View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 927 of 1322 FirstFirst ... 4278278779179259269279289299379771027 ... LastLast
Results 13,891 to 13,905 of 19829

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Smile Sean

Dont get defensive I was just wondering, also in Line two there is Lan Chie I think that is Fan Chie or similar to it, well dont spend too much time on it the spelling may be off. I will send u the translations if you want them so you can research them and I have not done all of them but most. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Btw

I trained 7 Star Tang Lang for 10 years prior to SD and am well versed in that style but like SD better. KC

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Dont get defensive I was just wondering, also in Line two there is Lan Chie I think that is Fan Chie or similar to it, well dont spend too much time on it the spelling may be off. I will send u the translations if you want them so you can research them and I have not done all of them but most. KC
    Not defensive but pointing out what I'd already pointed out. No worries, no harm no foul. Lovliness of forums as opposed to face to face...

Yeah send me the translations if you don't mind. I'll IM you my email address.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Does this look like traditional kung fu

http://youtu.be/ZwZf8IUytuY
    I like it.
    I tried this before lets see if it copied this time.

Hua

Not really it seems the guy is slowing down and emphasizing Power more than anything but that is not the SD Hua either. KC

I think he just put together a sample of hua fist. But he is part of gm sin's lineage. Not sure who his teacher is. But I can appreciate his athleticism and technique. I never learned hua but wish I would have. Have you seen any vids that are a close approximation?

I have copies of the Hua as I was taught, this fellow is of the Sword schools of the west and seems to have had Tae Kwon Do back ground from his mechanics and execution of his techniques. His stances are not rooted but has good flexibility. KC I will look on U tube to see if there are any closer

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Since folks are talking Mantis here, I will jump in! (Just kidding, I know jack about mantis, aside from our BSL interpretations of some movements & theories).

LTN - Gotta know that I am with you on this, but also with the SD folks (bet you thought you'd never hear that from me, Sean, eh? :P)

I agree that SD is not what it purports, however I have too many friends that have been in SD and were able to pull the gold from the fodder so to speak, both in forms and fighting. That being said, I just can not buy the idea that simply because SC may (now...) have some northern preying mantis forms and such in it, that the student will be proficient in a northern mantis system (especially since there is NO "northern mantis" but rather a bunch of different mantis styles being of northern origin, like 7 star, mei hua, taiji, yadda).

And this could be said for any of the gazillions of styles purported by SD. Simply because someone picks up and then teach Sam Bo Fu Nan Choi, for example, it does not make them a Jook Lum practitioner.

No disrespect to the SD folks here - it's a new day and most people have access to the information out there, so they are making a conscious choice to go to SD, as for as I said earlier, it can definitely expose folks to some ideas & forms and give them fighting skills. However to be a true TCMA practitioner, ya have to train a true TCMA style.

Anyway, I am enjoying following this discussion. I won't post (cept for maybe every other two hundred pages or so :P) unless someone talks to me directly. Otherwise - y'all have fun now!
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Not really it seems the guy is slowing down and emphasizing Power more than anything but that is not the SD Hua either. KC
    Jake has added his own style to it, but SD is the source . He is an ex CSC student...you know the one that was caught up in all the drama last year and the year before, remember? he changed his last name...

"LTN - Gotta know that I am with you on this, but also with the SD folks (bet you thought you'd never hear that from me, Sean, eh? :P)"

Hey..it's no skin off my nose who or what you want to believe!

"agree that SD is not what it purports, however I have too many friends that have been in SD and were able to pull the gold from the fodder so to speak, both in forms and fighting. That being said, I just can not buy the idea that simply because SC may (now...) have some northern preying mantis forms and such in it, that the student will be proficient in a northern mantis system"

Saying that one is "proficient" in a mantis style(regardless of 7 star, 6 harmonies, 8 step, plum blossom,etc.) just from learning 2 or 3 forms is like taking 2 or 3 college classes in a semester of "Spanish 101" and(after failing to attend the rest of the classes for the rest of the semester/quarter/trimester) considering onself fluent in Spanish. I can't remember who made this analogy once..but whoever it was..thanks!

"(especially since there is NO "northern mantis" but rather a bunch of different mantis styles being of northern origin, like 7 star, mei hua, taiji, yadda). "

Praying mantis as a style(regardless of what sub style) began in Kwangtung(Northern China) province.

"And this could be said for any of the gazillions of styles purported by SD. Simply because someone picks up and then teach Sam Bo Fu Nan Choi, for example, it does not make them a Jook Lum practitioner"

BINGO!! And that is why the "900 styles" claim is too off the wall. A student doesn't learn the form "Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen" in the Hung Ga style and then go around saying "I'm a Hung Ga sifu". Well that's what Sin Kwang The dupes people into believeing (ie: you've learned one form from 30 different styles of kung fu..therefore you know all 30 styles). Just plain nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Jake has added his own style to it, but SD is the source . He is an ex CSC student...you know the one that was caught up in all the drama last year and the year before, remember? he changed his last name...
    So what did he do wrong exactly. I remember their being some controversy but never got any details.

Ltn

What are you trying to say, that SD has no supported training for its styles or forms if so you are wrong, the mantis itself has much to offer in that aspect You ever train or see SD at all? KC

"the mantis itself has much to offer in that aspect You ever train or see SD at all?"

Don't need to train in SD my friend..I study mantis!!(8step mantis). I've seen some SD and admit to not being very impressed..

Dont know what you have seen , but there are good and bad in anything Kung fu included. So sorry you had a bad experience with what you saw. KC

Sheesh....

The naysayers on this site still crack me up.

I'll admit that SD or ST or whatever is not "official" Shaolin, but I still haven't seen official Shaolin. Every Tai Chi instructor I've ever had--2 from China--has the "official" Tai Chi, and it's always some moot application that gives the form its "originality." To me, Tai CHi is wrestling, plain and simple. I don't care what the "official" applications are outside of curriculum issues as long as I can use Tai Chi principles.

SD/ST has its own forms, several of which are common to other martial arts. Look at Bai Yuan Tou Tao---50 versions of a form across various arts, all basically 7 Star. And all 50 versions teach the same principles of motion, blocking, punching, and trapping. It doesn't matter who you learn a form from, and you don't need "official" applications. After rolling in BJJ and training MMA, and studying ST/SD for 7 years on top of that (I think it's 7 years), I can tell you one thing:

If you need "official" applications, you probably have been missing the point all along. LOL.

As for Su Kong and the gang...is this even an issue? It's not like people are "pushing" an alternative history. There's advertising, sure, but nobody walks into the school saying--teach me your shaolin wookie lineage. LOL. People want to get fit and learn some cool stuff.

I still haven't seen a drunken form outside of SD that was ever worth a ****.
    No, no, no. You're not thinking. You're just being logical---Niels Bohr

Oh yeah!??!! Well, my dad could beat up your dad!--Lineage-Haters

For all nonsense there is an equal and opposite nonsense---Wook

My Youtube Channel