View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 865 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 365765815855863864865866867875915965 ... LastLast
Results 12,961 to 12,975 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I think what your seeing or not seing in this case is caused by the angle of the shot . They should do a profile shot of him like they did with the bow stance. As you can see his back is very staright in those profile shots.

You are right, the back should be straight , the thighs should be parallel to the floor, with the feet turned in square ( on the outside of the foot not the inside)with your hips and shoulders.

What shot? I haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    What shot? I haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.
    LMAO.....You were criticizing his horse stance , correct?? By your statement it indicates that you do not think his thighs are parallel to the floor and his back is not straight , correct??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    LMAO.....You were criticizing his horse stance , correct??

Don't know the dude...never seen his horse stance

post 12361

Did you watch the videos that ttm put up? You can see his horse stance there. I uderstand you were criticizing my comments as I exgagerated. I think I addressed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I wouldn't care if he's 20 I'm calling BS on that one...unless your horse stance is a lot different from mine.

My horse stance is back straight, thighs horizonal.
    Here's the post.

Just where exactly do I make any claims about knowing this guy or criticizing his horse stance?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Did you watch the videos that ttm put up? You can see his horse stance there. I uderstand you were criticizing my comments as I exgagerated. I think I addressed that.

Holding a horse stance indefinitely is exactly what I was talking about.

Where ever all this talk about seeing this guy in a picture and criticizing his horse stance comes from I honestly don't have a clue. I think people need to learn to read.

Here's the post.

Just where exactly do I make any claims about knowing this guy or criticizing his horse stance?
    When you indicated that there was/ might be a difference and that yours was back straight and thighs horizontal. I thought you were saying his wasnt...thats all

My mistake , I misunderstood what you were saying.

I am not attacking you brother, relax
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Holding a horse stance indefinitely is exactly what I was talking about.

Where ever all this talk about seeing this guy in a picture and criticizing his horse stance comes from I honestly don't have a clue. I think people need to learn to read.
    Like I posted above, my mistake....

Here's a hypothetical for everyone.
    If you had to pick only ten empty hand forms from SD to be a "core" curriculum, what would they be? You could consider the three cranes as one form, and the three birds could be one form as well. Maybe the black tigers could all be one form, if you want. You can have 10 weapon forms, too. Short forms, sparring techs, chin na and one step drills don't count, those are basic training.
    hsing i five roads and twelve animals probably shouldn't count as forms either, they are also fundamental training, if you're doing hsing i those have to be there.

I'm really just curious what different people feel are the most important forms in the system, or maybe just which ones you like the most. You can include seminar forms that aren't part of the testing curriculum yet, if you want.

Should external and internal be considered seperately, or would your ten forms have a mix of both?

Here's an example

Chie Chien
    Ching Kong Fu Hu Chien
    Lien Wu Chang
    Bai Hao
    Shaolin Niao (luo tien, chan ie, yen hur)
    San He Chien
    Hei Hu
    CMC Yang 37 taijiquan
    JRQ classical baguazhang
    hsing i linkage
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    Here's a hypothetical for everyone.
    If you had to pick only ten empty hand forms from SD to be a "core" curriculum, what would they be? You could consider the three cranes as one form, and the three birds could be one form as well. Maybe the black tigers could all be one form, if you want. You can have 10 weapon forms, too. Short forms, sparring techs, chin na and one step drills don't count, those are basic training.
    hsing i five roads and twelve animals probably shouldn't count as forms either, they are also fundamental training, if you're doing hsing i those have to be there.

I'm really just curious what different people feel are the most important forms in the system, or maybe just which ones you like the most. You can include seminar forms that aren't part of the testing curriculum yet, if you want.

Should external and internal be considered seperately, or would your ten forms have a mix of both?

Here's an example

Chie Chien
    Ching Kong Fu Hu Chien
    Lien Wu Chang
    Bai Hao
    Shaolin Niao (luo tien, chan ie, yen hur)
    San He Chien
    Hei Hu
    CMC Yang 37 taijiquan
    JRQ classical baguazhang
    hsing i linkage
    well, good questions ...

since i left the system a while back. here is a list of what i kept, still practice, study and find of great value that i learned at the csc atlanta.

i chin ching
    houtein chi / shein tien chi (my understanding of shein tien chi is limited though)
    yang 64 tai chi chuan
    24 tai chi chuan
    hsing i 5 roads aka 5 elements
    hsing i linking
    chen xin jia 83
    jrq pakua (although i do not practice this style more than once a week or 2 since i am learning gao bagua and do not want to confuse the 2. but i also do not want to forget jrq bagua)

5 animal live/dead (5 animal frolics) i do not practice these very often but i do use some of the movements to help if i am feeling pain in my back.

other than that i have left it behind me. some of the forms i can still do even if i have not tried them in months but i would not say i practice them.

that in my opinion is a lot of material.
    Last edited by brucereiter; 10-13-2009 at 12:55 PM.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

What will we do when this thread goes away?

Its been nearly three days, and no posts. Is it over? Has it all been said? Where do I go if I want to keep in touch with other SD'ers when this thread is done?
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Gossip just off the SD hotline: Someone was telling me today that the nine schools that broke away from the Soards are now under Master Gary Mullins.

Don't know if it's true or not. I have doubts that Mullins would get involved so easily but maybe he did.

Gossip just off the SD hotline: Someone was telling me today that the nine schools that broke away from the Soards are now under Master Gary Mullins.

Don't know if it's true or not. I have doubts that Mullins would get involved so easily but maybe he did.
    I doubt it, especially if they were "removed" from the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

But maybe . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I doubt it, especially if they were "removed" from the system.
    Isn't Gary still in good standing with GMS? Then if true, an arrangement had to have been struck between GMS, GMullins, and the 9. But with or without Soards consent? If the 9 were truly down only on Soards, but wanted to stick with SD/GMS, associating with another high level instructor instead would be just the ticket, other than the distance.

And would anyone disagree, that if those schools were used to Soards' methods, but now will be under GMullins' philosophy, from what I've heard, aren't they in for a whole new world?
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)