Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this school

Opinions on this school

http://www.clearsilat.com/silat/selection.htm

This is in my area. the guys has reportedly studied with some good people, but I'm skeptical of anyone who purports to teach Dim-Mak and "one touch" KOs (with a "TM" behind it.) What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I'd go there long before I'd set foot in a shaolin-do school.

You ain't got room to be skeptical of anyone.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

Fred Sanford! You ole fish-eye fool! I ought hit you with this purse!
    ( in an Aunt Esta voice) Sanford & Son TV show.
    Last edited by BM2; 09-30-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Ah Fred, I can still be skeptical of a school and still find merit in what they teach. I've heard great things about his teachers and I was thinking about visiting his school. I figured some of you guys may have worked with him at some point. He used to teach in Florida, I believe.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    JP, I think a guy here in town either trains under him or with him under deThours but I haven't seen him move so I don't know.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    awful lot of theory on this page.

http://www.clearsilat.com/silat/gallery.htm
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I dunno if he's legit or not, but look at the size of his head!.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Some of his teachers are good.

PM me.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

in the 2nd video the kids like um throw left so he does the technique, pauses and continues.... he should be able to make it work from either punch. but yeah for demo purposes its good.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 09-30-2004 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Disclaimer: The following statements do not indicate that I think this person is phony. I'm just going to go over some things that raise my eyebrows. I have made no conclusions from this, because I can't be bothered to care enough.

1. It always dings my phony radar when someone calls himself sigung.
    2. I'm always suspicious of claims to mastery of multiple schools.
    The site claims:
    His training includes over ten styles of Silat and Kung Fu and Systema, as well as intensive knowledge of Tai Chi and Chi Kung. His certifications include a Guru (senior teacher) level in Pentjak Silat, a Master level (Si-Gung) in internal Kung Fu, and an Instructor certification in Systema.
    My questions:
    What styles? Under whom? Master level (Si-Gung) in internal Kung Fu? Again, where and with whom?

I'd go check it out and see if I liked it. If I did, then I'd probably do more research.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

#

A guarantee of the ability to deliver a minimum of 3 hits per second sustained for a minimum of 10 seconds. (we are able to guarantee this because the # of hits usually delivered is closer to 6 hits per second.)

From here.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Houston

JP,
    Doesn't Houston have both a Traditional Shaolin School, and Southern Praying Mantis School?

I think I'd start there, or at least check them out...

they may Yum Cha, but I'm in Knoxville Tennessee. I was just curious about checking out other schools in my area.

He has over a quarter century of continuous study in the martial arts
    He doesn't look old enough. And in the lower "Suwanda and Inosanto" pic, he looks like he's about 16, yet the date is stamped 1995, so he's already been owning/teaching at his silat school for 5 years? And all the pictures have that I-just-walked-up-to-Dan-Inosanto-and-asked-him-to-take-a-picture-with-me-so-I-can-claim-him-as-my-teacher look to them.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Blog Entries
    Looks like a joke to me:

1) Teaches way to many styles of kung fu
    2) Way too young to be calling himself Si Gung (which is the Chinese equivalent of Grandfather)
    3) Claims to teach "drunken" which isn't a style its a subset of several different styles.

Maybe this kid is a good fighter but I don't think he has built the teaching credentials to the level that he claims.