View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 988 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 48888893897898698798898999099810381088 ... LastLast
Results 14,806 to 14,820 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

"New Approach Chinese Kung Fu Training Methods a Complete Course"
    ISBN for the complete set is 962 07 1046 0.

http://youtu.be/xn2bCmsOejk

was this hsing i style learned by sin the from book #2 of the above referenced books or was it learned as sin kwang the claims from the "fukien" shaolin temple by su kong tai jin then taught to ie chang ming then taught to to sin kwang the.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    these books were published in 1984

The ISBN for the complete set is 962 07 1046 0.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Approach-K...rds=9620710460

There are 3 books in the set.
    the set of books contain 20 forms

it is very probable that Sin The used the following forms from these 3 books.

Book 1
    has 3 forms including the Spear vs. Broadsword set.

Book 2
    9 forms - Sin The has taught 5 of them.
    Long Fist
    Modern Hua
    tai chi 24 Form
    Tiger Crane
    Hsing I Roads Linkage and Animals

Book 3 has 8 forms Sin The has taught 2 of them
    Twin Doubles chain whip
    9 Section Chain Whip.

what do you think? could sin the have taught from these 3 books what he claimed he learned from ie chang ming?

there are only 2 available on amazon and they are expensive ... i wonder what sin the and bill leonard would have to say about this question of mine?
    sin the is in incredible shape and it appears he can hit very hard and has some actual martial skills. it is too bad he dug himself in so deep with lies, omissions, partial truths and plain old bull****.
    I found them much cheaper here:
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...sts=t&x=31&y=7

I used to own these books many years ago. I bought them in China in about 1990. I remember they were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingCrane View Post
    I found them much cheaper here:
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...sts=t&x=31&y=7

I used to own these books many years ago. I bought them in China in about 1990. I remember they were pretty good.
    Cool. Thanks. I ordered them.... Now we will see if it is true or not.... This is all through 3 bb material . I will know immediately if they are the same forms. Btw ....if anyone want copies of certain forms I will be happy to make a copy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    check out this karate form....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfvq89VQR54

and.................

10,000 bees? lol really?
    Wow!!! That was a black belt? That was some shameful sh1t for a black belt.

or maybe he just slowed it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down so we can all admire his technique without the tracers. Yeah, that must be it

All that would totally work. I hope women aren't taking chances down dark alleys because of some confidence from this sh1t.

Doing that for real will get you boot stomped by anyone bigger or street conditioned, let alone a real fighter. Heaven forbid one of these guys beaks off to a real fighter.

there are only 2 available on amazon and they are expensive ... i wonder what sin the and bill leonard would have to say about this question of mine?
    sin the is in incredible shape and it appears he can hit very hard and has some actual martial skills. it is too bad he dug himself in so deep with lies, omissions, partial truths and plain old bull****.
    He should have come out from the very start by saying he wanted to make a hybrid of a few styles he "learned". That way at least it wouldn't have been a total lie. So many people want to tie themselves to the commercial potential of the fighting monk stories. People watch shaw bros movies and say "I wanna learn Shaolin" so some rat like Sin The comes along and exploits stupid white people who all wanted to believe the stories. It would have been easy to expose the lies had anyone done any independent research. It took years for it to come out because the students wanted to believe that they had found something special. They got robbed because their desire to be involved in Shaolin took precedence over their common sense and never looked beyond what they were told. And then there are the "walk ins" and they are even worse because they just took the first class that seemed cool. NO research, nothing. "Hey, I'm going to invest years or time and money and I'm not even going to bother to question my commitment!!!"
    That's INSANE!!! Who does that??? If you need a new doctor do you just go with the first guy that seems nice and genuine? Especially now, in the digi age. But even before, no excuse. Tons of us didn't get burned because we did the research. I came in contact with something similar in my youth. I signed up for cheap intro type classes and asked around. Between the bad reviews and my experiences in the short time there, I was gone. I should have asked around first, but I was just a kid and actually did pay like 50 bucks. As a kid I figured this out. What kind of adult gets taken that way? Surely you realize the prince from Nigeria will not be sending you a check for your assistance, right???

“Nothing is so common-place as to wish to be remarkable.”

And knowing all this, some still defend it. Talk about a break from reality.

Blog Entries
    ISBN for the complete set is 962 07 1046 0.

http://youtu.be/xn2bCmsOejk

was this hsing i style learned by sin the from book #2 of the above referenced books or was it learned as sin kwang the claims from the "fukien" shaolin temple by su kong tai jin then taught to ie chang ming then taught to to sin kwang the.
    I do know for certain that hsing ie was taught prior to 1984. And the way bill Leonard is doing it is different than how I was taught. Especially his stances.

and.................

10,000 bees? lol really?
    Not sure if you meant to post a different video or if my browser is screwed up. The link above goes to a vid of a 2005 demo. A green belt and blue belt do a quick (and sloppy) first bird form then a black belt shows potential applications to that form. No mention of 10,000 bees attacking.

Karate?!?!:!

and.................

10,000 bees? lol really?
    I don't know about Karate but it is one of our forms and the whole thing is bad. The form is a blue belt form but should have been performed better by both the blue and green belts. The applications piece was bad and not just because its slow but also because it didn't present good, usable techniques. To more gently paraphrase earlier posts, those "applications" could likely get your ass handed to you.

I would like to defend it and say, "well that's not the way the form should look," and it isn't but, more and more, the SD I find on the internet is horrible. Perhaps its the smaller percentage of us that take the materials seriously and these yoyos truly are more representative of the system as a whole.

Yes but...

do you notice how i won't let go of my Karate comments? its cause if i saw KUNG FU there, i'd say it. what i see is K-A-R-A-T-E! FLAVOR - LOOK - AND FEEL. K-A-R-A-T-E!!!!

PS.....DID YOU "NOT" RECOGNIZE the k-a-r-a-t-e bow those two guys did? if its not karate, why the karate bow? were they honoring karate by doing that?

i see a major major major connection to karate moreso than kung fu. i have more than enough time under my belt to know the difference between karate and real gung fu. this is something i cannot get myself to bend around. i can't ever watch something claim to be kung fu while i'm actually seeing karate flavor right before my eyes.
    You've already shown yourself capable of being influenced by the trappings and what's worn during practice. You liked Groom's and Nance's kung fu and, while they are admittedly two of the best in the system, they are in our system.

Are you so knowlegable about all Chinese martial arts that you can assert with no doubt that that bow appears nowhere in Chinese martial arts and only in Japanese Karate? If so, you should be writing martial arts books and not forum posts.

and.................

10,000 bees? lol really?
    I like how the guy on the right waited until the guy in the middle finished fake fighting the guy on the left before fake attacking him again.

I played Double Dragon. No ******* waits like that, especially while fighting someone else.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    I don't know about Karate but it is one of our forms and the whole thing is bad. The form is a blue belt form but should have been performed better by both the blue and green belts. The applications piece was bad and not just because its slow but also because it didn't present good, usable techniques. To more gently paraphrase earlier posts, those "applications" could likely get your ass handed to you.

I would like to defend it and say, "well that's not the way the form should look," and it isn't but, more and more, the SD I find on the internet is horrible. Perhaps its the smaller percentage of us that take the materials seriously and these yoyos truly are more representative of the system as a whole.
    i would say to ignore the videos of the students. they are just doing what they were shown and having fun doing it. but pay attention to the videos of the top guys in the system. bill leonard and sin the. look at how they move. explain it. there are a few great martial artists in the system but they become great from therei own hard work not from sin the's teaching.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    You've already shown yourself capable of being influenced by the trappings and what's worn during practice. You liked Groom's and Nance's kung fu and, while they are admittedly two of the best in the system, they are in our system.

Are you so knowlegable about all Chinese martial arts that you can assert with no doubt that that bow appears nowhere in Chinese martial arts and only in Japanese Karate? If so, you should be writing martial arts books and not forum posts.
    grooms and nance do not do what sin the does. they have both changed from what sin the does.

forget about the bow. who cares about a bow look at what happens after the bow. it is not internal chinese martial arts happening after ...
    Last edited by brucereiter; 09-26-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I like how the guy on the right waited until the guy in the middle finished fake fighting the guy on the left before fake attacking him again.

I played Double Dragon. No ******* waits like that, especially while fighting someone else.
    No kidding, wow I didn't know it was a real fight!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    No kidding, wow I didn't know it was a real fight!
    Further proof that it is unrealistic to train two-man forms!

i would say to ignore the videos of the students. they are just doing what they were shown and having fun doing it. but pay attention to the videos of the top guys in the system. bill leonard and sin the. look at how they move. explain it. there are a few great martial artists in the system but they become great from therei own hard work not from sin the's teaching.
    Is it a possibility that they look the way they do because sin the learned it from an old man who was strung out in opium!? That what it looks like to me.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 09-26-2012 at 09:49 AM.