View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 964 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 46486491495496296396496596697410141064 ... LastLast
Results 14,446 to 14,460 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Blog Entries

Gi's and belts

Hung I Hsiang, an internal master in Taiwan years ago, had his students wear gi's and belts. He was a well respected master. He said he wanted his art to grow like karate.

Question Sifu Frank,

Is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObQVRqrrhQ

supposed to be a completely different form than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LrSzE6ZtY
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hey Meecer I guess you never really had friends then did you. I enjoy meeting new people who love martial arts and hate losing contact with those I like . Sorry you dont have any friends. KC
    KC ... I have plenty of friends ... but I also have a very busy life. When we become adults we don't have time to go hang out with friends. We spend most of our day working for our paycheck and then the remaining couple of hours with our family.

What is really sad is for an adult to cry that their friends have left them because they don't call them on the phone anymore.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    even if there are different versions of this form, they were all created by the people belonging to this (my) lineage. you won't find any other school doing our 5 animal form unless they learned it from the book or doc fai wong's video. outside of that, there is NO other source for this form but HUNG SING KWOON
    And that is probably the truth. I can't disprove that nor am I trying to. Heck, based on what I know, I'm willing to concede that the probable origin of this version in SD is from DFW's book or video. I just think that just because we can't find examples on the internet or otherwise of a "100% LEGITIMATE" lineage that does this form doesn't mean it hasn't been taought elsewhere. If it came from Lau Bun's wife whose family were "nothern practitioners" it is certainly possible that it exists elsewhere and we just don't know about it.

Neither of us can prove a negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

even if there are different versions of this form, they were all created by the people belonging to this (my) lineage. you won't find any other school doing our 5 animal form unless they learned it from the book or doc fai wong's video. outside of that, there is NO other source for this form but HUNG SING KWOON
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    it seems like oldnoob is asking what DFW is doing that expresses your styles foundations well.
    Thanks Lucas for the proper interpretation of my apparently bad english. I wasn't asking what was messed up about Jake's performance. It seems pretty clear that the universe of vastly superior martial artists on this forum has condemned his performance.

What I'd like to know, and what I haven't seen yet seen on these fora, is someone give a good explanation of why something that is good is good. People will say "good rooting," or "proper foundation," or "not karatefied." What I want to know is what about DFW's version properly shows the foundations of your system? What is he doing that is right? Isn't it more helpful to consider the right method than the wrong so long as one has an example of right?

Oh

Oh, also didn't mean to disappear fromt he conversation, which I agree is a good one applying the normal standard of conversation around here. I was at a lake house with no interwebs. It was actually quite nice.

Let's try one more time.

This is what's wrong with the video jake is attempting to perform that belongs to MY lineage.

57 secs first is the placement of his hands in the beginning is very KARATE and not how we do it in CLF.i have no idea where he got that jumping kick thing from. LOL. its not in the original form.
    1:00 -1:06 LOLOL.....wrong.
    1:06 - 1:08 he is doing it like a prissy ballerina, focused too much on the prettiness of it. LOL
    1:13 - 1:19 .....uh NO.....uh No-o! Uh Uh.....he mutilated it. ew.
    1:26 - 1:35..... uh NO.....uh No-o! Uh Uh.....he mutilated it. ew.
    1:40-1:44 LMAO.... ..... uh NO.....uh No-o! Uh Uh.....he mutilated it. ew.
    1:46 uh no!
    1:47 - 1:58....uh oh hell no! LOL
    1:58 - 2:05........ OMG wtf??????
    I'm not asking you about Jake. I'm asking you what about DFW's version of the form represents well the foundations of your system? What does he do right? Why is it right? How does it show qualities that are valued in your system? What are those qualities?

Are you not answering my questions because you really aren't understanding me or are you not answering because you can't or won't? All of those options are fine as long as you're up front about it. Your continued insistence on answering an unasked question, however, is curious.

9. I think thats retarded HSK. You come on here and blast someone you dont know and when we ask for concrete examples of your massively impressive super duper real deal 5 animal you say no thanks?

Well WTF to you. You have added no value except to curse and lament and libel another person via a forum and provide no real data to assist others in their practice.

You come off like a spoiled child. Give us information to help, and your breakdown of Jakes form is not helpful at all, or stop complaining.

You come off very childish.

10. Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    if YOU are a shaolin DO student can you please tell me.......

WHAT DA FACK IS A FACKIN MONKEY BEAK? WHAT KIND OF FACKIN MONKEY HAS A FACKIN BEAK????????????? TELL ME DUDE!

IF MY SIFU EVER TOLD ME THIS TECHNIQUE WAS CALLED MONKEY RAISES TWIN BEAKS I'D JUST LAUGH AND CALL HIM A FACKIN CRACK POT AND NEVER COME BACK.
    I am not a SD student nor can I tell you what a monkey beak is...I can surmise from the hand position, though that it is an easy way to refer to a backhand strike that monkeys make. Helps a student understand the positioning of the hand a bit. Would I refer to it that way? Nope.

Also I do not practice nor know the 5 animal form. But I would never treat others the way you have. I imagine your 5 animal looks like crap as out of shape as you are but you go ahead and keep judging.

Sharing knowledge is not a sin nor is giving a few pointers. I wouldnt want to learn the form from you at all. But body mechanics and spirit in forms is easy to understand if you make a few suggestions off of seen movements. no one asked you to give away the secret sauce...just a few pointers as to what was so horrible. And the response again was full of holier than though negativity.

11. Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Would one of you children mind answering
    the following questions in between tantrums?

"1. What was the "Original" published date
    of the first ptinting of DFW book?, both
    English & Chinese versions."

2. Would some one please provide the
    ISBN numbers for the English/Chinese
    versions. Either the 10 or 13 digit number
    I can look it up for my self.

Thanks in advance
    OTD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Doc-Fai

this says 1987

12. Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    Bibliographic information
    QR code for Shaolin Five Animals
    Title Shaolin Five Animals
    Authors Doc-Fai Wong, Jane Hallander
    Edition illustrated
    Publisher Unique Publications, 1988
    ISBN 0865680809, 9780865680807
    Length 130 pages

as right as about how much you take dik in ur as$
    now THAT sounds about right.....

FOR EVERYONE ELSE, YOU TAKE A LOOK. I COPIED TO EXACT SAME WORDS YOU WILL NEED TO SEARCH THE NAME OF THE NORTHERN SHAOLIN 5 ANIMALS FORM IN CHINESE. IT WOULD DEFINITELY BE IN CHINESE IF IT EXISTED IN CHINA RIGHT? OR BEING TAUGHT BY OTHER SCHOOLS OF OTHER LINEAGES, RIGHT? WELL HERE YA GO.

北派少林五形拳 (NORTHERN SCHOOL OF SHAOLIN OF 5 ANIMALS FIST.)

"北少林五形拳" (NORTHERN SHAOLIN 5 ANIMALS FIST")

TELL ME WHAT YOU COME UP WITH.
    I'd rather you scanned the book and then took screen shots of jake and illustrate the markers not found anywhere else.

Can you do that, please?

Thanks

Kungfujunky
    Thanks for the Info. Do you know if it (the Book of 5 Animals)
    was ever published by DFW in Chinese?
    OTD

i already marked to points he is doing it wrong. but will i tell anyone outside of my lineage how to perform it correctly especiially when they learned it from a book? that answer would be a NEGATIVO!!!!!
    That isn't what I asked for. I don't wanty secrets. Just point out the markers in the book and how you know jakes form came from the book with said markers. I'm not asking for secrets. I'm asking you to disect to pieces of material that have been released to the public and show the proof.

If you already did that, I don't see it. Show me. The hardest part of this should be creating screengrabs. Not asking to reveal secrets. Markers aren't secrets. I don't need to know the true form. I wanna see the similarities between the two public versions that prove Sin The got it from the book. Simple, no?