Mellencamp's version of "Pink Houses". That's not what we're talking about here. However if they got Joe Smoe to record it Mellencamp could disapprove but he couldn't stop it.
    you are mistaken. i am in the music biz ... the above is not the case. using pink house as the example. if you play there notes and use there lyrics and arrangements it would be against the law.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

which yang tai chi? there are many "legit" lines of yang tai chi out there with very different forms and training methods. one of them is the cmc method. it did not exist when the fukien shaolin temple was said to have existed and i am convinced by all available evidence that the "yang 64" form is a variation of the cmc style of yang tai chi chuan.

the way sin the' et all present the yang tai chi that they teach is that it was yang luchans exact form. this is highly unlikely. evidence just does not point in that direction.
    you were lied to if that is what you were told.
    Does passing on a lie ,that you were not aware of was a lie, make you a liar??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Yes there is....as with all the Internal stuff...minus the Metero Fist
    what is the evidence you speak of?
    i may not understand your relpy/comment to my comments. please clarify?
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Does passing on a lie ,that you were not aware of was a lie, make you a liar??
    if it has been brought to your attention or is very openly common public knowledge and the truth is readily available to you yet you still stick to the lie. yes i think it does make "you" a liar.

if you are talking about sin the he has the means and ability to know at least some of what he says is not true. he is a very smart man ... give him some credit.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

helped with the misinformation and the fabrication of stories about all sorts of things pertaining to the art. It is all about the marketing
    yes this is true. when i first started with grooms he was maybe 10 years into teaching in atlanta. at that time there was still info/history from the soards being told in his school, most of the students at that time who had been around for 5-9 years had been told many of the bs legends. i noticed over the years the grooms stripped away as many of the legends as he could and mostly said "i dont know" when it came to history questions.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men