View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 915 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4158158659059139149159169179259651015 ... LastLast
Results 13,711 to 13,725 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Whoah...I was being nice, but since you went there...
    1) What is "Park kung fu"?
    2) Northern Shaolin has nothing to do with "wushu" the way you slashed it
    3)YZWang sux
    4) Really? Looks like you haven't seen ANYthing bro.
    5) Sorry, but SD did not create what you call Chin-na. Qin Na is in every style and I more than have a grasp of it.

Surprised you reacted this way to my asking if we knew each other simply since I noticed we are in the same area and studied at the same school (UGA). Now it looks like you may have crossed the line. I do hope I interpreted your intentions incorrectly...
    He may have reacted "this way" to your assertion that you are "the" Northern Shaolin guy in Atlanta. But I don't need to speak for Wook. He's perfectly capable.

BTW, he never suggested that SD created Chin-na. He merely stated that the applications of SD's Chin-na and short forms were sufficient, for him, such that he did not need to look elsewhere for combative training.

Not sure why you're offended.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    He may have reacted "this way" to your assertion that you are "the" Northern Shaolin guy in Atlanta. But I don't need to speak for Wook. He's perfectly capable.

BTW, he never suggested that SD created Chin-na. He merely stated that the applications of SD's Chin-na and short forms were sufficient, for him, such that he did not need to look elsewhere for combative training.

Unfortunately it's because I am the northern shaolin guy in Atlanta. I am referring to northern shaolin the style, not northern as a geographic distinction from southern shaolin. It's not Henan temple Shaolin.

That's cool though - perhaps I interpreted it incorrectly. Was just reaching out to a fellow martial artist living in the same city, who went to the same university; kinda thought the odds were that we had run into each other before, but didn't realize it due to the internet aliases :P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Whoah...I was being nice, but since you went there...
    1) What is "Park kung fu"?
    2) Northern Shaolin has nothing to do with "wushu" the way you slashed it
    3)YZWang sux
    4) Really? Looks like you haven't seen ANYthing bro.
    5) Sorry, but SD did not create what you call Chin-na. Qin Na is in every style and I more than have a grasp of it.

Surprised you reacted this way to my asking if we knew each other simply since I noticed we are in the same area and studied at the same school (UGA). Now it looks like you may have crossed the line. I do hope I interpreted your intentions incorrectly...
    LOL....don't take it personal bro. I wasn't slighting you in the least. When I practice, I'd rather be in a gym, and I figured you were the guy that taught outside in a "park." I have seen Northern Shaolin and practiced it, as well as its Wushu variety. YZWang is good at what he does--there's no need to hate any fellow MA b/c he doesn't do a style we prefer or we practice. We just prefer something else. If I express a preference (viz. a value judgment), don't take it as an empirical statement (viz. a fact). As for Chin-na, I don't give a **** who created it. IF it works, it's good. If it doesn't it's bull. BJJ and Judo put new lifesblood into my Chin-na as one of hte finest ways to hurt people without bruising them. I happen to like that.

You asked, I answered. If you feel I haven't seen anything, that's cool bro. I don't care....LOL. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 01-16-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Nope. I've seen your ad on the Atlanta pages but you're out of my driving range. I love to cross-train, but I'm not into the park-kungfu thing. THe only Northern Shaolin/wushu stuff I've practiced outside of SD in the Atlanta area was with Yinzhang Wang...but that was several years back. None of the Atlanta Shaolin schools do any sparring worth a **** outside of SD that I've seen. Practiced MMA for 2 years, did Capoeira with Mestre Robson, and I got a BJJ Blue Belt from a Gracie Barra Jiujitsu school. But I'm an SD guy at the core.

If you have a grasp of its chin-na and short forms, SD's basic techniques are like Hobbes's description of the state of Nature:

Nasty, brutish, and short.
    I agree with what you say about the basic techniques. I've always thought that the material from white to black was some of the best we have. Back in the beginning when SD produced many good fighters, there just wasn't a huge catalogue of material. People practiced the same sets over and over, and sparred alot. It seems people today just want to get to the next form without understanding what their learning at the moment. I know some people that completely forgot the beginning material once they got to black belt. They just stopped practicing them. That's my 2 cents.

AMEN!! my shao-lin do brother
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

6. Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I agree with what you say about the basic techniques. I've always thought that the material from white to black was some of the best we have. Back in the beginning when SD produced many good fighters, there just wasn't a huge catalogue of material. People practiced the same sets over and over, and sparred alot. It seems people today just want to get to the next form without understanding what their learning at the moment. I know some people that completely forgot the beginning material once they got to black belt. They just stopped practicing them. That's my 2 cents.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post

Well... considering I know both of them... Northwinds is "the northern Shaolin guy" here. He's the only guy in town teaching Buk Siu Lum. There are a couple of other Northern teaches here in town, but he is the only BSL guy.

Wookie is quite capable & knowing him, BSL isn't up his alley. He'd be bored to tears. SD works for him & good on him for that.

In reading the posts, I think there was a bit of misreading the posts.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

sean,,,, got any peanut butter? lol hope all is great in your world
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    sean,,,, got any peanut butter? lol hope all is great in your world
    Naw man... just got done with a snow mess down here... I do have jerkey & oatmeal though!!

:-)

How's life treating you?
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

oh man life is great,,, i am still on the right side of the grass???

"When I practice, I'd rather be in a gym, and I figured you were the guy that taught outside in a "park."
    That's funny - I need to make sure mine are forced to be outside more. I will say "Gym ladies! Lets take off those lotus shoes and be boys now! Out! Out!"

I have been conceiving a very long through-the-trees balance beam......one that has varying angles, heights and pole sizes. What a good winter project for the school.....

That "park" comment got me laughing and is going to make it rough on some vain little Ninjettes for awhile! Lol!
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    oh man life is great,,, i am still on the right side of the grass???
    BWAHAHAHAA.... funny you mention that. I need to add some pics of China up on my Facebook page & that's one of them.

I teach in the same park as Northwinds. We share rude comments & gear.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    I teach in the same park as Northwinds. We share rude comments & gear.
    And hotpants. Don't forget the hotpants :P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

And hotpants. Don't forget the hotpants :P
    It remains quiet or it gets the hose & dirty diapers to wear...