View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 996 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 496896946986994995996997998100610461096 ... LastLast
Results 14,926 to 14,940 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    And you can see the difference in the end result of the folks he taught ore and postwar. Shioda is the best out of any aikidoka in my opinion, maybe even better than Ueshiba, but certainly better than all the other IMO. But the prewar group is hardcore training plus effective technique while the postwar group is magical ki nonsense.
    Why?

Was it a cash grab because idiots wanted to believe in garbage? Or did he start buying in to his own legend? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    NOW, this is a video of from shaolin do when they went to china. at 18:55 of this video, am i wrong in assuming the guys speaking in the background were slightly insulting the performer who far better then everyone in shaolin do....but what i heard was "ya gotta clap or something" "yeah, gotta make feel good". am i wrong in my assumption about this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqu9l...=results_video
    What he says is "Bravo." Then, "Can't clap so I gotta do something."

I'm assuming it's because he's holding the camera.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

get what you are saying i did hear all that, but maybe, just a thought, he was saying that about making them feel good because it was all kids doing the show?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Ueshiba got old and his balls shriveled away. That's why his prewar teachings were awesome but what came after was flowery and most of the students from that time period ended up teaching nonsense.

All I can say is Yoshinkan!!
    Even the Yoshinkan has "suffered" as of late, being far more "compliant" than it was.
    Ueshiba was a hard-core scrapper, much like his teacher Takeda and it was because of this fighting background that we was able to be more "spiritual" as he got older.
    Those, Like Shioda, that trained under the "younger" Ueshiba, when Aikido was more MARTIAL than "way", got the benefits from that.
    Unfortunately, lots has been lost ever since.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

you left out the next sentence. "yeah, you gotta make em feel good". That was the deal sealer FOR ME.
    First guy: Bravo.

First guy: Can't clap. Gotta do something.

Second guy: Yeah

First guy: Make em' feel good.

First guy: Good Enthusiasm

I think you're reading too much into it. He's just saying since he can't clap, he wanted to show some appreciation. That's my take on it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

you left out the next sentence. "yeah, you gotta make em feel good". That was the deal sealer FOR ME.
    Don't you think you are reading into this too much!? How do you know who it is that made the comment!?

I get where you are coming from and respect your opinion but this is getting ridiculous.

Btw ... I am planning a trip up to the bay for the 49ers cardinals game, maybe we meet, talk tcma and have a meal!?

Also , dropped in on jakes school this weekend... He was out of town. Talked to his assistant instructor , really nice guy . Watch h do a white crane conditioning class, it was pretty **** good. It was all Kung Fu and no fluff. It was good to see, the videos are just that videos. I think that most of it is just to show the SD CSC what they lost.

He still needs to knocked down a few notches , if he isn't, then he will never learn anything and then it's just kungrate.

Finally

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    First guy: Bravo.

First guy: Can't clap. Gotta do something.

First guy: Make em' feel good.

First guy: Good Enthusiasm

I think you're reading too much into it. He's just saying since he can't clap, he wanted to show some appreciation. That's my take on it.
    We agree on something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Don't you think you are reading into this too much!? How do you know who it is that made the comment!?

I get where you are coming from and respect your opinion but this is getting ridiculous.

Btw ... I am planning a trip up to the bay for the 49ers cardinals game, maybe we meet, talk tcma and have a meal!?

Also , dropped in on jakes school this weekend... He was out of town. Talked to his assistant instructor , really nice guy . Watch h do a white crane conditioning class, it was pretty **** good. It was all Kung Fu and no fluff. It was good to see, the videos are just that videos. I think that most of it is just to show the SD CSC what they lost.

He still needs to knocked down a few notches , if he isn't, then he will never learn anything and then it's just kungrate.
    What did this white crane conditioning class consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    What did this white crane conditioning class consist of?
    Basics, stretching, bag work, condtioning, etc... nothing revolutionary or new ...just good solid hard work...it was good to see. they werent all over the place teaching all this materail in a cram session.

Jakes style is all his own . He is a canadian / american who has practiced many styles from many people , this is his interpretaion of it. He is athletic and really cares about what he does and his student love him and respect him as well.

i still have to say he needs humbling and work on adding the chinese flavor to it if he wants to call it what he does...just saying

Is it practicing many styles, or just collecting many different forms? There's a big difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Basics, stretching, bag work, condtioning, etc... nothing revolutionary or new ...just good solid hard work...it was good to see. they werent all over the place teaching all this materail in a cram session.

Jakes style is all his own . He is a canadian / american who has practiced many styles from many people , this is his interpretaion of it. He is athletic and really cares about what he does and his student love him and respect him as well.

i still have to say he needs humbling and work on adding the chinese flavor to it if he wants to call it what he does...just saying
    Oh yeah? Where's he from, in Canada, that is?

So he is not humble? Like c0cky? arrogant? He didn't seem like an egomaniac on the clips I saw, he just looked like a kungarateka, that's all.

He looks like a guy who did Karate and/or TKD for years and considered himself good, then learned some CMA forms and interpreted them with his Karate/TKD theory.

You see it all the time. And a purist can spot it a mile away. And if you wanna call HSK anything, dude is a purist historian motherfukcer. It's kungarate(love that word), str8 up. I saw it on my own and the rest that HSK pointed out was obvious to me. I don't agree with everything he says, but on this one he's got it called all day. It doesn't really have anything to do with whether it would work or not. Personally, I haven't seen much that I think would work well, but that's me.

Anyone who was brought up with a pure CMA style will see it. I know SD cats have been on the defense for ever, that should speak volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Is it practicing many styles, or just collecting many different forms? There's a big difference between the two.
    Form collecting can be okay if you stay within your sphere, know what I mean? You will interpret the movements with the knowledge you have from your own style, so if you collect forms from similar styles and use them your own way, that's cool. What's crazy is taking forms from all over the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Form collecting can be okay if you stay within your sphere, know what I mean? You will interpret the movements with the knowledge you have from your own style, so if you collect forms from similar styles and use them your own way, that's cool. What's crazy is taking forms from all over the map.
    Although.... Sometimes taking something from another system is a big help. For example when I did aikido back in highschool and was having difficulty with some of the concepts or movements I'd drill movements from judo, tai chi, bagua, and hsing yi. Heck I probably did things very wrong from the standpoint of those arts but it served its purpose and I got over my rut in really getting certain concepts and movements down.

http://www.shaolingrandmaster.com/biography.html

there are a lot of discrepancies between what is stated on sin the's website and what is said in the deposition.

when did ie chang ming make sin the a 10th degree grandmaster? he says it was when he was 25 on the website but in the deposition he says it was when he was in indonesia. he left indonesia at age 22 according to the website.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    http://www.shaolingrandmaster.com/biography.html

there are a lot of discrepancies between what is stated on sin the's website and what is said in the deposition.

when did ie chang ming make sin the a 10th degree grandmaster? he says it was when he was 25 on the website but in the deposition he says it was when he was in indonesia. he left indonesia at age 22 according to the website.
    10th degree grandmaster??? That is just insulting to people who are ranked more realistically. Most of the higher titles are honorary and I have NEVER heard of a legit 10th level "grandmaster", whatever grandmaster means. To me it simply means you have masters under you, teaching. Like a grandfather. Doesn't mean you're any good tho. I've seen tons of garbage "grandmasters". It's on the school to keep their rankings legit and realistic. Unfortunately some get right carried away with these titles that mean nothing.

I've seen a few Sin The vids and I a, yet to be impressed. Not even a little bit. I would love to see him jump in the cage or do some kyokushin tourneys or something.