View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 929 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4298298799199279289299309319399791029 ... LastLast
Results 13,921 to 13,935 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Direct quote vis a vis the website:

"Some of the forms and styles we teach are:"

And for a further breakdown

Animal Forms
    •Black Tiger (Hei Hu)- this is a style(Black Tiger style). There are moves within forms such as "Black Tiger steals the heart",etc.

•White Crane (Pai Hao)-This is a style(ie: White Crane Kung Fu..you might want to look at books that Dr. Yang Jwing Ming has written)

•Monkey (Hou Chuan)-This is a style(ie: the Tai Shing Per Kwar or "monkey style")

•Preying Mantis (Tang Lang)-This is a style(the style of preying mantis--which is composed of several sub-families which are composed of different forms

•Tiger/Crane form (He/Hu Suang Hsing)- this is a form OF a style(Hung Ga)

•Shaolin Original Five Animal form (Shaolin U Hsing Chuan). The "original" is awkward. There are styles of kung fu which have a "5 animal form". Some examples include Hung Ga and Choy Li Fut.

Internal Arts
    •Ta Mo's I Chin Ching (Muscle-Tendon Change Classic)- this is a set of exercises that one sees in different internal arts..not a style of internal kung fu per se

•Tai Chi Chuan( Grand Ultimate Fist)- an internal style with many branches or families(ie: Chen, Wu, Yang, Sun)

•Pa Kua Chang (8 Changes of the Palms)- a style..not a form.

•Hsing I Chuan (Mind/Form Fist)- ditto

•Northern & Southern Fist- again..which ones?

•Chi Na-- you mean "Chin-Na/Qin-Na"?? This is a concept of joint/tendon locking and grabbing. There is not strictly speaking a style of kung fu called "Chin Na". There ARE however styles of kung fu which teach Chin-Na WITHIN the style(an example would be Eagle Claw kung fu-- or Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai)

Most of those say Form like Hua Fist Form or style is the same , But the Mantis is a system and incorporates all that you stated. I know because I have taken other styles and 7 star is one of them. I dont get your gripe though , your post just reinforced SD philosophy not yours. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

wow, this thread does go on and on and on doesn't it... lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post

•Chi Na-- you mean "Chin-Na/Qin-Na"?? This is a concept of joint/tendon locking and grabbing. There is not strictly speaking a style of kung fu called "Chin Na". There ARE however styles of kung fu which teach Chin-Na WITHIN the style(an example would be Eagle Claw kung fu-- or Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai)
    LOL...are you saying that wrestling is not a style of fighting? It's the "other" half of every single fighting system in existence. If you're not punching and kicking, you're wrestling. Or, you're doing something else, like running away, standing around with your thumb....in a mantis claw, or you're just dancing

As for Anglicizing Chinese characters, are you really going to pimp the hyphen here? There's an official Pinyin? Is it taiji or tai chi? Is it pakua or bagua? Is it Beijing or Peiking? You're reaaaaallly stretching yourself, chief. And hell, I'm a college english teacher.

You've out-pedant-ed a grammar pedant.

Talk about pedantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    As for Anglicizing Chinese characters, are you really going to pimp the hyphen here? There's an official Pinyin? Is it taiji or tai chi? Is it pakua or bagua? Is it Beijing or Peiking? You're reaaaaallly stretching yourself, chief. And hell, I'm a college english teacher.
    I just thought you would like to know (unless those were rhetorical in nature) that pinyin does refer to the official romanization system used today. Regarding your questions, the official terms are Taiji, Bagua, and Beijing. The only reason that people say Taichi, Pakua, and Peking is because those are holdovers from the old Wade-Giles romanization system. Wade-Giles was used in both common and literary circles to refer to Chinese terms in America and other English speaking countries for a long time. Old habits die hard.

By the way, I consider wrestling to be the "original" martial art. All cultures all over the world mention some type of wrestling in their history records long before they had codified systems of boxing.

"I dont get your gripe though , your post just reinforced SD philosophy not yours. KC"

??? I did?

I reinforced SKT/SD inability to understand the difference between a style and a form.

Look..you studied 7 star mantis. You've got Bung Bo as a form(among others). But you don't(after learning that form FROM 7 star) then say "I teach the bung bo system of kung fu' do you?

"LOL...are you saying that wrestling is not a style of fighting?"

No..again..you have selective hearing and retrofit my answer to conform to your own ignorance of terms and established traditions.

"It's the "other" half of every single fighting system in existence."

Right. Sorry. I've got to update my video library to buy the Chen tai ji wrestling/ground fighting form. As well as the 108 Wooden Dummy wrestling moves that Ip Man taught..to Sin Kwang The only!!!

"If you're not punching and kicking, you're wrestling."

There are 4 forms of attack defense. Kicking, punching, wrestling and Qin-Na. Yes..wrestling(Shuai..hence the term Shuai Jiao) and Qin-Na are separate from eachother.

"Or, you're doing something else, like running away, standing around with your thumb....in a mantis claw, or you're just dancing"

Mantis claw involves more than just the thumb.

Lighten up fella. If you had a drinking problem you don't call AAA(The emergency roadside service) and say "I drank a 5th of scotch last night..and the night before that..and the night before that too..I need help" do you? You don't go to an AA meeting(the self help group for recovering alcoholics) and say "Yeah..my Ford Taurus is stuck at the corner of 5th and Broadway can anyone give me a jump"..do you? So I'm not "pimping" anything. I'm bringing your information up to speed.

"You've out-pedant-ed a grammar pedant."

It's better than being flat out ignorant

"Talk about pedantry. "

See above

Talk about ironic here!!

" And hell, I'm a college english teacher."

If there was ANYONE who would be more of a stickler for proper terminology it would be you !

And being a man of higher academia..even if your degree was in English and not History--asian or other..you would see the value in fact checking your statements about SD w/ what is actually known.

Look at my avatar. Do you honestly think I believe the stories SD tells?

LOL.

And do you honestly think I believe Wang Lang fairy tales?

LOL.

What does English have to do with kung fu? I was making a joke.

A bad one, sure. As for "Englished" Chinese characters, is it gong fu or kung fu? Same difference. Is it labour or labor? Depends on which side of the Atlantic you're on. Those have nothing to do with anything except arbitrary convention.

SD teaches Jiang Rong Qiao (sp?) pakua.

It teaches Cheng Man Ching's Tai Chi 64 (with a minor difference in Hanging the Lotus/Cloud Hands).

It teaches at least two Jing Woo forms.

It has 7 star mantis.

It has some forms only ever seen in SD--the cranes, birds, Tai Peng, etc.

1/2 of SD is other styles and even then with variations.

I've done the homework. You've looked at a couple of websites. LOL....

Ok

Style ; method of performing something like style of Hair short or Long.
    Form; a series of movements in a continuous method that portrays a method of attack and defense or philosophical ideal such as circular / Taoist, Budhist etc.
    Method: Choy La Fut, Shaolin, Hung Gar , SD , etc, a complete system consisting of a # of forms and training to convey a style of attack or defense , or philosophy all encompasing. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Has anyone posted any Shaolin Do forms or applications yet?
    (((it's been a while since I chimed in here)))
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    not missing much, same old same old.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Lotta that going around yet it's subtly different
    How're you DB76?
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Has anyone posted any Shaolin Do forms or applications yet?
    Applications:

Keep your hands up. I like one near the left side of the jaw, the other in jab range. Jab-jab-cross. If he jabs, cover the center, or, keep your range. Counter punch with combos. When you're in kicking range, keep your kicks low--aim for the inside thigh or outside thigh (perhaps the knee). Check your opponents' kicks, or trap them when you see his hip move. If he lunges with a jab/cross, sweep the inside of the front foot. Keep one hand near your left ear and use your elbow to cover the center. Knee him in the face. Use various SD/ST pivoting and stepping techniques to counter whatever your opponent throws in order to get inside and work the angles.

If he grabs you, or, more likely, if you grab him, lock in your hooks, fight for leverage, throw your knees, and drop his center every time he rears up for a knee. Grab and rip anything convenient if you're fightin for your life. Now practice Chin-na...SD/ST has 30 chin-na grabs, locks, throws, and escapes, which are only useful when you're in locking/wrestling position. Tai chi is also extremely helpful here, since once you lock him upit'll help you jockey for position. Now is the time to use tai chi/chin-na/pakua. Use them to isolate joints for breaking or to throw your opponent off balance.. One hold/break leads to another, and always protect your neck. Or, use the sweeps from the short-forms (roughly 4 go-to throws/sweeps min.).

Always stay lower than your opponent if you're wrestling. Counter his motions with whatever you've learned from SD/ST. And as always, if he grabs two wide, #1 punch, and dirty box your way back out. Never freeze up, always stay loose, and work every angle you can to create/take-away space.

Or....did you mean fantasy fighting in isolated units? Those aren't applications. They're just forms, even if they're two-man forms. Applications only work when you apply them, and when you apply them it's within the larger construct of actual fighting.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 10-23-2011 at 12:07 PM.