View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 923 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4238238739139219229239249259339731023 ... LastLast
Results 13,831 to 13,845 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

When you checked out the spear video, did you notice the other videos he has on YouTube? Weak!

Hmmm?

Was anyone here told the history and backround on this form? I was taught that GMT had to create this for for rank advancement in the black belt levels...Now I see that it is a standard wushu form... See my other post "attention anyone and everyone"...

Blog Entries
    I watched the chinese video on the other thread and must admit while not identical to how we do it, it is very similar. And I mean very similar. Makes you wonder though.....this form has been taught since the 70's, I think, how would sin have gotten it if he copied it? It was before dvd's and vhs. I guess he could have gotten it from a manuscript or something. Or maybe he was taught it and this validates the original material we have been taught.

Bodhi--yes, I watched some of those, too. very interesting.

When I said "weak", I was referring to Mr. Cook and his execution of technique. Had not heard of him before and I would be curious to find the source of his material.

I had been aware of the similarities of many different form in SD and the other arts. I never really got into the whole who came first, chicken or egg, thing. I enjoyed my SD, still maintain the material and have cross-trained in some other arts and managed to incorporate/integrate many of the techniques. I guess my military background has allowed me to accept what works for me, regardless of source, and discard what does not. I have no problem with a hybrid form or system if it works for me. If someone wants to dispute a system or style, that is their thing, not mine. Heck, if you did not allow that, this whole thread would not exist. Have a great day!

Huh!

Shaolin Do has its first 9th degree black belt..... is this also grand master or senior elder master or ????

Wow, that is a very bad representation of our spear fighting technique form. Who is this Jerry Cook fellow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I watched the chinese video on the other thread and must admit while not identical to how we do it, it is very similar. And I mean very similar. Makes you wonder though.....this form has been taught since the 70's, I think, how would sin have gotten it if he copied it? It was before dvd's and vhs. I guess he could have gotten it from a manuscript or something. Or maybe he was taught it and this validates the original material we have been taught.
    The Chinese write manuals on everything. Go to any Chinatown & you can find books on all sorts of MAs. Like a great many things due to print, transitions & intentions are lost. Also things are changed intentionally to point certain things out.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Wow, that is a very bad representation of our spear fighting technique form. Who is this Jerry Cook fellow?
    he is a 4th degree, teaches in Hamilton Ohio.

Is he with the SD club up there? Blue Ash?

...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

For the love of all that is good and holy!!

Gene(or any moderator for that matter). PLEASE lock this thread!

Shao-lin Do may exist in terms of..yeah..there are schools you can visit that claim to teach the art of the "Grandmaster" of the Shaolin temple(of which there is NONE--period!!!).....

BUT..

It is NOT an official style of Shaolin kung fu!!

Fight the phonies,
    LTN

LTN-thanks for your invaluable insight and contribution to this thread. Just for the fun of it, try, really try, to imagine that somewhere there is someone that disagrees with you. Yes, I know, hard to do, but try. Then, when you have just about wrapped your mind around the fact that you are not the center of the cosmos and that there is a remote possibility that you may have missed something or had misinterpretted something....look at this thread and try to understand that some folks just do not care what other people believe and prefer to do their own thing. Whether that is a mode of dress, speech or practicing a variation on a martial art, they just do something different than you. And regardless of what label is placed upon that, it is not wrong, but just different from what you choose to do or see. Deal with it and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandUsed View Post
    Is he with the SD club up there? Blue Ash?
    the master cook I am referring to is in hamilton . I dont know what affiliation he may have with the blue ash school.

the jerry cook referred to here http://9dragonskungfu.com/master_jerry_cook.html
    is a totally differant guy. I made the leap that since we are in the Shaolin-do forum that Master Cook in Ohio was the teacher you guys were talking about.
    Last edited by solo1; 09-29-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: add address

Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    For the love of all that is good and holy!!

Gene(or any moderator for that matter). PLEASE lock this thread!

Shao-lin Do may exist in terms of..yeah..there are schools you can visit that claim to teach the art of the "Grandmaster" of the Shaolin temple(of which there is NONE--period!!!).....

BUT..

It is NOT an official style of Shaolin kung fu!!

Fight the phonies,
    LTN
    Grad student with three years of MA training under your belt eh? Many of us probably have sweat on our belts/sashes older than you. Only three years of training and you are already in here arguing lineage?

If you don't like the thread, don't read it.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)