View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 892 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 392792842882890891892893894902942992 ... LastLast
Results 13,366 to 13,380 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    You know, it's kung fu deconstruction. Figures...a little Derrida, some Lao Tzu or Confucious thrown in the mix, and wham bam.....A standard of criticism that never asserts one fact except that all interpretation is misinterpretation.
    Derideridada
    Derideridead

I'm amazed at how much posting goes on over the weekend. Isn't anyone out there training or enjoying family time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

i am amazed by home much goes on during the week,, isn't anyone working??
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

We get it...the only important thing about martial arts is fighting, and anyone who thinks otherwise is silly or stupid.

It simply isn't appropriate to have an interest in Chinese philosophy or martial arts history. Forget about that stuff, it's a waste of time, no matter who you are. right?

It may not be interesting to everyone, but some people are "interested in collecting fragments of human experience, like a martial historian." Is that a big deal?

Why do people enjoy the things they enjoy? Who knows? You like fighting, I like meditating. Does every martial artist have to have the exact same interests?

I want to know where the forms I know came from, and if anyone else in the world practices anything similar, and what the differences are in the way they practice. That is interesting to me, regardless of whether it will be useful in combat.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I'm amazed at how much posting goes on over the weekend. Isn't anyone out there training or enjoying family time?
    what are you talking about willis?

im in the horse stance fighting off ninjas with one hand while i type this sh!t with the other

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Pretty/Ugly=Bad criteria for criticism.

Can you tell me, in all honesty, that one of those movements in the link above has ever assisted you in a fight? Have you ever blocked with an arm held out to the side, or placed your hand in front of you with the precision of that form, or thrown a kick with such postured elan?

No. I know. Tan Tui is basic because it teaches the basics, balance, and coordination. That's true. I agree. But then why does every practitioner leave it at that. It's a very rare sight to see anyone actually put some reality into their Tan Tui. ****ty Tan Tui leads to ****ty Longfist, leads to ****ty everything.

SD's Tan Tui sets--the infamous "Short Forms"--are sets of practical punches done without the "basics" of Tan Tui theory...which is.....well, rudimentary theory that really isn't that useful in the long run.

Didn't you quit Longfist for MMA? Why was that? Answer honestly.
    Tan Tui is one of the essence forms of Northern Shaolin basics. Personally i find it very useful for building skills of mobility, flexibility and spacial awareness. As with Tai Chi I have never seen any two schools do it quite the same. I have seen it performed by some the same as in that video but I learned it with a different dynamic as well as subtle variations in the hand and arm postures.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Holy cow!!!

This place cracks me up......

This weekend...

is the big meeting in Phoenix between the new independant schools and Master Grooms and Master Mullins....Anyone going or have an opinion about it???

I have an opinion, : show me the money, show me the money. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I have an opinion, : show me the money, show me the money. KC
    HMM.....???? I am sending you a PM...not a BM

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    We get it...the only important thing about martial arts is fighting, and anyone who thinks otherwise is silly or stupid.

Just playing devil's advocate. If you want to learn the origins, go to a chan temple/monastery. It's really not that different than what you'll learn in Ho Tien Chi. Just some more rituals, some chanting, and some bald-headed chicks.

Anyways, the point was: if you're going to critique SD's Shaolin based on an outside source, it's almost irrelevant, b/c they're not the same forms, and hte foundational qigong is different. They're alike, but quibbling over them is useless when you can experience the difference firsthand. Once you do, you'll either find they're way different, b/c you're astounded by the precise details of the form (which is funny), LOL, or you kind of see they're the same.

That brings up the larger question of what constitutes northern shaolin then. That's what we discussed.

Anything else is just quibbling over the aesthetics of a form.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 11-06-2009 at 07:11 PM.

This is funny:

http://www.kungfucalendar.com/

There's no calendar out there like it!
    13 killer kung fu babes!
    9 deadly traditional Shaolin weapons!
    Weapons and forms history
    Birthdays of your favorite kung fu celebrities
    Both Chinese and U.S. holidays
    26 full-size, full-bleed, heavyweight pages
    I saw this yesterday and just burst out laughing. I recognized several names on the testimonials. I don't know who's behind it but I'm assuming it's an SD guy.

Given recent events, what better way to promote Shao-lin Do than to put out a calender with a bunch of hot Kung Fu girls on it in gi tops but no bottoms!

on the home page for the calender is the name of an old student of mine... nice to see he is still in ,, but kind of stange to see and teenager promoting a calander like this one??
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

"The ladies add a lot of grace and beauty to the weapons they're holding."

LOL. YES! I do need a calendar that tells me when Bruce Lee's birthday is! Hot ****! It's about time!

Just tell me which SD or ST school it is. I think I need to transfer. That school's got some talent, man, with the exception of 1 or 2 aiight chicks. Some reeeeal talent.