View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 933 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4338338839239319329339349359439831033 ... LastLast
Results 13,981 to 13,995 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Studied SD from 1970 until 2002. Enjoyed the vast majority of the material and the people. Did not care for some of the drama and a few of the attitudes (ego). Would love to see some of the photos of any of the older masters and get information about them.

History and pics

Old Man, would it be possible for you to share this with us. I too am a beginner in the Shaolin Do system and would really love to learn this stuff.

old man, I started in SD in 1985, started teaching in 1993, so it is something i care alot about, but i train and teach for myself, i enjoy what i do and feel that i have benefited alot from my years and have many students who feel that have from what i passed on to them. So if you ever wish to share what you have i would me honured to get the chance to see the info
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

has any one on here had much luck or any good ideas with home made training aids?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

3 toilet plungers hooked to bungees, the wooden poles covered with foam tubing to give them girth. [I can provide photos if desired]

Wrap the bungees around a heavy bag. Anchor the bungees around the heavy bag stand.

Makes a fantastic and affordable Mook Jong on which to work Mantis 7 Hands.

1 bungee has to have 2 plungers strung to it.
    1 bungee has only 1 plunger attached to it.

If I want to work short form combinations on the bag quickly (throwing combinations), I just just the 1 plunger bungee.

This works like butter, even if you don't get the Mook Jong's resistance for nerve conditioning. No kidding....part of my daily routine when I wake up. Then I work on centerline covering and throwing straight jabs as fast as possible for 5 minutes. I also use White Monkey Steals the Peach punch combos. It also gives you a good feel for body position when throwing roundhouses and Thai-style leg kicks. You can work Ippons on this apparatus as well.

It's actually quite versatile, and only costs 20 bucks on top of the heavy bag stuff. Great for when you have trouble making it to the school for class (I'm strictly a weekend warrior with current job schedule).

Other than that--forms, forms, forms, and then repeat: forms.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-19-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nautavac View Post
    Old Man, would it be possible for you to share this with us. I too am a beginner in the Shaolin Do system and would really love to learn this stuff.
    I used to think that finding out more about the art's history would make more sense of the thing.

Seems like a dead-end.

The art is what it is, and you still have to make it work--even if you have the most respected teacher in existence. It is what it is, and it has to hurt somebody else.

That part is much simpler to comprehend and bring to fruition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    3 toilet plungers hooked to bungees, the wooden poles covered with foam tubing to give them girth. [I can provide photos if desired]

Wrap the bungees around a heavy bag. Anchor the bungees around the heavy bag stand.

Makes a fantastic and affordable Mook Jong on which to work Mantis 7 Hands.

1 bungee has to have 2 plungers strung to it.
    1 bungee has only 1 plunger attached to it.

If I want to work short form combinations on the bag quickly (throwing combinations), I just just the 1 plunger bungee.

This works like butter, even if you don't get the Mook Jong's resistance for nerve conditioning. No kidding....part of my daily routine when I wake up. Then I work on centerline covering and throwing straight jabs as fast as possible for 5 minutes. I also use White Monkey Steals the Peach punch combos. It also gives you a good feel for body position when throwing roundhouses and Thai-style leg kicks. You can work Ippons on this apparatus as well.

It's actually quite versatile, and only costs 20 bucks on top of the heavy bag stuff. Great for when you have trouble making it to the school for class (I'm strictly a weekend warrior with current job schedule).

Other than that--forms, forms, forms, and then repeat: forms.
    I'd like to see the pics. Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    has any one on here had much luck or any good ideas with home made training aids?
    Like what, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I'd like to see the pics. Sounds interesting.
    I'll put some up this weekend when I get a minute--I'm thinking about just making a webpage to show people how to make the rig. Lot's of people are looking for affordable training equipment, and this one is my personal favorite (a $700 mook jong is way out of my range, and impractical for where I live / what I do).

The cool thing about this rig is that it's unforgiving. The handles are long enough that you really have to pass the guard to get a good shot. If you bridge weakly, the plunger handles will jab you in incomfortable places (they'll prod you in the shoulder and collar-bone, jab you in your armpit [which sucks], or rub up against your ribs). In other words--you get hit, and somtimes it hurts. You really have to control your line and work angles by shifting your feet (like crane is supposed to do to cover angles). Develops better habits than a heavy bag by itself, since you can't ever throw a punch with combos without protecting center. I'm a fan of crane center-line protection for in close fighting (using elbows), and the rig works well for developing quick strike combos out of the block. And you always know there are multiple angles to protect.

I like to sit in a horse stance in the morning and take my mind off the pain by working combos on the single-arm.

1 thing I did notice over time--I know no Wing Chun (1 took something like 4 WC classes in my life), and no Mook Jong drills. My center line coverage now "looks" very Wing Chunnish. You have to keep your elbow low to keep the plunger rods from jabbing you, and the harder you hit them down or to the side, the harder they swing back to center, so you have to drop your elbow to cover more. You naturally develop strong centerline coverage. Plus, if your elbow is low on the bridge, you can cover the arm and strike without getting jabbed in the armpit. If you thus strike with your blocking arm first, using the block as a strike, then you you can throw mad combos. We all know this in SD through various tips/tricks, but this rig really develops the natural form for bridging and blocks-are-strikes coverage, making it 2nd nature.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-21-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    I look forward to it.

New Shaolin Do Grandmaster

Shaolin Do has a new up and coming Grandmaster and she's a girl.

http://screen.yahoo.com/world-s-hair...-28406257.html

Cool. I'll sign her up for dance lessons, and before you know it, she'll be on the Superstars of Dance like these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7QvK0h1z2c.

in my opinion, although your groups were definitely close knit and there were many friendships made and you guys had good times, it is still a lie.

and your good times made on that lie is perverse and evil.

in my opinion it is like a foul black fog that still lingers.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    in my opinion, although your groups were definitely close knit and there were many friendships made and you guys had good times, it is still a lie.

and your good times made on that lie is perverse and evil.

in my opinion it is like a foul black fog that still lingers.
    Oh you mince words, tell them how you really feel
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

For what it is worth, it never really mattered to me if SD was a recent fabrication, traditional or centuries old. I enjoyed the workouts, the comaradre and the improved fitness. I had practiced more traditional and accepted arts before SD and have practiced more traditional and accepted arts since SD. SKT is not a God, he is human. I never set him up so he could fall, I simply accepted him as he was. I personally do not care one whit whether SD is accepted anywhere but in their own schools. I have participated in many open tournaments and have done well against the traditional arts. I am an experienced law enforcement officer that has used the techniques in the street and they worked just fine for me. Frankly, myself (and I expect many others), do not care one little bit whether the at large community accepts SD or not. I recall very early in my training, around 1970, when SKT stated that SD was about the largest independent MA community there was and he wanted to keep it that way. So, we are independent and we like it. We do not ask for or need your acceptance.