View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 884 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 384784834874882883884885886894934984 ... LastLast
Results 13,246 to 13,260 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    everyone makes mistakes....period. I have seen more mistakes by noteable famous masters than anyone else I have ever watched.....BFD

Sal is an elitist......
    Sorry ...and a fairly good historian

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Sal is a historian. My best friend is a historian. They tend to romanticize the past as some type of ideal. At least in my experience.

It's like when I posted some of my fight videos on you-tube. One guy e-mailed me to discuss my fight. He, a wu shu practitioner, was critical because my fight did not look like kung-fu. I was punching, kicking and throwing, but it didn't look as crisp as he would like to see. His counter-example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG366AHzI2U.
    HAHAHA Would you consider your fighting style to be like "KUNGFU" or "KUNGFU" like??

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    is a shaolin do a style or a organization? most styles dont take forms from other styles for no reason

i think you guys taking all those forms from other styles is strange

if you dont mind taking forms why dont you guys learn some forms from the real shaolin in songshan china
    Some would say it is both.

THis is how I understand it ...

It is an organization of schools that warehouse , teach, practice many CMA styles and forms.

NOT all of them are considered to be Shaolin by many.

The "Standardized" shaolin forms, other than some of the Internal forms, are not taught or practiced within the ORG/SYSTEM.

Because of the history, methods of teaching as well as the size of the ORG. come under great scrutiny.

Many of the stories about the SYSTEM origins have been the largest topic of conversation.....

Some would say it is Sin The` style!

What else do you want to know??
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-26-2009 at 01:35 PM.

is a shaolin do a style or a organization? most styles dont take forms from other styles for no reason

if you dont mind taking forms why dont you guys learn some forms from the real shaolin in songshan china
    bawang, from my research I believe that there were several teachers at Sin The's school in indonesia that taught their own material. I also believe that Ie was a forms collector himself and that he traveled extensivly picking up what he could. I think that is why there are so many bits a pieces of different systems that have been taught and blended at SD. Which makes it a patchwork quilt and not cut from whole cloth. But the quality of the sticthing is the real issue that I'm concerned with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

HAHAHA Would you consider your fighting style to be like "KUNGFU" or "KUNGFU" like??
    If it works then its kung fu. I don't care what it looks like.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

After being on the receiving end of his fists... straight forward. Even drunk.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

i would think "shaolin do" is a organization and a style. i am not really sure.
    i only studied a small portion of shaolin do's internal material.

i can only speak for myself. i have not learned any shaolin forms at all. i have no interest.i found an individual who could teach me some things i wanted to learn (tai chi chuan) and self defense.

i have not the means or the interest to go to china and go the the shaolin temple to learn martial arts.

i do think people like shi deyang are fantastic martial artists but they practice something different to what i practice. i am not interested in that material although it is very cool.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Is that a good thing?? How drunk??

Hey Sean...

I have been known to be a fan of drunken style

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Drunk and with a bad knee. The SoCo killed the pain though....

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    bawang, from my research I believe that there were several teachers at Sin The's school in indonesia that taught their own material. I also believe that Ie was a forms collector himself and that he traveled extensivly picking up what he could. I think that is why there are so many bits a pieces of different systems that have been taught and blended at SD. Which makes it a patchwork quilt and not cut from whole cloth. But the quality of the sticthing is the real issue that I'm concerned with.
    Look, it's very simple:

People know that Sin The's / SD routines came from books and videos because all public versions of routines are MARKED with purposefully implanted incorrect postures here and there or missing some postures or added in postures. To ensure that people who learned solely from books can be discovered.
    So, the SD routines show these marks. Hence, people who learned from actual teachers know that those particular routines are being done just like the marked routine in the book or video.

A lot of Sd routines are labeled as Shaolin, but they aren't at all and were never taught in any Shaolin temple or afflicated temple or school. For example, all his Hua Quan routines are from Shandong province schools, and clearly show the marks that were implanted in the books published on these routines.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Sal do you do forms EXACTLY like your teachers same angles etc. If you say yes you are lying that would imply you are perfect , if no then you arent doing it RIGHT. So you may be close . BTW i have seen tai chi at a SD school as good at the rules / vids as you referenced. I dont know who you have seen but I would love to see a vid of yours so I can see Perfect form KC
    This so completely shows ignorance that is almost laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Perfect mimicking of angles is not the point.

The point is full transmission of truthful time tested information so that one can practice efficiently and effectively with correct body mechanics and core movements and CMA principles and strategies.
    As long as the teacher's are doing things right, and they have taught their students, both will be doing things according to CMA concepts and movements.
    No "exact" angles are required, that doesn't even make sense. But I can see how you can say that if you don't understand what CMA even is.

The SOLE reason that SD routines are weird is that karate is the base for the movements taught and then it is applied to CMA routines that they got from books and videos.

It isn't good JMA karate and it isn't good CMA. It's just a mess.
    Shodokan karate developed historically in completely different ways and do things for completely different reasons from CMA. BUT, great Okinawan karate, Shorinji Kempo, and other karate styles are southern CMA anyway, I have never seen any great Okinawan or Japanese karate routines or masters do things that violated CMA principles and body mechanics at all.

AMERICAN fake karate, yes, I have seen do stupid things as far as body mechanics go.
    Often they compensate when fighting by just plain old fighting harder, using brute strength or sheer determination. They have to expend so much more energy because they don't know why or how to do things correctly. There is no art nor science to what they do.

I'm pretty sure Sin The learned some great Indonesian martial arts (IMA) and has kept this for himself and lets SD do these fake CMA routines with karate movements.
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-26-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Impossible to prove no one does a form as they were taught and people put their own mark on things. Sal do you do your forms as you were taught them verbatim, if you answer yes you are a liar as that would imply you are perfect. If no then you are no different than the worst of the SD players and you are merely practicing. Practice also means trying toward better. Btw just for the heck of it I read your 1st 3 articles on the web and you say nothing different as what I said to your 4 questions. Including the Kua etc. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Well I can only hope you are the one who said angles as I didnt. Concepts are subjective and open to interpretation. and can be applied to anything like dance as you said. BTW i hope you are a better MA than you are a Musician , I listened to that mess from the Frankenstein group, total mess/noise. But then that is subjective much like your opinions. KC
    BTW you should stick to research one of the premises of the training you cited was Conditioning and wwhat I saw in the members of your band I would say a few too many Hotdogs. with chili
    Last edited by kwaichang; 10-26-2009 at 02:26 PM.

You dare to even talk about Shoto kan, you know little about it or you wouldnt say SD has it. KC Karate is not even hinted at in SD sorry. BTW you never answered my questions what are the 5 sources of power in JKarate???? anyone KC