View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 991 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 491891941981989990991992993100110411091 ... LastLast
Results 14,851 to 14,865 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

totally unhelpful

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Awww. Cry a river sometime.

For about 10 years before you showed up, SD people were vehement that everything Sin The' said was absolute truth and acted high and mighty about it. Even some of the more, shall we say...humbled... people in this thread were at one time foaming at the mouth about SD's authenticity.

So shut the f@ck up and take your come uppence.
    How the hell do you impute the claims of all SD people for the last ten years to this guy. Get a grip dude. You're abrasive and a non-contributer, which is too bad because you seem to have a brain when you're not acting like a douchebag.

I said on another board that you have to like trolls to like this board. Heck some of the biggest trolls here are mods.

For about 10 years before you showed up, SD people were vehement that everything Sin The' said was absolute truth and acted high and mighty about it. Even some of the more, shall we say...humbled... people in this thread were at one time foaming at the mouth about SD's authenticity.

Wow! you are a total D..... bag!

I'm curious about how Masterkiller feels about this thread.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Not sure if you meant to post a different video or if my browser is screwed up. The link above goes to a vid of a 2005 demo. A green belt and blue belt do a quick (and sloppy) first bird form then a black belt shows potential applications to that form. No mention of 10,000 bees attacking.
    His belt may have been black, but that was no black belt from anything resembling an effective or credible system. If you give BB's away to people of that level, you are a joke. Period.

I'm sorry, it's harsh, but why dance around it.

The guy was shameful. And if he isn't typical, show me somebody who is. And give me a valid reason why somebody gave this guy a BB based on his skills???
    And if it was a rogue cash grabbing sifu, why did the other teachers not band together and eliminate this shameful example??? Surely they see it and realize their own students would see this. If I was a teacher there, I would be embarrassed and ashamed. If I really did believe in the style I would defend it by reigning in this type of thing.

BB's are to be earned, not bought.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Agreed. What's more is that there are thousands of people working out everyday getting healthier , making friendships and supporting the community. Which is way more important than whether its Kung fu, karate, Chinese,or Japanese . Get a clue people.
    Why not put your time and money into a style that isn't highly suspect in every way shape and form? Tai-Bo can help you get fit and even teach you some very rudimentary technique, but even tho it could help in a fight against a half assed opponent it's still not self defense. It doesn't matter how good you get at some forms, they will only take you so far in self defense. Even if you spend 30 years doing one form perfect, you're still bound by the limited potential of the form itself. No matter how good you get at it.

You can look real good, but it doesn't mean you have as much of an advantage as advertised in a real combat scenario. I cringe at the thought of people taking chances based on confidence in martial ability from a strip mall style. It's fukcing criminal. If you could punch people out in court, it would be so easy to prove. Unfortunately it won't happen until some cat gets hurt, bad, and somebody makes the connection. They would have a legitimate case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    Further proof that it is unrealistic to train two-man forms!
    Now now, you don't mean that...

Two man forms are very important and can be quite realistic. Even at full speed with real intent.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    ****, idk. LOL. I've been putting most of my focus these days on losing weight, getting back to my own gung fu practice, and still working on my book. i could have been under a rock........somewhere.

what i care about most however about SD, is the fact that they are still practicing our 5 animal form. they need to know about its true history. and thats it.

i have no other real interest in SD other than that.
    Awesome. When do you think the book will be done?

I don't have any issue with SD specifically. I just think that styles that are taught and marketed as effective and actually don't work are wrong. Just wrong. Buyer beware, I know I know. If it was a sh1tty product like a radio that breaks after a week, I wouldn't care. That's on the consumer. The problem here is that it actually puts people in danger. A false sense of confidence can be deadly bad. In some cases, you are better off not training at all. Your instincts and will to live are more effective than what I've seen in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I don't have any issue with SD specifically. I just think that styles that are taught and marketed as effective and actually don't work are wrong. Just wrong. Buyer beware, I know I know. If it was a sh1tty product like a radio that breaks after a week, I wouldn't care. That's on the consumer. The problem here is that it actually puts people in danger. A false sense of confidence can be deadly bad. In some cases, you are better off not training at all. Your instincts and will to live are more effective than what I've seen in this thread.
    The general consensus on this thread has not been that SD doesn't work. In fact, there are a lot of folks who admit SD has good fighters and others who have used their techniques in real-life self defense situations.

And that's where the circular arguments come in. People say a system is no good if it breeds sh!tty fighters. Then they admit SD has decent fighters but that it's due to some innate ability, not the system. Repeat ad nauseum.

Thanks MK, you're such a great mod with all your insight and thought-provoking posts I was wondering when I'd get a "stfu n00b" from you...too bad I didn't get that pretty picture you're so fond of.

My point was obviously lost on you. My point was pretty much "ok, come-uppence taken (whatever that's supposed to mean)! Now for those interested in SD let's actually discuss the style's principle and technique which is why most of the SD people came to this thread in the first place."

Blog Entries

Opium addict

Someone asked about a reference to Ie Chang Ming being an opium addict.
    From Karate, techniques of self defense, "The deaths of the eleven soldiers haunted his dreams, and he became a drunkard and opium addict for the next 20 years. Finally he met an old colleague from china who helped him straighten himself out, and he began teaching the martial arts in Bandung." by sin the'

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    The general consensus on this thread has not been that SD doesn't work. In fact, there are a lot of folks who admit SD has good fighters and others who have used their techniques in real-life self defense situations.

And that's where the circular arguments come in. People say a system is no good if it breeds sh!tty fighters. Then they admit SD has decent fighters but that it's due to some innate ability, not the system. Repeat ad nauseum.
    Would it be too much to ask for evidence? Surely if there are actually good SD fighters there is evidence of this? yeah? Throw em up. Forms demo is cool, a semi/full contact competition would be better, but I'm not expecting that. Anyone ever enter a TKD or Kyokushin tourney or anything? Maybe a boxing match? Kick boxing? anything? But a great forms demo would help, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    im in the process of cleaning it up
    which means? anytime between now and whenever? lol

youve been at it for like 5 years, no? i'll order one online when ur done. i don't mind going thru u specifically so you dont have to hand amazon a cut, i trust ya. I'll money order yo as$!!!

I'm mostly interested in the academics. History, lineage etc. I can learn CLF in Vancouver. There's a decent Hung Sing school here. But the history interests me.]

If you wanna be a good writer my only advice is this: READ/ Read, read, then read some more. Soak it in. Don't just read the words, look at how they are strung together. It will help. Dry writers only sell to academics.
    Last edited by Syn7; 09-28-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Would it be too much to ask for evidence? Surely if there are actually good SD fighters there is evidence of this? yeah? Throw em up. Forms demo is cool, a semi/full contact competition would be better, but I'm not expecting that. Anyone ever enter a TKD or Kyokushin tourney or anything? Maybe a boxing match? Kick boxing? anything? But a great forms demo would help, for sure.
    Yes, I entered a couple of reginal open-style tournaments, one sponsored by Oso in 2006, and placed third in advanced sparring. Many good fighters there, mainly one trained by yu shan in Nashville, that was a beast. This has been discussed at this forum before. I'm not a natural athlete. I don't mind contact as long as I can give it back, but I'm sure that SD, for whatever it is, made my a better fighter and would serve me better than "just my natural instincts."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP has some skill. He's a good guy. I've sparred him and watched him spar his ass off in a moderate contact tournament, fighting 6 or 7 fights (max 3, 2 min rounds as usual) but in something like just a 2 hour span of time. Irrelevent of the source, he's no slouch.
    See this quote. As I said earlier, there was a complete thread about the SACMAT tournament in 2006 that discusses my participation.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.