View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 950 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 45085090094094894995095195296010001050 ... LastLast
Results 14,236 to 14,250 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I watched your video, that was nothing like a jab. Looked more like a kick coming from the back leg than a jab. Jabs are done with the lead hand not the back leg. So either you. Are wrong, your examples wrong or both.
    LOL at trying to talk about mechanics and physiology, an your rebuttal is "jabs are done with the lead hand."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    LOL at trying to talk about mechanics and physiology, an your rebuttal is "jabs are done with the lead hand."
    I was being funny.
    I just realized it is pointless to have a conversation with you about anything. I could add to it ,but why? No point in argueing with you, you are a know it all and a fat mouth.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 04-08-2012 at 09:01 AM.

What are you, 14 years old?

MK is right. Deal with it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

The Muay Thai kick in that video looks very similar in mechanics to their roundhouse kick, at least in the first part of the movement.

Same step and same hip?

Starting from the back leg, using the hip turn, leading with the knee, the support foot turns outward. Then they diverge, with the knee strike thrusting with the knee forward but the roundhouse uncocking the leg and the foot moving in a half circle. But the core of the movement looks very similar.

Or if I'm wrong, I'm happy to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    The Muay Thai kick in that video looks very similar in mechanics to their roundhouse kick, at least in the first part of the movement.
    A MT kick and traditional round kick are somewhat similar, but there are major differences. A traditional round kick snaps from the knee, with the emphasis on maintaining balance.

A MT or San Da round kick folds the hips and power is generated like a baseball swing; by turning the hips. The trade off is more power, but if you miss your back is exposed because momentum forces you around, and your balance can be compromised.

Traditional kicks use a little hip power, depending on your teacher, but not in the same manner as the sport kick.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 04-08-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What are you, 14 years old?

MK is right. Deal with it.
    Are you? You are wrong and so is he, you are just to ignorant too know it.

Yeah, because the Army sends 14 year olds to Afghanistan.

However, there's no shortage of kids who plague the internet hurling juvenile insults when they are proven disastrously wrong.

On THAT note, I'm done with you, kid.

Got your back, MK.

And Rett... you aren't wrong that the two techniques appear the same. Not being a MT person, I would wager that the fact that they look similar assists them when conducting feints. A low block for a knee makes it hard to readjust to something higher, especially considering the fast and chaotic nature of fights. I think I've even seen some clips where the opponent looked like he was moving to block a knee, only to be kicked square upside the head.

You'd have to be looking at posture instead of the limb at that point.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

I just call it like I see it. You have been riding his nuts the whole way and have shown only ignorance, army man. Now you are just being stupid.

I just call it like I see it. You have been riding his nuts the whole way and have shown only ignorance, army man. Now you are just being stupid.
    I'm quite stunned that you haven't been banned yet. You are contributing nothing and insulting people, including mods.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Last edited by MasterKiller; 04-09-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Yeah, because the Army sends 14 year olds to Afghanistan.
    Thank you brother.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Knee Slappin good time

Hey the Jab is usually with the lead hand , the knee is multi angle not just straight on , It can be thrown inward , outward and straight on Lead and back leg. The round house is different for MT , Japanese and Korean all three have different mechanics and mode of power generation and physics. The Hand slapping the foot or shin thing, well no one has brought up the idea of the person being sideways instead of straight on. No one will stand there straight on and let you straight leg kick them in the groin and pull their head down, I read all of the last 4 pages and none of you even thought the attackee was at another angle other than straight on in the app of that technique, some what limited thinking I would say. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    The Hand slapping the foot or shin thing, well no one has brought up the idea of the person being sideways instead of straight on. No one will stand there straight on and let you straight leg kick them in the groin and pull their head down, I read all of the last 4 pages and none of you even thought the attackee was at another angle other than straight on in the app of that technique, some what limited thinking I would say. KC
    You're also limiting your thinking by not assuming you are in zero gravity and your opponent is a xenomorph.

Sir U hate it when you are called on something dont ya . Come on Fonzie MK say it U were Wrooooong KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

IF your system was legit and the forms developed by someone with correct understanding of the historical context of forms, you would realize that not EVERY move has a combat application in a form ( though you can most certainly make one have it if you want to).
    Forms were created not only to "catalog" techniques and principles but also for physical exercises.
    A move like the "kicking of the hand" was quite probably just that, a part of the form that was used for displaying/testing physical prowess ( in this case flexibility).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !