View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 995 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 495895945985993994995996997100510451095 ... LastLast
Results 14,911 to 14,925 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    uh i was talking about the two guys behind the camera talking. don't need to read lips to listen with my ears. just sayin

My first impression after hearing these two talk was they "SOUNDED" like they were insinuating that whoever was on stage was not up to "SHAOLIN DO" standards. This i find extremely hillarious because i liked the real Chinese Gung Fu china was presenting. it was the Shaolin Do stuff that i actually had the toughest time dealling with. after watching that, my convictions that shaolin do may claim they are performing kung fu moves, but it is done with KARATE style.

My first reaction in regards to this was "how dare these people go to the mother land then insinuate they were somehow better".
    Gotcha, I watched it with the sound down low and didn't hear that. If the SD guys were saying that, then those guys were royal *******s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

at least you got what im saying now. its guys like that and their AMERICAN attitude that wouldn't be allowed to learn gung fu. or shouldn't for that matter. i'm a firm believer about leaving your ethnicity at the door when you learn something from another culture.

it was funny to hear them patronizing the chinese with their BRAVO BRAVO (we gotta make feel good) ...
    I agree. That was really close-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    I hate to say it but i think i know a few guys on the one video, myself and sean,,, but i am not saying which one i am because it was a long trip and i was dead by that point , or my form just sucks anyways...lol , but i enjoyed the trip, hay sean got any peanut butter?
    Nope... no PB but I do have beef jerky.

My form sucks. I never have performed well. It's not in me. I'm pretty ok at application, I just don't do well for crowds.

Maybe why my time as a guitar player in a band here wasn't so good. I was great a practice & writing... just had performance issues.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

i know the feeling, i love to play with apps and dig into a form,, even if all my forms are made up or stolen.lol.. but i am still at it 27 years, i simply enjoy what i am doing
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

"Those guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Gotcha, I watched it with the sound down low and didn't hear that. If the SD guys were saying that, then those guys were royal *******s.

No doubt a lot of people who have never done anything other than SD, and think it is all there is, and have not exposed themselves to other practitioners of the same material from outside SD, may speak not from malice but from ignorance. Many view and participate in SD more as a social club sometimes. Nothing wrong with that if that is what they are looking for, but they might be looking for something they are used to seeing, not knowing that is not what they are looking at.

And I guess one could say that about a lot of schools. "A lot of people who have never done anything other than [insert school], and think it is all there is, and have not exposed themselves to other practitioners of the same material from outside [insert school], may speak not from malice, but from ignorance."

Then again, they could just be dumb***es.
    Last edited by One student; 09-30-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Martial valor

Mo Duk.....the only time i want MO DuK is at a banquet! LOL
    Mo duk, wu de, bushido, by whatever name it is known:

"The way of a warrior is based on humanity, love and sincerity. The heart of martial valor is true bravery, wisdom, love, and friendship."

from Marihei Ushiba, founder of Aikido (or so I've been told).

Few can do it all, all of the time. All can strive for some, most of the time.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    Mo duk, wu de, bushido, by whatever name it is known:

"The way of a warrior is based on humanity, love and sincerity. The heart of martial valor is true bravery, wisdom, love, and friendship."

from Marihei Ushiba, founder of Aikido (or so I've been told).

Few can do it all, all of the time. All can strive for some, most of the time.
    Yes, I think this is Morehei Ueshiba's interpretation of bushido later in life. He wasn't always so 'budo is about peace and love'. When he was younger, he used to go around breaking people.

I think Wude and Bushido are different, though related, things.

what you steal, borrow, or take stuff for yourself, your own individual path, then i don't care what someone does as long as they don't make false claims about it.

if you stole something, and admitted it but demonstrated that you were pretty **** good with it i do believe you'd get some praises for making it work.
    Yeah, but no matter how good they get at the stolen material, you can't blame the owners for being annoyed.If the owner chooses to praise the effort then that just shows the owner has very high integrity, doesn't change the fact that the material was ill gotten.

Do you believe shrimp boy?
    Last edited by Syn7; 09-30-2012 at 05:55 PM.

49ers kicked @$$ today against the seagulls. Haha should have known you were a division rival. cardinals are 4-0 B!tches!

Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
    Yes, I think this is Morehei Ueshiba's interpretation of bushido later in life. He wasn't always so 'budo is about peace and love'. When he was younger, he used to go around breaking people.

I think Wude and Bushido are different, though related, things.
    Ueshiba got old and his balls shriveled away. That's why his prewar teachings were awesome but what came after was flowery and most of the students from that time period ended up teaching nonsense.

All I can say is Yoshinkan!!

I'm an officer of his tong bro. yes i do. i work very close with him.

so, from the inside, i will vouch for him that he is truly turning over a new leaf and has been getting hella awards for his efforts to change his past as of late.
    Yeah it annoyed me that they are like "you sit and drink with gangsters? How can you say you have changed???"

What's he s'posed to do? Say no and end up in a ditch? Americans have a hard time understanding just how intertwined OC and regular life is for the Chinese community. And then Chinese get treated like sh1t to the point where they stick together and all the sudden this is suspect? White Americans who talk about "the greatest generation" never cease to amaze me on just how UN-worldly they really are.

And if Shrimp Boy does go back to crime, it doesn't mean that he wasn't sincere in his attempts to go straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Ueshiba got old and his balls shriveled away. That's why his prewar teachings were awesome but what came after was flowery and most of the students from that time period ended up teaching nonsense.

All I can say is Yoshinkan!!
    yeah, you really gotta wonder about those demos when he's kneeling and throwing big dudes all over the stage. He was like what? 80 pounds soaking wet at this point? His beard was half his mass. It just looked so much like those no touch frauds and the Judo cats who not only offer zero resistance, but actually throw themselves. You can see it in the hips. Looks like movie fighting, which is exactly what I described, dudes throwing themselves to make the shot look better than real life.

There is Judoka tossing men with ease, then there is nonsense. I have much respect for the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    yeah, you really gotta wonder about those demos when he's kneeling and throwing big dudes all over the stage. He was like what? 80 pounds soaking wet at this point? His beard was half his mass. It just looked so much like those no touch frauds and the Judo cats who not only offer zero resistance, but actually throw themselves. You can see it in the hips. Looks like movie fighting, which is exactly what I described, dudes throwing themselves to make the shot look better than real life.

There is Judoka tossing men with ease, then there is nonsense. I have much respect for the real deal.
    And you can see the difference in the end result of the folks he taught ore and postwar. Shioda is the best out of any aikidoka in my opinion, maybe even better than Ueshiba, but certainly better than all the other IMO. But the prewar group is hardcore training plus effective technique while the postwar group is magical ki nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Nope... no PB but I do have beef jerky.

My form sucks. I never have performed well. It's not in me. I'm pretty ok at application, I just don't do well for crowds.

Maybe why my time as a guitar player in a band here wasn't so good. I was great a practice & writing... just had performance issues.
    Yeah, some folks will never know how they fight until they actually get in a real fight. It's amazing what you can accomplish when your fight or flight instinct chooses to fight. I've seen people with little to no training do amazing things under real pressure.

It reminds me of that saying "I can run faster scared than you can mad!"
    When you truly fear for your life and you don't have the kind of mind that just shuts down and gives up, you will be surprised how well you do. Whether you win or lose. Unfortunately, performance anxiety is an indicator of one who is more likely to choose flight. And when they get caught and feel hopeless, unlike others who go nuts, they just shut down. Some turtle, some go crazy. You'll never know for sure which type you are till you experience it first hand.

Which vid are you in and which one is you?
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-01-2012 at 02:33 AM.

it was funny to hear them patronizing the chinese with their BRAVO BRAVO.

In some cases the BRAVO BRAVO was real. Like most uneducated observers, they are impressed by the flash and not the substance. They see a high aerial landing in the splits and they get so impressed, when the really impressive parts went un-noticed to the guys in the background.

It reminds me of how it was when I was competing alot as a B-Boy. You would see guys go in and do amazing footwork, insane transitions and flow like a motherfukcer and only the B-Boys are impressed cause they know how good it is. Then some twatt comes in and jumps right into a windmill with no uprock or footwork, transitions to a flare then to a 1990 back to flare and then into airflares and the crowd goes insane. The real B-Boys are like yaaay. Or the worst is when the geeks get into headspin p1ssing contests and just run to the center and jump right into a headspin and tap out for 60 or 70 rotations and the crowd goes crazy, then some cat roks out sick drillz with like 15 rotations and people are like "well the other guy spun more". So annoying, they have no idea that taps can go on indefinitely and if you can do 10, you can do 1000 rotations. Nothing special. But with drillz you have to take all your power from the get go and make it work for you without tapping or flaring out. Uneducated crowds always miss the best parts.

rant