View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1011 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 11511911961100110091010101110121013102110611111 ... LastLast
Results 15,151 to 15,165 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

The people have spoken.

I am unlocking the thread and merging now. That's going to make this thread a little confusing, so for the record, this thread was closed just prior to the Closing an icon thread was posted. Later, the poll emerged in the What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread thread. Then both threads wove together like a Qing dynasty queue.

As strange as it sounds, I must salute the IS-Dfr? thread. They have crawled through the gauntlet, and we've all hit them as hard as we could with our belts. They've earned their place as the fattest thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    I just got off the phone with my sifu and we both agreed on something in regards to our 5 Animal Form. Lau Bun most likely choy lee Fut-itized this form from its original Northern elements since he was strictly a southern gung fu guy all of his life. Sifu said we don't know what it originally looked like as lau bun was taught it. so over the years if it had any northern flavor it doesn't anymore its CLF now.

we also talked about how Si Mo Yuen was already an elderly woman she may have just walked lau bun through the form. and since lau bun was pro southern style he just practiced it with the same hung sing flavor as his hung sing CLF.

still, people wont' be able to find another form with the exact same sequences from another school or system. the framework of this form is very distinct and even when like jakes videos the form is modified, we can tell where and how.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by buddajoe View Post
    This is a reply that is constructive and slightly long-winded and not succinct.
    I am sure that some students traded or exchanged and perhaps even sold the five animal set. In this particular case I rather believe that the five animal was taken from my younger uncle’s book. One must understand that the book was not instructional but only informational. The book is full of photographic errors giving readers a slightly skewed view of the set unintentionally. Photographs by their nature are limited and can only show final positions and very little transitional movement. This is a key to understand and master this particular set.
    In this day and age many people think that knowledge is available for free. Well go ahead and you will find that your journey will be void of true martial art skill. I must admit that if you practice the five animal set from any source you will feel great because even practicing the shell of the form has its benefits but understand clearly you will never reap the proper benefits of this form without true instruction.
    I learned under Jew Sifu and have trained the five animal internal form for many years and can say it is truly a wonder I consider U-Ming to be one of the jewels of the CLF, HUNG SING style originating from Professor Lau Bun.
    what parts, if any, are correct or incorrect in this.....? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Animals

Now that it's official, I'd like to say, ... uh, what was I going to say? Oh yeah, ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVzw8S8IeEA
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.

3 to go

.....this is some funny @$$ Sh!t.

wiki/five animals

I have never given a thought about each individual animal nor that type of history. I can say with pride that I have not idea. Those type of studies are best suited for a monastery and not for secular life but people persist and sometimes go through psychotic episodes. Our school has never been monastic in nature. Rather our school believes in results. My sifu always said knowing history will win no battles.(he never understood the internet) U-Ming is taught to develop internal power and physical strength.

Blog Entries
    empty cup,

from 302 down to 268 so far.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by buddajoe View Post
    I have never given a thought about each individual animal nor that type of history. I can say with pride that I have not idea. Those type of studies are best suited for a monastery and not for secular life but people persist and sometimes go through psychotic episodes. Our school has never been monastic in nature. Rather our school believes in results. My sifu always said knowing history will win no battles.(he never understood the internet) U-Ming is taught to develop internal power and physical strength.
    Sounds like you're talking about the 5 animal qigong set. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by palmstriker View Post
    now that it's official, i'd like to say, ... Uh, what was i going to say? Oh yeah, ... :d http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvzw8s8ieea
    'merica....

Sparring Technique #2

So in class tonight we went through introductory sparring techniques. I explored ST #2 as a defensive grab/pull into the kick. What application do other SD'ers normally use for #2?

997??? WHAT? All that crap couldn't get us over the hump?

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    So in class tonight we went through introductory sparring techniques. I explored ST #2 as a defensive grab/pull into the kick. What application do other SD'ers normally use for #2?
    actually that one is probably the best for #2. did you try it in a two person drill?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    actually that one is probably the best for #2. did you try it in a two person drill?
    If by drill you mean demonstrating on one of the students, then yes

What was really interesting is that when drilling, you end up pulling the shirt/gi so it solves the problem of having legs longer than your arms. Makes the the kicking distance perfect.

i used to wonder why shaolin do would do this. then i realized its the same reason white people attach electrodes to their genitals.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    If by drill you mean demonstrating on one of the students, then yes

What was really interesting is that when drilling, you end up pulling the shirt/gi so it solves the problem of having legs longer than your arms. Makes the the kicking distance perfect.
    Well sort of.... I teach and practice like this...you can stand with either right or left side forward, back and forth in a drill formation. So, when draw back to cat stance to kick to trap/grab to punch, then the other person does it...do you understand ?