View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 997 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 497897947987995996997998999100710471097 ... LastLast
Results 14,941 to 14,955 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    http://www.shaolingrandmaster.com/biography.html

there are a lot of discrepancies between what is stated on sin the's website and what is said in the deposition.

when did ie chang ming make sin the a 10th degree grandmaster? he says it was when he was 25 on the website but in the deposition he says it was when he was in indonesia. he left indonesia at age 22 according to the website.
    My understanding is he went back to Indonesia to visit but was living in the US.

come on

Surely you jest , I have known people who were 5th degree TKD Masters who went to Korea and came back a month later a 7th deg. Its across the board. BTWE Sin The is 65 I think or so so he wil not be doing Kyokushin kai tourneys. KC Just silly!!
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Surely you jest , I have known people who were 5th degree TKD Masters who went to Korea and came back a month later a 7th deg. Its across the board. BTWE Sin The is 65 I think or so so he wil not be doing Kyokushin kai tourneys. KC Just silly!!
    5th to 7th?? Not a big jump. They'll do that here in the US every couple of years. The Kukkiwon will have these big, long weekend seminars & literally you can go from 4th to 6th degree in a weekend.

What's worse though... I've known (personally) 1st degrees leaving unnamed countries in Asia & landing 12+ hours or more in the US as 5th degrees (Masters)with more events titles under their belt that could truly be possible since that would mean almost everybody that competed at said event left as the Grand Champion. But that all goes back to "Don't pee in MY Fruity Pebbles & I won't pee in YOURS".
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Focusing on how many degrees of black belt there are is another superficial attack.

If a style has 4 degrees of black but it takes 40 years of dedication/training to achieve 4th black, how is that any different from a style that has 10 degrees of black if it also takes 40 years of dedication/training to achieve?

How the regimen is segmented is up to the style and is, as KC pointed out, different across the board.

Weren't the skill levels in ancient times simply broken down into Apprentice, Disciple, Master, and Grandmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Focusing on how many degrees of black belt there are is another superficial attack.

If a style has 4 degrees of black but it takes 40 years of dedication/training to achieve 4th black, how is that any different from a style that has 10 degrees of black if it also takes 40 years of dedication/training to achieve?

How the regimen is segmented is up to the style and is, as KC pointed out, different across the board.

Weren't the skill levels in ancient times simply broken down into Apprentice, Disciple, Master, and Grandmaster?
    Actually... at my teacher's, there was only teacher and student. You knew who you were. Didn't need titles except for Sifu for one person. Actually... pretty much everybody I have trained with for the past little while has been that way. No need for anything else.
    Last edited by sean_stonehart; 10-03-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

What? Korea has no frauds? Or people who rank less realistically than the norm? I would love to see a competition for 7th degree BB.

Also, BB is not the same as Grandmaster.

Oh ok so his titles are honorary then. Just an organ enlargement huh.

I'm ok with honorary titles. Just don't make them skill titles. Call them grand dragon moon surfers for all I care, just don't hand out un-earned stripes. And the only way to get another stripe is to physically EARN it. If you are too old, you are too old. All titles become honorary after what was actually earned. Earned REALISTICALLY, that is.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-03-2012 at 02:39 PM.

I'm a Grand Dragon Moon Surfer. I earned that title.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'm a Grand Dragon Moon Surfer. I earned that title.
    Funny I am too, but it was given to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Funny I am too, but it was given to me.
    Dude, you are so not the real deal like I am. I challenge you to a Dragon Moon Surfing contest.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i believe at one time the ATA had it to were if you had tought set number of students or had set number of students, something like that, that you couldn't advance into various levels of upper black ranks.

i always thought that grandmaster was kind of the one highest person or acting overseer of a system or art.....
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Grandmaster is just the gwailo term for sigung. Just because you have students doesn't mean you know what you're doing. And a guy with 40 students isn't necessarily better or worse than a guy with 4 students.

Again, Grandmaster does not mean BB. It's an honorary title of respect. Not much different than the normal family dynamic. Grampa gets maad respect cause he's old and wise. Doesn't really have much to do with skill. It's just assumed that if you respect your style that the sigung would be worth his salt. Or was.

Recently you see people meshing those terms into rankings, but that is built off the original misunderstanding. Chinese didn't rank that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Dude, you are so not the real deal like I am. I challenge you to a Dragon Moon Surfing contest.
    Excuse me? I don't recall you asking permission to go public? Shush!!! When the revolution comes we will make ourselves known. Besides, your just a master dragon moon surfer, not a GRAND dragon moon surfer. When you graduate we'll hook you up with the real footwork! Lucky for you, ninja werewolves move thru the program much faster than most.

Kids

Your school is fake. They got all their forms from our books and they don't even wear the right uniforms. Those are Comet Sufer Gi's, not Moon surfer silks.

Posuer!

whatever, comet surfer. You can't handle the moon.

Our oral tradition is law! They do not evelove over the years like yours do!