View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 992 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 492892942982990991992993994100210421092 ... LastLast
Results 14,866 to 14,880 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Here are a couple of more quotes from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post

I posted about Judge Pen on the "Shaolin Do thread", but will expand here. I knew JP would be at the tournament, and looked forward to seeing him again. JP is a focused practitioner. I officiated forms and fighting at this tourney. I had the pleasure to "judge" Judge Pen. His empty hand form was long and difficult, I thought he did well. His Kwando form was pretty darn nice, I scored him high. JP really impressed me with his fighting. This man is a stud in the ring, he has combat skills. My folks spoke of him over beers that night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I want to expand on Yu Shan's student, Frank. The man is a warrior. I fought him twice. The first time I felt very fortunate to get out with a victory. I knew I had been in a scrape after squaring off with him. When I met him again . . . . well he owned me the second time. His endurance and conditioning is amazing and he was the most deceptively fast fighter I faced that night. He is a class act and I can't wait to cross hands with him again. He has my utmost respect.

I attribute several of my scrapes, bruises and all around soreness to my two matches with him. No disrepect to the guy that won, but if I were judging the matches, I would have had him winning 1st.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Yue View Post
    I had friends and family at the event and from what they told me there was a lot of audience appreciation for JP's fighting skill and endurance. Really impressive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post

Big Props to Judge Pen for fighting A LOT. I saw one of the best hand combinations I've ever seen in a sparring match...and it landed. Also, he landed a round house kick from a seemingly impossible position. But, beyond anything else he demonstrated a high level of endurance and a willingness to fight. A credit to Shoalin Do.

Also, his fiance' IS hot. so, he's not BS'ing us there.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The videos are no longer up, but here is an entire thread discussing my sparring and tearing apart everything that I could have done better.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...5&highlight=JP

Say what you want, but I have no problem putting myself out there for public critique.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

What's even more so at that time was his ability to drink & cross'em up!

A bottle of 100 proof SoCo... I end up with a black eye , he gets kicked across his living room & he still out drank me that night !!! Man is a true beastie!!!
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    The general consensus on this thread has not been that SD doesn't work. In fact, there are a lot of folks who admit SD has good fighters and others who have used their techniques in real-life self defense situations.

And that's where the circular arguments come in. People say a system is no good if it breeds sh!tty fighters. Then they admit SD has decent fighters but that it's due to some innate ability, not the system. Repeat ad nauseum.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying at any given McDojo in the world, they always have that one dude who can just open a can of whoopazz on anyone, regardless of style.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    What's even more so at that time was his ability to drink & cross'em up!

A bottle of 100 proof SoCo... I end up with a black eye , he gets kicked across his living room & he still out drank me that night !!! Man is a true beastie!!!
    Good times. I don't train my drunken style as much as I used to either. You might be able to take me with the SoCo now.

The videos are no longer up, but here is an entire thread discussing my sparring and tearing apart everything that I could have done better.

Say what you want, but I have no problem putting myself out there for public critique.
    Do you think you could repost the videos? I'd be interested to see those matches...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying at any given McDojo in the world, they always have that one dude who can just open a can of whoopazz on anyone, regardless of style.
    I was responding to Syn7 but I get your point.

For a system as large as SD, we do owe a lot more examples of guys who have won in open competition. There is good sparring I've seen at the SD tournaments but that doesn't get much credibility since it's not open style. I agree that there should be more SD folks mixing it up outside the style.

Also, at least here in Ohio, there's never been any resistance from instructors to participating in tournaments, open or otherwise.

Do your own research

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Would it be too much to ask for evidence? Surely if there are actually good SD fighters there is evidence of this? yeah? Throw em up. Forms demo is cool, a semi/full contact competition would be better, but I'm not expecting that. Anyone ever enter a TKD or Kyokushin tourney or anything? Maybe a boxing match? Kick boxing? anything? But a great forms demo would help, for sure.
    There's a link somwhere on this thread of an SD dude competing in an amateur MMA event and winning.

Yes but

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    If I'm understanding JP correctly, he's not claiming to be that person.

A couple of folks from my qwoon participated in the Wong People tournament in Washington DC three years ago. One took 2nd in open sparring. I wasn't at the tournament and can't speak to the skill of the fighters there or the level of contact.

It would be good for us to engage in more open contacts. I think its another bad sign that some SD schools discourage this.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Do you think you could repost the videos? I'd be interested to see those matches...
    I'll see if I can. I have them burned to a disc somewhere.

Blog Entries

What was the form you did?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    What was the form you did?
    FIVE ANIMAL FORM

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    a non-contributer.
    Non-contributor?

I posted THE ONLY PHOTOGRAPHS of Ie Ching Ming any of you crybabies have ever seen.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

974 pages! Of what?

The aholin do folks should have their own chat site somewhere else-??

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Non-contributor?

I posted THE ONLY PHOTOGRAPHS of Ie Ching Ming any of you crybabies have ever seen.
    Those were neat photos, but did we ever verify them?

"Crybabies?" Been sleeping on the couch again?