View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 983 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 48388393397398198298398498599310331083 ... LastLast
Results 14,731 to 14,745 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I was told by my teachers that you can do a bat sound in section 4. They did not do it personally when they performed the form, but that is what Sin The taught my teacher. I would suspect that this is often not taught or discussed because, frankly, its silly.

My first teacher did not teach that.

By the way, how many are taught to laugh in Hsing Ie? Other animal sounds in other forms?
    I was taught hsing Ie by my teacher, who was taught by sin the'. He said sin taught a laugh in the Linkage form.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I was taught hsing Ie by my teacher, who was taught by sin the'. He said sin taught a laugh in the Linkage form.
    That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

That's how we're currently taught in the LInkage form as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    the laugh is a hung gar thing isn't it?
    Not sure. I'm not that familiar with hung gar.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I don't think anybody really knows what authentic chen looks like anymore. Taking the practice and making it work for you based on your understanding is definitely the goal of all of this in my opinion! Sounds great, and can't wait to see what you post. This kind of discussion is the reason I came to this forum for sure.
    Actually youtube any Chen family member doing Xinjia Yi Lu. That's what that set should look like. If doesn't look like that it's not right.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Blog Entries
    if its a HA-HA-HA-HA-HA type laugh then its from Hung Gar.
    What set would that be?

wow, this is such a load of horse pocky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3Y-d8jpnI

"So what?!. did you not practice your tai Chi and Pak Kua skills?"

excuse me while i throw up
    Last edited by Snipsky; 09-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Actually youtube any Chen family member doing Xinjia Yi Lu. That's what that set should look like. If doesn't look like that it's not right.
    Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqH-lnbrgA8

if its a HA-HA-HA-HA-HA type laugh then its from Hung Gar.
    Actually, it's more of a HA-HA-HA type of laugh

Yep... good example.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Yep... good example.
    Compared to the example, yes this is similar to what we practice. The sequencing is nearly identical and the actual movement is similar enough.

There are some slight differences w.r.t. height of stances and continuity between postures but I think these fall within the normal variation you'd see with any form.

Sounds good.

I don't think anybody really knows what authentic chen looks like anymore. Taking the practice and making it work for you based on your understanding is definitely the goal of all of this in my opinion! Sounds great, and can't wait to see what you post. This kind of discussion is the reason I came to this forum for sure.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shaolindointernal

there are several videos of bill leonard and sin the doing tai chi chuan, pakua and hsing i.
    you tell me what you think it looks like. keep in mind these are the top 2 people in shaolin do.
    Last edited by brucereiter; 09-21-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shaolindointernal

there are several videos of bill leonard and sin the doing tai chi churn, pakua and hsing i.
    you tell me what you think it looks like. keep in mind these are the top 2 people in shaolin do.

Bill Leonard is not a very good forms person. I know he's a good fighter, but his forms are just bad.
    That chen style that is shown is jacked up and obviously was picked up in a very short amount of time. It's sad really, because you can tell sin would be impressive to watch if he would have stayed with what he was actually taught.
    The Pakua video was too short. I learned it before his body building mullet stage. Seems the bodybuilding made him more rigid.

Yes

That is Grand Master Chen Xiaowang doing the 1st part of the new frame or Chen 83....Chen Tai Chi has been kept intact by the Chen Family and should look the same now as it always has (other than individual flavor). Of the Chen forms (IMO) Cannon Fist is the ****!

Bill Leonard is not a very good forms person. I know he's a good fighter, but his forms are just bad.
    i am sure bill leonard is or was a very strong and skilled fighter but that does not mean he is doing chen/hsing i or what ever. the old excuse's i heard for his "bad" forms is "thats the way the monks in the temple used to do it".

That chen style that is shown is jacked up and obviously was picked up in a very short amount of time. It's sad really, because you can tell sin would be impressive to watch if he would have stayed with what he was actually taught.
    and this is one huge problem with shaolin do. people learn a whole "style" in a very short time and then teach it with their limited understanding of it. each time it gets ****her and ****her away from the source.
    i think sin the is and has been in incredible physical condition and can do many things i will never be able to do but that does not change what i perceive from seeing these videos and seeing him in person

The Pakua video was too short. I learned it before his body building mullet stage. Seems the bodybuilding made him more rigid.
    the important part of the pakuastuff i wanted to illustrate is his single palm change which is a basic and fundamental part of pakua which i think he is missing. what i mean by single palm change is the turn when he changes directions.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter