View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 985 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 48588593597598398498598698799510351085 ... LastLast
Results 14,761 to 14,775 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

i have met and trained with several people who train "shaolin do" who have built a decent understanding of lets use tai chi chuan for an example but these people are not doing what sin the or bill leonard teach. i appreciate many things about my experience in atlanta learning the internal side of the system but i did have to reach outside of the system to expand my understanding.

one of the things that attracted me to the classes at the csc atlanta is it was the only school in atlanta at the time that i found people sparring and practicing tai chi chuan applications.
    to this day i do think gary grooms taught me good tai chi chuan and am glad to have had him as a teacher. i just wish i did not have to endure all of the stories, mysteries, misinformation and lies involved with the system.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    its just with the internet, its easy to research something, someone, or some style. do some work on it before just choosing so fast.
    Sure, but not when I started this journey in 1989. Plus my first teacher didn't talk much about lineage or history. We just trained hard and fought hard. I was happy with that. You can look at the history of my posts on this forum and see the evolution of my thought on the lineage and my affirmation of what is good about SD by my actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Sure, but not when I started this journey in 1989. Plus my first teacher didn't talk much about lineage or history. We just trained hard and fought hard. I was happy with that. You can look at the history of my posts on this forum and see the evolution of my thought on the lineage and my affirmation of what is good about SD by my actions.
    If you're good, I can give you a broom and you'll eventually be able to slay legions with it.

Nobody is faulting you, man.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

As I understand it DO is also Southern Chinese, Do ,dao, tao!?

Funny

You have issue with me now!? You can save your holier than all kung fu attitude for someone else. How about "Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do!? Wasnt he chinese with achinese background in martial arts?! As I understand it DO is Dao/ Tao that's the translation

Just curious if any one knows anything on these two systems,

shaolin karate do (not shaolin do, its some where out of the U. S.)

shaolin do norte
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    You have issue with me now!? You can save your holier than all kung fu attitude for someone else. How about "Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do!? Wasnt he chinese with achinese background in martial arts?! As I understand it DO is Dao/ Tao that's the translation
    Talk about paper thin skin.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    Just curious if any one knows anything on these two systems,

shaolin karate do (not shaolin do, its some where out of the U. S.)

shaolin do norte
    Dunno about the first one.

The second one is Buk Siu Lum from Chan Kwok Wai. Shaolin do norte is Brazilian Portugese for "Northern Shaolin".
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Talk about paper thin skin.
    What I cant respond to what the man said?

Talk about internet troll.

This isnt the first time, you have a problem with me, Drake?

I mean really, you've trolled me like three times?
    who the hell are you anyway? the green red orange yellow troll?

Also, you said I should ask about your background and training in a pm then you bounced, wtf? until you can answer that your just a troll to me.

What I cant respond to what the man said?

Talk about internet troll.

This isnt the first time, you have a problem with me, Drake?

I mean really, you've trolled me like three times?
    who the hell are you anyway? the green red orange yellow troll?

Also, you said I should ask about your background and training in a pm then you bounced, wtf? until you can answer that your just a troll to me.
    What in the hell are you talking about?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    anyone else? JKD is modern.

holier than all kung fu? nah, i am HOLIER than fake gung fu with false teachings and history. shoot for that fact, many on this forum are holier than shaolin do. hahahahahahaha
    So what? you asked for an example ... now you have two...we can keep going.

there are exception to every rule , as you have found out for yourself.

I have seen / heard chinese , english , spanish and japanese terminology used in kung fu classes and on websites.

I mean if you live in a country that speaks lets say spanish and you have your kung fu website in chinese , you will be hard pressed to get anyone other that chinese. and in a population that speaks spanish there probably wont be that many chinese people....

Basically you use whatever terminology you need to convey the thought or idea.

the name is just a label, but I see where in this instance the name does bleed into the practice of the art.

SD is a hybrid art of chinese , japanese and indonesian decent. period

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What in the hell are you talking about?
    oh so sorry my mistake, wrong troll.

i would love to have sin the tell us where he learned chen tai chi chuan and hsing i as it is shown in these clips. http://www.youtube.com/user/shaolind...l?feature=mhee

what do the old time shaolin do people have to say about these versions of chen tai chi chuan and hsing i? do they still claim that the reason ALL other tai chi chuan looks so different is that everyone else is doing post communist sport wushu? sin the has said he "mastered" this. what does he mean by that?
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

oh so sorry my mistake, wrong troll.
    By that, you mean wrong manic episode?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    ... But it [SD] needs to be labeled for what it is: a patch-work system that is a blend of kung tao, karate and kung fu that is it's own animal. ...

SD is a hybrid art of chinese , japanese and indonesian decent. period
    I've seen it mentioned in this thread a couple times that SD is a blend of some kind of japanese style/karate. Just out of curiosity, what part of the system is supposedly karate or some japanese style?

I can understand being a blend of chinese and indonesian influences but where would japanese influence have come in? And, since those with a karate background have actually said it looks nothing like karate, which specific form or other thing is supposedly from karate influence?

@ brucereiter: Re: Your post a few posts back. I am planning to look through the videos and respond when I get some more time.