View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 900 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4008008508908988999009019029109501000 ... LastLast
Results 13,486 to 13,500 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I don't understand that at all.

I once asked how Masters David and Sharon learn new material since the GM lives in another state. Someone told me that for two weeks a year they have an intensive training session with him.

But can you really learn everything in two weeks? I was told they do 40-50 forms during those two weeks. At what point, even for elder masters does it start to become overload?

1800's English boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Not so much... he's just using tender/"vital" areas to strike that any Marquis de Queensbury boxer would strike for the era...

He's a Wing Chun practitioner.
    I got to take issue with that. I've seen that era boxing, that looks and sounds much different, at least to me. I'd like other opinions on that. And, Robert Downey Jr. may practice Wing Chun, but I think there is more to what is in that trailer than that. Does Wing Chun include leaping front kicks? I don't know, just thought it looked interesting.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Money

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Well your right it does keep people coming back(and spending money). And this is why sin the does it. Keep 'em spending that dollar!
    Why wait till your senior students are almost 70 years old before you teach them the good stuff. Now their too old to use it. Doesn't make sense.
    I don't know you and I'm sure you are a knowledgeable person, but that sounds in fact like the jealousy I spoke of. Once again, find me any martial arts instructor who does it for a living, who doesn't want their students coming back, or doesn't charge money for new instruction. Or doesn't use new instruction to attract new students.

And if you have a lifetime of information, what do you expect the instructor to do, teach everything at once? Or the most advanced highest level material first? And the newest generation of students will also be taking the same material.

And by the way, I know for a fact, GMS teaches his material to many of the older students free of charge, and has been for 30+ years.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    I don't know you and I'm sure you are a knowledgeable person, but that sounds in fact like the jealousy I spoke of. Once again, find me any martial arts instructor who does it for a living, who doesn't want their students coming back, or doesn't charge money for new instruction. Or doesn't use new instruction to attract new students.

And if you have a lifetime of information, what do you expect the instructor to do, teach everything at once? Or the most advanced highest level material first? And the newest generation of students will also be taking the same material.

And by the way, I know for a fact, GMS teaches his material to many of the older students free of charge, and has been for 30+ years.
    I can see how it might come off as jealously. But for me it's disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    If you think those pop corn kicks of your clip is good , I give up. KC
    um yeah they are they are fluid and they have power something the superfoot clips i posted lacked greatly

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I got to take issue with that. I've seen that era boxing, that looks and sounds much different, at least to me. I'd like other opinions on that.
    That's cool, but look into it. The stuff in that clip you're talking about is nothing special or secret.

And, Robert Downey Jr. may practice Wing Chun, but I think there is more to what is in that trailer than that. Does Wing Chun include leaping front kicks? I don't know, just thought it looked interesting.
    Wing Chun not per se, but Hollywood movie fu does...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

I got to take issue with that. I've seen that era boxing, that looks and sounds much different, at least to me. I'd like other opinions on that. And, Robert Downey Jr. may practice Wing Chun, but I think there is more to what is in that trailer than that. Does Wing Chun include leaping front kicks? I don't know, just thought it looked interesting.
    Downey Jr is taught privately by Sifu Eric Oram, hes been training since at least 2003. I believe it was said Oram was on set for the fight scenes.

Anyways, quite a few things in that trailer are textbook Wing Chun.

And the leaping front kick, to say that isn't wing chun is to reduce WC down to techniques. Its principles. Does wing chun include a concept for the front thrust kick? Absolutely. You can add a step or a leap to this concept, thats just a variable.

Holmes and kung fu

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    That's cool, but look into it. The stuff in that clip you're talking about is nothing special or secret.

Wing Chun not per se, but Hollywood movie fu does...
    I don't know that I thought it was anything special or secret either, other than the implication that Sherlock Holmes, in that era, had studied kung fu, period, which I thought was an interesting concept to inject into the character. And i suspect in the movie, him beating up bigger stronger people using Asian martial arts will be presented as something special (in that time and place). That's just my prediction.
    Just One Student

Holmes and kung fu

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Downey Jr is taught privately by Sifu Eric Oram, hes been training since at least 2003. I believe it was said Oram was on set for the fight scenes.

Anyways, quite a few things in that trailer are textbook Wing Chun.

And the leaping front kick, to say that isn't wing chun is to reduce WC down to techniques. Its principles. Does wing chun include a concept for the front thrust kick? Absolutely. You can add a step or a leap to this concept, thats just a variable.
    Thank you for the input, I knew there was something being presented that was intentionally trying to portray some authenticity.

Although, having read all Sherlock Holmes books and stories, I would have cast him as one more likely to escape trouble with his wits than his fists (or feet), although being quite a capable pugilist nonetheless, no character is safe from re-making in Hollywood. I can hear the conversation between Downey and the director now:

"Hey, here's something to think about, how 'bout Holmes turns out to have studied Wing Chun among his other talents, add to the fight scenes. I can get my Sifu in as an advisor!"

Anyone remember Schwarzenneger's visit to Master Hiang's Drunken style classes in Lexington, back in the Conan era?
    Just One Student

Yeah, he was there as the presenter for the Mr/MsKentucky Bodybuiling Chapionships that GMS was sponsoring. Got to meet and speak with him down by the weight room with GMS. He was still pretty big at that time.

4 or 7 star Wooden Dummy....

Hello everyone:
    Anyone ever see a 4 arm or 7 arm wooden dummy..?
    I know of the 3 arm Wing Chung wooden dummy...Its the same dummy but with 4 and 7 arms...Please let me know if anyone has ever seen that system...

I was taught for 30 years, with Sing Ming Li.
    just now i come to realize he has taught me a style that no one has seen before..?

Move over Jackie Chan, and Jet Li, here comes the Ultimate fighter...

Sherlock Holmes

If any of you recall the old black and white Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone, he had Chinese swords hanging on the walls of his office/apartment.

Cant believe you guys are talking about Movie MA like they are real. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Movie martial arts not real

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Cant believe you guys are talking about Movie MA like they are real. KC

No one said movie martial arts were real. Just said it was interesting when a movie, or for that matter any entertainment media, incorporates martial arts elements other than supernatural ninjas or flying kung fu masters. Like, Ian Fleming in 1959's "Godfinger" (the book, not the movie), with Oddjob demonstrating a flying side kick breaking a fireplace mantle, and Goldfinger describing the demo as "Karate," but compared it to judo "like a Spandau machine gun is to a catapault." Or again in 1964's "You Only Live Twice" (the book, not the movie), introducing James Bond to a school of ninjutsu. Maybe two of the first references in Western literature to what at the time were lesser known martial arts. Like the poster's reference to the kung fu swords in old Sherlock Holmes movies. Just interesting historical perspective, that's all.

And then we have Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi in "The Karate Kid" remake. A diferent discussion entirely.
    Just One Student

JC as M Miyagi??? Hadnt heard that KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !