View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 898 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 398798848888896897898899900908948998 ... LastLast
Results 13,456 to 13,470 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    I agree, and you make a great point. The delivery method is more important than the exact location of the strike down to a couple milimeters. If it's not correct then it doesn't matter where you strike.

The delivery method is that "body method" I've often heard Bruce refer to. Your body must move as a unit and your structure must be correct. You should feel a connection from your fist all the way to the ground. Once you start to learn this or see it displayed properly, it is very easy to spot it's absence.

The human body is pretty resilient and can withstand a lot, especially with adrenaline flowing, so if you want to end a fight you have to be able to generate a lot of power. Yes, soft tissue takes less, however you need to maintain a structure at all times that you can defend and attack from.
    when i refer to body method or "shen fa" if ya want to speak some fancy chinese. i am talking about a method that is specific to the art you are developing. for example a hsing i punch has a different set of standards and method than a tai chi chuan punch.
    in self defense it does not matter as long as you keep you and yours safe but in practice and in teaching i think it is important to be clear about what makes each of these styles special and worth your effort and to also keep them seperate until you have enough personal understanding to mix them as you please, at that point it is your art.

you are right the human body is very tough. it can take a lot of damage and keep on going (although sometimes people just drop from the "right" punch.)
    in many cases martial artists who have never been in a self defense situation have a false sense of security about what they may be able to do.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    when i refer to body method or "shen fa" if ya want to speak some fancy chinese. i am talking about a method that is specific to the art you are developing. for example a hsing i punch has a different set of standards and method than a tai chi chuan punch.
    in self defense it does not matter as long as you keep you and yours safe but in practice and in teaching i think it is important to be clear about what makes each of these styles special and worth your effort and to also keep them seperate until you have enough personal understanding to mix them as you please, at that point it is your art.

you are right the human body is very tough. it can take a lot of damage and keep on going (although sometimes people just drop from the "right" punch.)
    in many cases martial artists who have never been in a self defense situation have a false sense of security about what they may be able to do.
    We had a very good chen player stop by one time. He mentioned that the same coiling principles in his tai chi exist in hung gar. In that sense, the power delivery system is very similar even though tactics might very... know what I mean? I thought that's what ya meant by body method. I admit I know nothing about the internals other than the internal aspects of the hung.

But Bill Wallace could put his kick on your chin when ever he wanted. Why Trainiing, speed, and accuracy much like PP training. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    But Bill Wallace could put his kick on your chin when ever he wanted. Why Trainiing, speed, and accuracy much like PP training. KC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI69s...eature=related

watch bill wallace as he fails to do what you say he can do when ever he wanted.
    why did he fail you may ask? it is because joe lewis wanted to win too. even though he did lose.

having the accuracy to strike your chin is very different than having the accuracy to strike ren 24 followed by ren 14 followed by cn 4...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

We had a very good chen player stop by one time. He mentioned that the same coiling principles in his tai chi exist in hung gar. In that sense, the power delivery system is very similar even though tactics might very... know what I mean? I thought that's what ya meant by body method. I admit I know nothing about the internals other than the internal aspects of the hung.
    what you said there is a aspect of what i am talking about and not in my opinion wrong. there are many similarities with different arts but in my opinion if you first understand the differences then you will be able to see what is special about each art.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    what you said there is a aspect of what i am talking about and not in my opinion wrong. there are many similarities with different arts but in my opinion if you first understand the differences then you will be able to see what is special about each art.
    I'm a progammer. We first take the properties that are the same and abstract them out if the delivery methods are the same then each art is an extension of that method. So, are the differences what make them special or just different? Hehehe

I'm a progammer. We first take the properties that are the same and abstract them out if the delivery methods are the same then each art is an extension of that method. So, are the differences what make them special or just different? Hehehe
    think of it this way:

you train sprinting, foot ball and base ball differently all 3 activities teach you to run but if you want to be a olympic sprinter you will not do that by training foot ball running methods.

all three methods involve sprinting and will teach you to run..... why dont olympic sprinting trainers send their people to baseball camp?

maybe a bad analogy but the internet has communication limitations.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Bruce, I think you and I were watching a different Bill Wallace fight looked like your clip proved my point. KC

wallace was very overrated as far as kicking ability goes

the one advatage he had that made him seem like a"super foot" was the fact he could kick slightly better than the guys he was competing against

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

You never saw Anthony Elmore or Thomas La Puppet or Benny the Jet I guess. Having seen him fight I can assure you he was much much better than alot of todays kickers. KC

You never saw Anthony Elmore or Thomas La Puppet or Benny the Jet I guess. Having seen him fight "I can assure you he was much much better than alot of todays kickers." KC
    lol sorry i just had to laugh at that one

Bruce, I think you and I were watching a different Bill Wallace fight looked like your clip proved my point. KC
    i guess if we sat and had a beer and talked in person i could express what i am trying to say to you. but it does not seem to be working here.

how many misses did bill have just in that one clip? which was the first one that came up in a google search?

i think he uses the kick face / kick balls very well but it is not the kind of pressure point accuracy you talk about...

next topic please.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Goju I got to ask??? Do you think you are a better kicker than Bill wallace? Or Benny the Jet?? Got to know
    Bruce I know what you are saying but I can also see the scores. If you hit at 5-8 points chances are you will get one or 2 and maybe the ones in thye sequence yopu speak of. OK next subject let me think. KC

Goju I got to ask??? Do you think you are a better kicker than Bill wallace? Or Benny the Jet?? Got to know
    Bruce I know what you are saying but I can also see the scores. If you hit at 5-8 points chances are you will get one or 2 and maybe the ones in thye sequence yopu speak of. OK next subject let me think. KC
    yes actually i do think i am a way better kicker compared to super foot as far as benny i dont remember watching him fight or train so i cant answer that

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Now that is funny. KC and you call me delusional. whew
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8elyh6jbuIg
    Look at that hand and foot speed for an old man
    Last edited by kwaichang; 11-25-2009 at 05:06 PM.