Thread: Qi stronger at night?

Qi stronger at night?

When I do qigong and/or taiji at night (6-10pm) I can feel the qi really pumping as opposed to when I practice in the morning. Also, I can relax more at night. I was hypothesyzing that this was because I've been up longer and more fully awake. Why is this?
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

up there over to the right rotate and go down
    thats my experience too. always at night i feel the energy rushing through my body whenever i go through forms. i also seem to be more focused. i remember reading an article with an explanation to this but i cannot remember where i found it sorry.

maybe your body is more relaxed and sensitive in preparation for sleep?

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Perhaps it is the rising of Yin energy, making it easy to use the remaining Yang of the day. Of course I'm sure there are many, many, many things that would contribute to this sensation of more energy.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Greetings..

Even though you may physically be tired, your energy system is reved-up from the day's activities.. as the physical body tires and begins to prepare for sleep the Qi that supported it all day lags behind in its slowdown.. the reduced physical activity heightens the awareness of still active Qi.. there is about a 1/2 to 1 hour lag time between physical "down-shifting" and Qi down-shifting.. which accounts for the seemingly enhanced Qi factor at night.. it's a bit more complex than that, but it is a good basic explanation..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Thanks TCB. It seemed all of us were in the dark on that one.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

Hmmm

It could also be that you are Yin deficient as this will give the illussion of latent energy in the evenings due to the yang not supporting it during the day.
    The nightime i.e. the Yin part of the day is meant for recooperation and rest.
    If you have a yang excess condition this can eat into the Yin part of the day and carry on for a while into the yin part i.e. the evening.
    Whoever the Taoists of old always used to say eat when hungry, sleep when tired.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Greetings,

bung bo, I am sorry I did not catch your thread sooner. Great topic.

I remember being told that the best times to practice were before sunrise and after sunset. This was long after I found that out myself. The reason that I was given was of increased dust, i.e. pollution during the day made it difficult to really inhale good quality air. The "quality air" part did ring true with me. The chi (air) is better for me during those times.

I also remember an IKF article by one WuTan master (Kurt Wong, I think) in Alaska that also spoke about the calligraphy poem that was presented to the master by his own Sifu, Liu Yun Chiao, that referenced the evening practice of martial arts by warriors of old; I think the poem mentioned playing the spear in the cold of night (also a referece to Alaska).

mickey

One more thing: There are also decreased levels of electromagnetic energy flowing around during those times.
    Last edited by mickey; 12-31-2004 at 08:50 PM.