View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 864 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 364764814854862863864865866874914964 ... LastLast
Results 12,946 to 12,960 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I am on one today... I had this guy watch me train yesterday and he said to me, " I like your style, what martial art style is that" I told him that it was CMA . He said "it cant be because you wearing a GI , a Japanese uniform.......
    The gi thing just kills me.
    Three styles that I have seen that wear gi's: fut gar, shaolin nam pai chuan, shaolin do. All three are from southern china, all three have been described by many as karate like. I've also seen jow ga people wearing gi's, as well as hong yi mien's internal school in taiwan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Man, for someone who doesn't care about labels, you sure are attached to the "shaolin" label.
    No...not really I am into the philosophy and spiritual developement.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-08-2009 at 09:11 PM.

My gi says "Shao-lin" on the back....so it must be so

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I think he is 53 or 54 now. He can hold that horse stance indefinatly too. Very solid foundation.
    I wouldn't care if he's 20 I'm calling BS on that one...unless your horse stance is a lot different from mine.

My horse stance is back straight, thighs horizonal.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I wouldn't care if he's 20 I'm calling BS on that one...unless your horse stance is a lot different from mine.

Perhaps hyperbole took effect there, so let me clarify.

In the first video, when he is instructing on the basics of making a fist and throwing a punch, he is in his horse stance. You can see that his stance is 5 hands wide, thighs horizontal and back straight. I've seen him address the class like that for at least 5 minutes straight with no sign of fatigue. I've seen him then lead his class through their forms with him not showing any effect of holding a horse stance for 5 mintues (if it were me my stances would be very sloppy because of leg fatigue).

Another example from my personal observation. Every year he would lead his black belt students through a vigourous conditioning class. One of the requirements is holding a thigh-parallel horse stance for three sets 2 minute incriments. The way it normally worked as 2 minute horse stance, one minute bo stance on each leg. 100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, a set of kick excercises and then repeat this sequence 3 more times. His rationale for that is too often he would see "black belts" get lazy and fat and not be able to do the basics so if you wanted to call yourself a black belt under his supervision, then you had to be able to do these basic things.

Final example, I took a seminar from him where he taught SD-s 5 animal form. It was a 5 day seminar. For those who don't know, our 5 animal form is essentially the same form of Doc Fai Wong's and it takes a little over 2 and a half minutes to do the entire form full speed. The last day of the seminar he took the last 30 minutes to walk through the form. He told us by the end of the walk-through, no one would have any more questions about the form. He then led us through a walk through where he made us all hold each transitional stance for several seconds while he talked about the fundamentals and applications for each technique and answered any questions about that technique, but you had to hold the stance with him the entire time. By the end of the form "walk-though" me legs were a quivering mess, and I had to stand up several time before going back to the stance, but I never saw a sign of fatigue from Master Garry.

He really stresses conditioning and fundamentals. He trains all of his bent leg stances to be done with the butt at the knee for stength and conditioning. He often leads his class through 3 sets of one-legged squats (10 on each leg for each set) during the warm-up excercises.So when I said 'indefintely', I apologize for exagerating. I've never seen him hold the stance indefinatly. I have seen him do the things like I mentioned above, on several ocassions, with no apparent weakness or after effects. I can only speculate how long he could hold a horse stance, but I would put him up against almost any martial artist I met on conditioning especially at his age.

Is that better?
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 10-09-2009 at 01:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i witnessed the sd five animal form demonstrated by a black belt under the soards and it didnt resemble wongs at all

did the one you learn have these "BOI" "BOI" calls that were supose to mimic the cranes call?
    also the one i witnsessed had some rolling around on the floor that was suppose to be monkey i guess

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i witnessed the sd five animal form demonstrated by a black belt under the soards and it didnt resemble wongs at all

did the one you learn have these "BOI" "BOI" calls that were supose to mimic the cranes call?
    also the one i witnsessed had some rolling around on the floor that was suppose to be monkey i guess
    No and no. Monkey isn't one of the 5 animals from the 5 animal form (in wongs or SDs). There's 5 animal play--I've seen some SD people do animal sounds with that, but even then, the 5 animal play monkey doesn't roll in the floor.

Trust me, I've compared wongs form to ours and a couple of minor differences aside, its the same form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post

This is probably master hiang's 5 animals. It includes monkey and bear.
    It's much shorter and totally different than the doc fai wong form.

I've seen him then lead his class through their forms with him not showing any effect of holding a horse stance for 5 mintues (if it were me my stances would be very sloppy because of leg fatigue).
    Hung Gar is HUGE on leg training. We spend at least the first half hour of every class training stances. We start from the horse and return to that stance in between every other stance. Then, if Sifu is feeling exceptionally nasty, he'll set the timer for 5 minutes and have us hold a horse........ AFTER all the stance traning we just did hahaha

I know the shake you are talking about too... he calls it the milk shake. He has said on many occasions that he looks for that to see if you are really pushing yourself. The training really pays off though!

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Hung Gar is HUGE on leg training. We spend at least the first half hour of every class training stances. We start from the horse and return to that stance in between every other stance. Then, if Sifu is feeling exceptionally nasty, he'll set the timer for 5 minutes and have us hold a horse........ AFTER all the stance traning we just did hahaha

I know the shake you are talking about too... he calls it the milk shake. He has said on many occasions that he looks for that to see if you are really pushing yourself. The training really pays off though!
    You're with Sifu Mike Marshall there in louisville, right?
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    You're with Sifu Mike Marshall there in louisville, right?
    Yes, he's a great teacher! I thought I knew a little before I started training with him but quickly learned I didn't know anything hahaha To be honest, it was like starting over but man have I learned a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Yes, he's a great teacher! I thought I knew a little before I started training with him but quickly learned I didn't know anything hahaha To be honest, it was like starting over but man have I learned a lot!
    He comes from a strong teacher & lineage. He wouldn't be teaching with their names attached if he wasn't!! Good stuff!! Enjoy it.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Perhaps hyperbole took effect there, so let me clarify.

In the first video, when he is instructing on the basics of making a fist and throwing a punch, he is in his horse stance. You can see that his stance is 5 hands wide, thighs horizontal and back straight. I've seen him address the class like that for at least 5 minutes straight with no sign of fatigue. I've seen him then lead his class through their forms with him not showing any effect of holding a horse stance for 5 mintues (if it were me my stances would be very sloppy because of leg fatigue).

Another example from my personal observation. Every year he would lead his black belt students through a vigourous conditioning class. One of the requirements is holding a thigh-parallel horse stance for three sets 2 minute incriments. The way it normally worked as 2 minute horse stance, one minute bo stance on each leg. 100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, a set of kick excercises and then repeat this sequence 3 more times. His rationale for that is too often he would see "black belts" get lazy and fat and not be able to do the basics so if you wanted to call yourself a black belt under his supervision, then you had to be able to do these basic things.

Final example, I took a seminar from him where he taught SD-s 5 animal form. It was a 5 day seminar. For those who don't know, our 5 animal form is essentially the same form of Doc Fai Wong's and it takes a little over 2 and a half minutes to do the entire form full speed. The last day of the seminar he took the last 30 minutes to walk through the form. He told us by the end of the walk-through, no one would have any more questions about the form. He then led us through a walk through where he made us all hold each transitional stance for several seconds while he talked about the fundamentals and applications for each technique and answered any questions about that technique, but you had to hold the stance with him the entire time. By the end of the form "walk-though" me legs were a quivering mess, and I had to stand up several time before going back to the stance, but I never saw a sign of fatigue from Master Garry.

He really stresses conditioning and fundamentals. He trains all of his bent leg stances to be done with the butt at the knee for stength and conditioning. He often leads his class through 3 sets of one-legged squats (10 on each leg for each set) during the warm-up excercises.So when I said 'indefintely', I apologize for exagerating. I've never seen him hold the stance indefinatly. I have seen him do the things like I mentioned above, on several ocassions, with no apparent weakness or after effects. I can only speculate how long he could hold a horse stance, but I would put him up against almost any martial artist I met on conditioning especially at his age.

Is that better?
    in the few chances i had to train with master mullins i observed the same things ... the man is fit!
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post

I think what your seeing or not seeing in this case is caused by the angle of the shot . They should do a profile shot of him like they did with the bow stance. As you can see his back is very straight in those profile shots.

You are right, the back should be straight , the thighs should be parallel to the floor, with the feet turned in square ( on the outside of the foot not the inside)with your hips and shoulders.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-09-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling...lol