View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 901 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4018018518918999009019029039119511001 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,515 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

So.......

Has it been established yet,after 12k + posts, that Shaolin-do is for real?

TWS

How ya doin KC?
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

As real as anything...

and who said movie kung fu wasn't real???????
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Lots of good wire work, Hey WS glad to see you are still around. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    JC as M Miyagi??? Hadnt heard that KC
    its a remake-parallel.

its the kungfu kid. staring JC as the sifu.

cool china daily article with a neat pic of JC training smith
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Kung Fu Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its a remake-parallel.

That's more like it!
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    zapatismo
    kicker64
    Just as a side note to the way things work. You'll rarely see anyone stay very long who gets very close in rank to Leonard. His ego is too big. If their ability is a threat, they'll be gone long before that. He controls Sin's rank advancements. The only reason Dave and Sharon and some of the other came as far as they did is because of the size of their schools. They essentially "bought" it. The threat of them pulling out of SDA outweighted Leonard's objections to their rank advancement. They are by no means "worthy" of 8th degrees in anyone's book.
    I dont care to address Goju, because anyone who wastes their time attacking others' interests is too pathetic to banter with.

But I will make a reply to Kicker.

It is not true to say EML does not allow people to get close to him in rank. He does not allow too many people to get close to him personally, that is true. But the only thing holding back ranks is time and also dedication. People have jobs, his job is teaching. And what he defends is partially for his own career, but mostly for what he loves.

Of all the things to be said about EML whether you are with or without, against, for, or neutral with him and his lineage one thing is true: you will never find a more loyal dedicated man to the martial art. The man spends his days practicing things few people in the world care to because they require true dedication.
    Now, is he nare impossible to deal with? Perhaps. I've heard one high ranking man say "EML defines loyalty differently." I'd have to agree that partially he defines it by obedience and partially by deference for his own teacher, whom he has complete and utter loyalty to - and for good reason. I believe he believes he'd have been dead by now if it weren't for GMSKT's teachings. That's also probably true if you know him and also his past ordeals and how meditation has saved him TWICE from certain death.

Let me say another thing about him. If anyone on here thinks they are a match for him, you are fooling yourself. The man is hard like iron, fast with a gun, strapped nearly 100% of the time and deadly accurate with many things... and most importantly he loves -no, he adores - the intensity of conflict and the challenge, and he is basically a man out of time. He is a reincarnation if ever I saw one of someone like Musashi. His ideals are more like to the Samurai than to Shaolin monks, I'd say, and if you understand where he comes from, then you'd know why. He's a true know it all, for sure, but for all that hubris he really can back his **** up, so be forewarned.

Now for all that, he's no "*****ly pear" all the time. But you must realize that he views his teacher, his art, and his country at large under threat from a growing decrease in traditional respect and courtesy, and basically morons at large. And this has made him less trusting I think (though he has become nicer with age and wisdom.) This makes him feel isolationist and all you people with your know-nothing judgementalism actually justify this behavior. [You think you're doing the world a service, you're really just dividing it up with your "I'm better than them" mentality.]

But any attempt to say he holds anyone back is pure BS. He gives out the information not only because he likes to share his love of the art with the few people who have enough love to share it (I mean he literally forcefeeds the info out because he feels he ought to), but really becuse he fears as many men of vast experience do: that they will have no one to succeed him.
    In his case I fear he is nearly right. I don't know many people - just a few I won't name now - that are as loyal and dedicated to the art and to his teacher as he is.

For being so loving and reverent of GMSKT, you people may count him as the fool.
    Well I count you as the fools because rather than fully assessing him and the art, and seeing the humanity in all of it, and seeing the beauty in such loyalty, you condemn him for it.

That is where you fail to cross the Razor's Edge. All men of greatness I've ever heard of had overbearing personalities and detractors. Even Lincoln or Roosevelt. MLK Jr. has people that call him a womanizer, and even old Mother Theresa has been attacked by small minded people.
    But they were all human, as is EML, GMSKT, and David Soard for that matter.
    I don't support what some people do but I find the qualities in them that I can learn from. And there is much to learn from David Soard, perhaps more in his downfall than anything. What I see in his story as I do in Tiger Woods or Mike Tyson is the ancient Yi Jing at play. While the false yang grew in glory, the false yin stripped the true (character, integrity) from below till nothing was left to hold it, and then Yang flipped to Yin and their empires fell. And it'd happen to any of you - especially you - because you don't know these ancient laws any better or you wouldn't spend your time like harpies tearing at immovable things from the shadows! You have no true yang as it is... you could never build a small kingdom yet enough have the learning experience those men have through their failures. They've lived in ways you never will, as you are too small to!

That doesn't mean D. Soard is done for, (nor Tiger Woods). But you people condemn Mr. Soard as though you've never made mistakes.
    Just as you condemn EML or GMSKT for your perception of their shortcomings.
    Well I hope the dust in their eyes looks good through the plank in yours.
    After you've grown into positions of ANY remark whatsoever, I'd like to see if your skeletons turn out any brighter than anyone elses.

Now I've gone and nearly rambled, but my point stands.
    As for GMSKT I've said enough on his behalf to satisfy my loyalty and feel I've not let a bunch of naysaying kungforum fighters get away without some licking themselves.

Is Shaolin-Do for real? Like someone said above as real as anything else. If you think your local American dojo is more real than any others, well ~_^
    You want real do your own research and do your own thinking. Better start with the Analects since you're a lot of American babboons with no manners.

fyi to the guy asking about Mingione, I know him and he is only one of two masters I observed at the Liu Hsing seminar that had any real intuitive knowledge of the form and the pressure points. His accuracy was much better than others even right next to him. The other was of course EML. Also he is agile and very very friendly. But don't try to get close to him early, like everything in our system, there is a pecking order that is as natural as anything I see, and in fact serves a function. When you've done it for three years, then would be a good time to make yourself more acquainted. Get through 2nd year syndrome first, and open your eyes and heart.
    And good luck.
    Last edited by shadowlin; 12-17-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Awesome statement I agree totally, KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

why on earth did you put my name in a quote box with something i didnt say?LOL

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

well said..
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

shadowlin? Wow. Very well said.

Karate Kid is not Kung Fu Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its a remake-parallel.

But, the trailers/previews still show the title as "The Karate Kid." And they give SD a hard time when they called it "Shaolin Karate." Even Jackie Chan is doing it now.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Sherlock Holmes does Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Downey Jr is taught privately by Sifu Eric Oram, hes been training since at least 2003. I believe it was said Oram was on set for the fight scenes.

Anyways, quite a few things in that trailer are textbook Wing Chun.

And the leaping front kick, to say that isn't wing chun is to reduce WC down to techniques. Its principles. Does wing chun include a concept for the front thrust kick? Absolutely. You can add a step or a leap to this concept, thats just a variable.
    Go see the movie. Its worth it, AND there is indeed kung fu, including one of the bad guy's henchman straight out of China. At least three separate fights featuring TCMA, IMO. And, it sure doesn't look like English boxing, considering at least one open hand "point" attack, and the fourth in the sequence from the preview (not shown in the preview) is the side of the kneecap.
    Just One Student

so doesnt look like your showing up on december either huuh kwai?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

so close to13000

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post

Human ego can be a terrible thing, no doubt.
    I can not add anything to this.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching