View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 99 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 49899798991001011091491995991099 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    ... and yet again we have all proven that in these forums the SD threads are the MOST POPULAR,,just look at the # of posts and the # of views by people.

Yet another reminder that quantity does not always coincide with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    So you were taught the fundamentals of 5 Elements and thier corresponding meridians and points on the body? and where the 5 fists come in to play with regards to those Meridian points? and the linkage? were you just told about them or did you study them in depth? and what about health maintainence during this training?were you taught the 8 vital points? what about the 16 point practice methods? or the 8 charatcer secrets? could you elaborate on these? and what about the Nei gong associtaed with hsing i? Hsing i is not just some fly by night system of boxing JP. it is a whole system of itself ecompassing many principles and guidilnes for its martial practice.

if you were taught all that at your Sd school then great. however it was not taught like that at the texas school.
    Well, I thought we were talking about judging one's body mechanics and comparing them to anothers based on the observation of the form. My point was that some SD schools teach body mechanics better than others. I didn't know there would be math on this quiz.

As far as the meridian points and the pathways of chi between those points (and the correspoonding effect they have on the internal organs) yes, it was discussed. I was not taught, as a part of the Hsing-Ie, per se, 16 point practice method or the 8 vital points. If so, it was not identified as such, but I often discover that what I was taught differs often in terminology but less in practice. I do find that somewhat lacking in SD instruction. It is, somewhat, a fault of mine too since I don't ask questions about the terminology as much as it's application.

I've said it here, and I'll say it again. I was taught good hsing-Ie body mechanics. I was taught chi kung, drills, and applications to the Hsing Ie. I only spent 2 years learning hsing-Ie which means my knoweldge is less than a drop in the Hsing-Ie bucket. If I stop studying SD and get the chance to learn from somebody who simply teaches Hsing-Ie or tai chi (with applications and not just hippies moving slow in a pot-induced daze) of PaKua, then I would love to focus on simply one style. And my silence on this point was coincidental. I was traveling for the last few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I have never really looked into SD history, is it of japanese heritage? The only reason I ask is the "Do" aspect. Ill post this question to Judge Pen sinse it seems he is the SD guy here.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

lol.. Pang.. do a search.. they've been "arguing" this for a long time..
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Never has so many, said so much , about so little.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

HEY limp sword or is it willow sword? How were you used I know where you came from and know your background in the arts. And other than what you have read and the fact that you got your butt kicked somewhere you only know what you read. Why so much anger WS for someone who pretends to understand the TAO you dont show it. KC

Quote Originally Posted by norther practitioner
    lol.. Pang.. do a search.. they've been "arguing" this for a long time..

Yeah, but it does make the day go by faster.....

JP, did you get that vid????
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    Yeah, but it does make the day go by faster.....

JP, did you get that vid????
    Yes, I watched it last night. Very nice. Interesting moniker for your e-mail! Congratulations, btw.

PQ, the "Do" means "the way." Yes, it's spelled the way the Americans would spell the Japanese word in English, and is possibly part of the Japanese trappings that SD took up. It is sometimes spelled "Tao" which, to my understanding, is Chinese for "the way" and, depending on the dialect, pronounced the same way.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang
    HEY limp sword or is it willow sword? How were you used I know where you came from and know your background in the arts. And other than what you have read and the fact that you got your butt kicked somewhere you only know what you read. Why so much anger WS for someone who pretends to understand the TAO you dont show it. KC
    KC, jeez man. We don't need any trolls on our side of the fence man. If your going to show support, do it constructively and leave ther personal attacks out.

i know willow sword personally and am tired of his attitude, because of his false statements and lies due to his personal deflation of his ego he tries to cut down Master Joe and SD and btw who died and made you the king , to say what "we" want kc

i know willow sword personally and am tired of his attitude, because of his false statements and lies due to his personal deflation of his ego he tries to cut down Master Joe and SD and btw who died and made you the king , to say what "we" want kc
    kwaichang, how do I politely say this...

JP's absolutely right. If you want people to positively view us and give us a favorable opinion trolling isn't going to do it. Our peers here realize there are good people inside the SD organization even if they aren't convinced of it's "validity". The last thing we need is our personal character starting to be questioned and you've started it down that slippy slope. As far at TWS or limp sword, or whatever your calling him goes, I really don't care. One day he's smiles, the next day he isn't. Maybe he's bi-polar and needs some ritalin.

-Will
    Last edited by wdl; 03-30-2005 at 09:23 AM. Reason: apologetics
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

btw who died and made you the king
    If it wasn't bad enough fighting with those on the outside.......
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

No one died and made me "king," it's just my opinion for whatever it's worth. My opinion is that there's enough negativity surrounding SD that "we" don't need to add to it by attacking people that you may know personally on an internet forum where you are posting "anonymously," but different people have different temperaments.

BTW, I think I know you, at least know of you very well, and if I'm right you are highly respected for your skills. Both inside and outside of SD.

Yo Golden Tiger, what's up? Hope you and your fam are doing well. I'm here, chillin' like a villain. However, and this is for you REM fans, you can run a carbon date test on this thread, and you will find, it's all been said before. As you well know, I have my opinions about SD, but I've found that a great deal of KF is promoted by sheisters. So, most of my arguments have evolved outside of why SD sucks (I already know why ; attempting to understand what makes sense in MA and what doesn't. For example, the discussion of Qi on the other page. I don't believe in hocus pocus, but I do believe that you can become more efficient on many levels by practicing qi gong. Probably the things that I will argue still, are when people give bad or dangerous advice. Things like biting as a good method to defeat a grappler, trying to convince the masses that sinking into a horse stance will prevent a takedown, etc.

Just out of general interest, I emailed tws after his defeat, and I think he's sincere in his criticism of SD. An observation: the "fables" created by many SD peeps are aggravating in the same way your least favorite politician blatantly spins bs to advance his/her position. I'll say one disparaging thing for fun...Kuaichang is the guy found at every SD dojo, who has the tattered black belt, and engages in every lower belt sparring session to show how tough and mean he is. Oh, how the rest of the world laughs at you and your ego, Kuai.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

See, it's like a train wreck. Better than Days of Our Lives, more catfighting.