View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 91 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 418189909192931011411915911091 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Caravan of Courage was pretty cool, but the battle for Endor was really sad ..what was the whole point of it all. it makes caravan's story seem so pointless.
    Oh well...

Hahaha, I found it. The best thing I know how to compare it to would be that time as a small child, when you had the epiphany about Mister Roger's Neighborhood. George Lucas' punishment in hell will be having to watch it over and over again.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

[QUOTE=Starchaser107]
    I wish I were that flexible,

I was 25 in that pic. I am stiff where I used to flexible and flexible where I used to be stiff
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by BM2

I was 25 in that pic. I am stiff where I used to flexible and flexible where I used to be stiff
    You were 25 in the pic with the straight up side kick? How young were you when you acheived that?

-Will

Well I can not get it up like that anymore but when my free sample pack of Enzyte arrives I will be stepping large like Bob!
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by BM2
    Well I can not get it up like that anymore but when my free sample pack of Enzyte arrives I will be stepping large like Bob!
    HAHA.

But how young were you when you first were able to do that?

-Will

Talking

I can get mine up but it's more to an angle and not completely straight like that. It has a slight bend. I guess if I work it every day I might eventually get it to go straight up. Maybe I can even do it so well that I'll get into that magazine again.

I got the Star wars Trilogy for xmas last year and it was sweet.

1 complaint about it only though and that was the documentary.

Not the actual content of the making stuff, just the general message of "poor george lucas, he was so hard done by" that stunk up the documentary on the extras dvd.

the guy is SICK rich from all of it, got to do what he wanted, has total ownage of anything with the SW brand on it and forwarded the movie making industry by light years with his ideas on how to innovate the processes. It was dissapointing to come to understand that the doc makers were just ass sucking and george let them.

Last summer I was involved in a feature flick that Ron Howard was directing and even he had tremendous respect for the processes that George used. I remeber him saying they should've been filming in full digital (a Lucas thing) to save time and to make the whole process faster. Now that's praise from on high if ya ask me.

having said that, I hate Jar Jar, I can't stand ewoks, but the rest is interesting to be sure. I also clicked when I found out that George consulted with Joseph Campbell a lot when he was formulating the story. Now that's a guy who knows who to ask for the sh.it! George asking Joe that is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Don't believe the hype.
    All the Campbellian references and pyschological drama in ESB and ROTJ come from Lawrence Kasdan.

Lucas wanted ESB to be like "The Searchers," so he originally hired the screen writer of that movie, Leigh Brackett. Her script sucked, so he gave it to Kasdan and he composed a masterpiece. If you read the script for ESB, it follows the movie to the letter. The script is so tight that there are hardly any cut scenes or improvisations. Of course, the famous change is Harrison Ford's response to Leia when she says "I love you" just before he frozen in carbonite. But Harrison also had came up with the famous line from Indiana Jones: "It's not the years. It's the milage" or something like that. So, you have to give credit where credit is due.

Kasdan devleoped Yoda and all the Zen-esque affectations of the Force. If you read the original script of Star Wars, the Force was THE NARRATOR of the story. Nothing like Kasdan shaped it later.

Now, step forward 25 years. Lucas wrote TPM and AOTC himself. Those original scripts are like 250 pages each, with cut scenes and revisions galore. That's why the movies are sort of so-so because they were pieced together in the editing room.

My point is that the Star Wars movies are collaborations. Lucas gets all the credit, but he has an entire studio of people developing stuff and he just picks and chooses what he wants, then fits into his story outlines.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Ewok was Wookie spelled sideways

Lucas originally envisioned a great wookie battle for the finale, but then said he couldn't afford it

As fot the Star Wars Xmas special, here ya go. Man, that brings back memories. I remeber seeing it the first and only time, all excited because the original Star Wars, well, that was my generation. So there was this huge buzz about the special, then it was aired and every Star Wars fan was like WTF? It was so horribly bad - words cannot even describe it. If you ***** about Jar Jar, you ain't seen nothing like the Xmas special.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Lucas originally envisioned a great wookie battle for the finale, but then said he couldn't afford it
    He could afford it. The problem was that Chewbacca was too technically savvy. In order to complete the theme Kasadan had envisioned, the ending needed a completely primative society that defeats the evil mechanized Empire. So, they changed smart wookies around a little and came up with Ewoks. Again, that was a Kasdan influence.

The cute-and-furry aspect was actually Richard Marquand's idea. Steven Speilberg was originally going to direct ROTJ but couldn't because Lucas works outside the studio union system of which Speilberg was a member. So, Marquand was tapped to take over. If not for an SAG card....things might have been different.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 03-18-2005 at 09:47 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

bump for a great post.

Wonderful thread hijack

I guess it was inevitable considering the subject material. From Gay'esque showing off of everyones chest to Starwars. I love it. I guess my last Serious post to GT ended things pretty much with this thread.

You know i was going to post a vid of me doing a mantis form but i need to change the direction somewhat of the form so that you can actually see me executing the moves. I have a digi cam that can do mpeg shorts,,,,soon i will get it cleaned up for the camera and then post it.
    then you guys can make fun of me and say how my mantis form that i learned pre-sd looks like sd

I really wish to get back to the community here in a good way and not have to justify or explain the Sd thing anymore. it would be nice ya know.

Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    I really wish to get back to the community here in a good way and not have to justify or explain the Sd thing anymore. it would be nice ya know.
    Aside that your story is part of KFO/SD lore, I don't think that would be a problem. I think that people judge you independantly of your style, or former style, if you post on topics other than SD and discuss techniques and application rather than politics, history and lineage.

Have you started training, formally, in another art since you left SD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Jp

I have gone back to my original Teacher and training before SD. I am distantly connected in to Ng Family system (6 harmomy method boxing) Although,,all i have from that system is the Mantis form that i was taught. SO i just do that and on occasion i will do some circle walking and palm changes. But i have since spoken with my old teacher and he has always thought of me as his student so i was never "out" of his good graces.

The problem is that he is in Tennessee and if i want to get more teaching i need to take a road trip soon,,however another one of Dr Ng's Disciples that i know makes buisness trips to texas on occasion and we have tenatively set a meeting for training and such.

Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.