Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!
Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.
Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.
Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.
This Sin dude isn't the only MA guy to run some stuff past the masses for a buck. His followers will do pretty much whatever, Hee-Yah!!! Chop! Chop!
Well I love that I can even train in Kung fu or SD what ever you want to call it, having a bad injury sucks but training in anything is good I have found this out. Still like most of what I do and will cont to do it . no worries. KC
A Fool is Born every Day !
I haven't thought about this website in years. What thread do I find at the very top? Some things never change
I thought it would have reached the 1,000 page mark by now
VOTE FOR PEDRO '08
Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
Quote from SevenStar
Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching
First-time poster here...just wanted to say hello and thank everybody who has contributed to the thread so far...lots of good info. I'm on page 340 of this megathread so far and hope to catch up to real-time soon.
Been in SD for 5 years off and on (Kansas City and now Ohio) and am currently a 1st Brown. Study both external and internal paths. Previously studied Penjat Silat Bukti Negara and Tae Kwon Do before my current training.
What page are you on now in the thread? KC
A Fool is Born every Day !
1) ...all quiet...
2) ...a new poster spouts a one liner either for/against SD (usually against)
3) the post is called out as trolling but nevertheless riles the beehive. At this point one of two things happen: a) some SD proponent calmly asks for more specifics/more info on original poster's opinion or b) some SD proponent zealously lights the torches and assembles for battle
4) Banter goes back and forth for awhile and usually degenerates into debating nuances. Videos are posted. Lots of quoting happens here.
5) Insults are made. Personal attacks ensue. Chaos reigns.
6) Everybody realizes they've gone a bit too far for an Internet forum and generally backs down a bit. The people who were at each other's throats not so long ago now start making some constructive criticisms and/or gestures of brotherhood. I refer to this as the "post-fight kumbaya" phase.
7) There's a general agreement to disagree and folks summarize their opinions with closing arguments that usually are just a restatement of their opening post and with no new facts/information.
8) Repeat Step 1
...within this cycle I've been privy to some very cool info that would be pretty hard to find elsewhere. Proponents and detractors alike have been posting really cool pictures, sharing anecdotes, and linking some very nice websites. I especially like hearing from the old timers about the training methods and conditioning from way back when.
At this point I've gotten the feel for which posts (and posters) to just scroll through and which ones to read in depth. There are SD proponents and detractors in each of those categories so all in all it's a pretty balanced discussion
Please check your PM's when you have some time.
hello everyone, i hope everyone is training hard and going after all your personal goals,,, just curious what are you trainging goals, where are you going, what are you doing to get there?
...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..
I'm still very early in the journey but here are some long-term goals I'm hoping to achieve:
- Health and Longevity: I would love to live to 100 and be healthy the whole time.
- Passing on the Tradition: As part of the generations of MA's I'd like to be able to represent our system well and especially carry on the "specialties" of our school. Currently our school focuses on the internal styles as well as iron bone. Once I get further on in my training, I plan to focus as well in an animal style that suits my body type. My current thinking is Preying Mantis but until I get more exposure to that style it's hard to say. I plan on doing whatever it takes to develop a specialty in this area, whether it's seeking out well-recognized masters within my own system or even going outside of my system to "cross-train" my understanding and knowledge.
- Fitness and Flexibility: I'd like to have good fitness and great flexibility. This is going to be a long journey especially with my current hip flexibility.
- Qigong: I've always been fascinated by qigong and plan to study this forever. I'm currently still in "passive breathing" mode and have no expectations whatsoever of how long it will take me to reach each stage of development. It would be nice to achieve small circulation before I die. Also, being a science guy, I'd like to continue research and even potentially contribute to society's understanding of qi and qigong.
- Sparring: I'm not really a fighter but would like to elevate my level of sparring to a high degree and really work to incorporate the internal systems like Pa Kua and Tai Chi into my sparring. In working on timing, footwork, and other skills I'd like to be able to completely outmaneuver the opponent(s) to the point that the actual hit/strike is icing on the cake.
This might not be everything but should be most of it.