Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What? No U.S. Presidential Debate Thread??

Nixon - you remember him, the guy with COINTELPRO and teh plumbers...the list of the enemies of the president...the same administration that got Scifi writer Harlan ellison BLACKLISTED because he wrote an expose of TV that was less than flattering of some of Agnew (and Nixon's friends)...
    Yep. Looking for a replay on that.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

I would put it somewhere between a shelacking and a bloodbath in favor of Kerry. and Bush should be ashamed of all that swiftboat **** when he dodged the draft via his $$$$.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

zim-

"State Republican Party Chairman Chris Vance called it a "Watergate-style break in" and said he suspects Democrats are behind it. "

bwahahahahahaha. Talk about paranoid. I'll bet this guy could blaim the dems because his stool is too wet and loose. "They took all the fibre from my food somehow" he would say.

Holy geez, that's rich calling it "watergate" style. A big rock through the window. G.G Liddy would be offended at that I think.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The question is what they took, not the style of how they took it. I should think that you, being mr. canadian fair play and all, would appreciate that. And this does make it along the same lines as watergate, sorry to say.

But maybe I've misjudged, and you are, in fact, quite comfortable with illegal activities in support of whatever you might want to come to pass.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

I would put it somewhere between a shelacking and a bloodbath in favor of Kerry.
    apparently you're not paying attention to the same race the rest of us are.....

-you spin me right round baby right round, like a record baby right round. -

this is Rove's theme song.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yes, of course. Rove.

We ought to have him be the Secetary of Defense, he's such a devious genius. He'd have it all sewn up so quickly.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Rove

Rove is known for his political tactics when he was a protege of Donald Segretti, convicted Watergate conspirator. In 1970, he sneaked into the campaign office of Illinois Democrat Alan Dixon and stole some letterhead. He printed fliers on the letterhead promising "free beer, free food, girls and a good time for nothing" and distributed the fliers at rock concerts and homeless shelters. Admitting to the incident much later, Rove said, "I was nineteen and I got involved in a political prank." [1] (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...rove072399.htm) [2] (http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...5&c=2&s=dubose) [3] (http://www.prospect.org/print/V14/2/reich-r.html)

In 1986, just before a crucial debate in the election for governor of Texas, Karl Rove announced that his office had been bugged by the Democrats. There was no proof, and it was later alleged he had bugged his own phone for the media coverage the incident generated, but there was no proof of that, either, and no charges were ever filed. [4] (http://www.counterpunch.org/madsen1101.html)

After dropping out of the University of Utah in 1971, Karl Rove started his political career as the executive director of the College Republican National Committee. He held this position until 1972 when he became the National Chairman of the College Republicans (1973-1974). As chairman, Rove had access to many powerful politicians and government officials during the Watergate scandal, including then CIA director George H. W. Bush. For the next few years, he worked in various Republican circles and assisted George H. W. Bush's 1980 presidential campaign. Rove's greatest claim to fame at the time was that he had introduced Bush to Lee Atwater. A signature tactic of Rove's was to attack an opponent on the opponent's strongest issue.

In 1993, according to the New York Times, John Ashcroft's campaign paid Karl Rove & Co. over $300,000 to aid his Senate race. In 1999, the George W. Bush campaign effort paid Karl Rove & Co. $2.5 million for July through December. According to Rove, "About 30 percent of that is postage."

In early 2000, during the Republican primary, Senator John McCain led George W. Bush in the race for the Republican presidential nomination and won several state primaries. A push poll was allegedly launched against McCain: telemarketers were allegedly hired to place calls throughout South Carolina asking potential voters how they may react about a candidate, in this case McCain, had they known some negative, possibly untrue fact, about the candidate. In this particular instance, voters were asked “Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain for president if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?” A reporter, Wayne Slater, suggested in print that Rove might be behind the whisper campaign. Rove denied any involvement. McCain's support subsequently dwindled, and Bush won the nomination. (There were other factors in that primary contest as well, including a long exchange of negative television advertisements between the two candidates.)

After the presidential elections in November 2000, Karl Rove organized an emergency migration of Republican politicians and supporters to Florida to assist the Bush campaign during the recount.

George W. Bush was inaugurated in January 2001. Karl Rove accepted a position in the Bush administration as Senior Advisor to the President.

In March 2001, Rove met with executives from Intel, successfully advocating a merger between a Dutch company and an Intel company supplier. Rove owned $100,000 in Intel Co. stock at the time. In June 2001, Rove met with two pharmaceutical industry lobbyists. At the time, Rove held almost $250,000 in drug industry stocks. On 30 June 2001, Rove divested his stocks in 23 companies, which included more than $100,000 in each Enron, Boeing, General Electric, and Pfizer. On 30 June 2001, the White House admitted that Rove was involved in administration energy policy meetings, while at the same time holding stock in energy companies including Enron.

On 10 April 2003, Arnold Schwarzenegger met with Rove to discuss whether the actor should run for Governor of California in 2006.

On 14 May 2003, during a meeting with South Korean president Roh Moo-hyun, President George W. Bush brought only Rove and Condoleezza Rice.

On 29 August 2003, retired ambassador Joseph C. Wilson named Rove as the White House official who leaked to the press the identity of a CIA operative as the wife of a prominent journalist and Bush administration critic. The White House denied the allegation. See Valerie Plame.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yawn...so does CBS, what's your point? It turns out that's what people do in politics, they lie, ALL of them.

red5- I was referring to the debate, not the race
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Well, I hate to say it but GWB was owned... a shame because Kerry continues to get away with lies and mistruths. My favorite was the claim that we didn't rotect Iraq's nuclear facilities, right after he said they didn't have any...

Kerry does have a few good things in his platform, but his voting record points right back to the bad old days of Jummy Carter. I simply beleive he is only saying what he has to in order to get elected. Then will return to form if his manchurian candidate first lady and he get in office. I firmly beleive we will lose the war on terror if Kerry is elected. Remember, this is the guy that 'helped' end the Viet Nam war - resulting in millions and millions of lives being lost in Ho Chi Mins gulags. B@stard. Go talk to some Vietnamese immigrants and see what they think of John Kerry...

And KL - the markets are decidely against Kerry. His 'tax on the rich' actually targets S corps. This is the people who use personal income tax forms for thier business. His tax plan will crush the recovery by crushing our biggest job creators - small businessfolks. If you track the markets, you'll see Kerry is not wanted.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

red5- I was referring to the debate, not the race
    then my bad, you may shelack at will....

Kerry was referring to the facilities that had to do with Iraq's nuclear reactor (power generation). Although it was built by the Russians and destroyed by bombs from the Israelis in 1981, there were still contaminated materials and other things that SHOULD have been checked out. The UN inspectors maintained they did this and there were no items that could be used for a weapons program. Bush's folks maintained that Iraq had enough things to be able to reconstitute the program...and this facility (o ruins thereof) was part of Bush and Company's smoking gun...

Kerry was referring to their NOT setting up a guard on it.

The Vietnam war was a mistake. John Kerry's testimony was in 1971. Woostock was in '69. Protests had been going on for years before Kerry did his testimony ( for which he recieved a standing ovation if you see the tape). My dad was in vietnam. People were being drafted to go there. It was hell on earth.

Kerry's taxing the rich - Businesss boomed during the Clinton years AND we had a surpluss. David Stockman, who was a Reagan economist, admitted trickle down economics was a scam. See SUpply Side Jesus in Al Franken's "Lying Liars"