View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 908 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4088088588989069079089099109189581008 ... LastLast
Results 13,606 to 13,620 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

check your pm's.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    check your pm's.
    Didn't get it. try again or if you still have my e-mail send me a new message with your new e-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Shaolin Do affiliate in So Calif????

Actually its in Newport Beach/ Orange County

man its like a ghost town in here
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    man its like a ghost town in here
    ok then - Sin The: pre- or post-op tranny? discuss (should be good for another couple of pages on the "March to 1000"...)

Blog Entries

Children

How many kids does sin the have? I know he has a daughter, curious if he has a son? What are they doing with his art?

2 sons.. one of them i know was i belive a 3rd black and the other i have no idea.. but i think they are chasing there own dreams....
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Hi all …

I started my search for a proper martial arts school several months ago as a novice, knowing next to nothing about the difference in disciplines of martial arts, let alone styles. One of the first and at the time most intriguing possibilities for me was with a CSC school (now renamed) in my area. In my research of this school and the SD system as a whole, I found this thread. I ended up actually reading the whole thing as I thought it sort of a real conversation between the practitioners of the style and its critics. This thread was a research tool for me to glean information on SD. While not all of the discussion proved useful, I did find most of it helpful overall, especially some of the revelations in the later portion of the debate. I ended up finding out some troublesome information that I was thankful to discover BEFORE I had made a decision. What was once a possible choice became something I am very glad I took the time to cross off my list (this is not to slight anyone who practiced, practices or finds personal value through this system of MA – it just isn’t for me). Basically I just wanted to thank everyone that has taken part in all parts of the dialogue, even the trolls. With the information I got through the thread my options became clearer, I learned a few things and I was able to make a decision that is right for me. So thank you and a special thanks to Judge Pen. Peace.

first, contact guiness for a world record for reading this beast...

second, good luck in your journey.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    first, contact guiness for a world record for reading this beast...

second, good luck in your journey.

Thank you.

Cool Random!

Quote Originally Posted by Radhnoti View Post
    Here's the best idea of the way they should be performed I've read about "short form theory", it was put together by one of the TN students (as far as I know not a master) back when everyone was allowed on the Mullins forum. By the way, that one time shining example of free exchange of information is (I believe) ANOTHER casualty of petty politics.

Written by KungFuGenius on the Mullins forum:
    Here's a little short form theory I've thought up, don't know how right it is, but hey, why not get some feedback/discussion from my fellow SD people. Anyways, here it is.

Short Form Overview
    Short form is the foundation of future material taught to the student. It teaches footwork, punching, grabbing, breaking, sweeping, and kicking. It also promotes strength and flexibility throughout the body. Each block is a strike, and each strike is a block. Short form also teaches the use of the entire body as a single weapon. Hip and shoulder movement is very important, as they are the roots of the power in the arms and legs.

Attacking Power of Short Form
    In Short Form, your punch should start in mid-step and extend completely when the step lands. Before the attack is done, the hips should rotate with the fist, therefore extending the reach and power of the punch. When you step forward with the right foot, the left pushes the body forward, use this momentum to throw the arm and increase your striking power. The harder the back leg pushes the stronger the attack.
    When the hips and shoulders rotate with the punch, the body turns sideways and extends the arm further, which increases range and power. When the momentum of the back legs push and the twisting of the hips and shoulders is combined, a lot of power can be produced. It doesn’t matter what the movement is: punching, thrusting, smashing, blocking (in front, above, or to the side), this method stays the same.
    Kicking in Short Form is quick but strong. Pressing the hip out with the kick just before the moment of impact will ensure that you kick through your opponent, considering you’ve judged the distance accurately (neither too close or too far). Kicking can mess up the hip movement for the next attack. If you kick with the right foot, the right hip has shifted forward. Since most short forms end with a kick, and the kicking leg lands to start the next attack, having the hip already pressed outward when you set the foot down will cause you to lose power in your next attack (which is usually a hand attack). Because of this, rechambering the kicking leg is very important, as that sets the hip back into place, ready to rotate with your next attack, whether it be a punch or kick.
    In addition to hip and shoulder movement, each strike should be done as hard as possible. .Making each strike as hard as it can takes a lot of work and this training has no true ending. Though you will learn to strike harder, you are still striking as hard as you can, thus draining your physical strength. This goes back to the theory that Short Form is the foundation of all future material. Learn to punch and kick hard now so time won’t be wasted making them powerful later.

Balance and Stances of Short Form
    Stances in Short Form are deep, which creates strength and balance in the legs. Balance is very important because without it, the hip and shoulder rotation is awkward, which then in turn decreases the striking power. Rechambering the attacks will help your balance. Deep stances will also improve balance as well as flexibility and strength. In many styles, the stance is considered the essence and foundation of the art. Without a strong foundation, a building will crumble. Ideally, the thigh should be parallel with the ground when standing in the Bo Stance. A great deal of flexibility and strength is required to maintain the stances. The only way to improve balance, strength, and flexibility in Short Form is to do Short Form. Again, Short Form is a foundation, build the foundation now so the building won’t crumble.

Blocking in Short Form
    Every block should be crippling to the enemy. When blocking the head, the arm goes up in arc to clear the attacker’s limb out of the way. This clearing also begins the hip rotation. Blocking in front is done as if you’re attacking. Remember that each block is an attack and vice versa. Blocking as if you’re striking will make sure the opponent will be hurt no matter what he does.

Stepping in Short Form
    Stepping is done as if stepping over a fallen opponent. Step in a straight line. After each short form, bring the heel up almost to kick yourself in the butt, then step through. When you step, your body should not rise higher than the height of your bo stance; the same goes for when you throw an attack. This builds strength and balance in your steps.

Apologies to KungFuGenius for posting without his permission, but I thought this was very good and AT THE TIME it was posted on a public forum.
    Wo-ho! Haven't seen this in a while. I've been going over this topic's old posts and came across this Gotta say it's pretty flattering to be randomly found here But for clarification, I'm actually not a TN student, and certainly not a master.

any one heard anything about what GMS will be teaching in the fall??

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuGenius View Post
    Wo-ho! Haven't seen this in a while. I've been going over this topic's old posts and came across this Gotta say it's pretty flattering to be randomly found here But for clarification, I'm actually not a TN student, and certainly not a master.
    Nope, you're a WV student and a very good one at that. And your summation of short form theory is one of the best I've heard (and one I refer to from time to time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Nope, you're a WV student and a very good one at that. And your summation of short form theory is one of the best I've heard (and one I refer to from time to time).
    Thanks for simultaneously giving me a great compliment and creeping me out Have we met a time before?

No, you probably haven't seen him since the restraining order...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!