Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MANTIS PRACTITIONERS why?

MANTIS PRACTITIONERS why?

Since my threads seem to always get jacked by ignorant garbage talk from people who don’t even study praying mantis kung fu. I’ll just start another one.

Why do you train/study mantis kung fu? Why train a traditional style at all? Why study a style that takes after a little bug? It can’t be useful in combat right? I mean that is the opinion of many MMA’s out there so I’d like to hear what the mantis practitioners here have to say about why they train. I know that some people train for self defense, hobbies, staying in shape etc. Maybe age or body handicaps don't allow the average person to train MMA. Or maybe they just don’t want to bump and grind with another man on a smelly mat. I don’t know. All I can do is speak for myself and ask why you train.

I started off with american boxing, I always had a knack for fighting. I ran across northern mantis when I was 15 and I could see the straight up street value of the art. I never looked back or to an outside art. My teacher has a back ground in Choy, I enjoy some of the tactics and power created by this style. But I love mantis, and I stuck with it. It has everything I need in a style. Over the years the experience and first hand knowledge I’ve obtained through my training has shown me that it’s very effective in combat period. Whether it’s dealing with a boxer, ground fighter, kicker, etc I feel that the training I’ve received has given me the tools to hold my own against these other styles. It keeps my mind and body in shape, and I do it every day. It’s a part of my life and I enjoy it. That is why I still study mantis and train in this style “taken after a bug” to quote others. So tell me why do you study mantis or any other MA for that matter?
    Last edited by shirkers1; 10-27-2004 at 12:45 PM.

I think I do it for a lot of the same reasons you do.

#1--I don't care about my style teaching me to beat some guy's tail in a ring. That's not why I train. I'm training because I want something that gets me in good shape, and this is the best thing going for keeping me in shape.

#2--I'm not interested in getting banged up every day when I train by training 100% of the time against active resistance. I'm too old for that.

#3--I'm intersted in self-defense and combat training, but I could care less if some BJJ guy or MMA guy who trains 6 days a week can beat me down. Most of the senior guys in my class can beat me down, too. I don't think I'm going to run into any street fights w/ BJJ or MMA guys. I never did back in my fighting days.

#4--My sifu is awesome. He is the best teacher that I found in town, and he teaches 7* mantis kung fu. 7* is a pretty cool art.

shirkers, I dont think your thread will get many responses on this board as it is sarcastic in content and geared toward and already prejudice in mind set.

your better off asking why would someone who's not interested in a certain type of style come on and ask everyones opionon about it.

be well.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

The sarcasm is pointed at those who think that a style resembling a bug is useless just because it resembles a little bug. I would like to know why others train this style. This question is directed at MANTIS practitioners not other styles so hopefully I get responses from mantis practitioners instead of garbage from people who have nothing to do with the art we train. Does that make sense now?
    Last edited by shirkers1; 10-27-2004 at 01:53 PM.

Pretty much what Reggie 1 said. Except I don't study 7*.

I like the uniqueness of the art overall; I like the introduction to a wholly different culture than my own; I like working with the theory behind mantis fist. There's a lifetime of material to work with and it doesn't matter if you decide to take it into the ring and fight, or just study it on your own. But I guess you could say the same of a lot of martial arts, so it really boils down to "I like this one."
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

EarthDragon
    The real question is "Why would someone who's not interested in a certain type of style come on, insult everyone here, and try to convince us to switch to his style?".

Same reason that Jehova Witnesses canvass neighborhoods looking for new converts (and about as welcome too).

Reggie1
    Good points.

shirkers1
    I started out in Kenpo (multiple flavors), did some TKD and Shotokan because it was convenient, ended up with White Crane. When I moved to central Florida my teacher recommended the Wah Lum Temple. When I got out here I went to an anniversary show and was impressed with the level of skill. Especially Master Chan Pui. I didn't see too much around and the local Kenpo school was closed (plus I was more interested in Chinese Kung Fu at the time) so I signed up.

Wah Lum is a hybrid style with southern influences (which doesn't bother me in the least) but the taste of NPM just stuck with me. I'm still partial to Kenpo (fond, and painful, memories) but don't think I could go back. My other interest is Choy Lay Fut. I see NPM as a game of chess while CLF is a game of checkers.

Why I don't study PM.
    - I think there are more efficient ways to learn to fight than by imiating bugs.
    - I want to train with and against the toughest fighters.
    - I want to be able to use my stuff in a variety of applications including weapons fighting, ring fighting, self-defense, street fighting, and grappling competitions.
    - I want to train in something that pushes my fitness levels to 100%.
    - I want to train in something that I can practice hard against a fully resisting opponent.
    - I want something that has a variety of "dirty tricks" and hard core techniques.
    - I want to have the best chance against anyone I might have to face- boxer, BJJ fighter, knife fighter, Muay Thai fighter, wrestler, judoka, or TMA practitioner.

:)

Knifefighter

I'm glad you are happy with what you do. It's just too bad you are so closed minded that you can't see that northern mantis has all of that and more. If you came and worked out with me, which you are more than welcome to. You would see that the mindset and tactics are not that different from what you seek. I'll leave it at that, you can pm me with a rebuttal if you like. Don't jack the thread with useless banter.

Re: MANTIS PRACTITIONERS why?

Originally posted by shirkers1

Why do you train/study mantis kung fu? Why train a traditional style at all? Why study a style that takes after a little bug? It can’t be useful in combat right? I mean that is the opinion of many MMA’s out there so I’d like to hear what the mantis practitioners here have to say about why they train.

That is the reason your threads get jacked by mma guys... you ask for it.

I know that some people train for self defense, hobbies, staying in shape etc. Maybe age or body handicaps don't allow the average person to train MMA. Or maybe they just don’t want to bump and grind with another man on a smelly mat. I don’t know. All I can do is speak for myself and ask why you train.

so instead of bumping and grinding with a man, you'd rather live out a fantasy of being a bug? Like I said, you ask for it. At my school, we mop the mats after every session. They are NOT smelly...

So tell me why do you study mantis or any other MA for that matter?

I like contact. judo, bjj and muay thai provide plenty.

I like to compete.

The hard training keeps me in shape and on top of my game.

competing against others shows me how well I am progressing and points out what I need to improve upon.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: :)

Knifefighter

I'm glad you are happy with what you do. It's just too bad you are so closed minded that you can't see that northern mantis has all of that and more. If you came and worked out with me, which you are more than welcome to. You would see that the mindset and tactics are not that different from what you seek. I'll leave it at that, you can pm me with a rebuttal if you like. Don't jack the thread with useless banter.
    lol, now who's trying to convert whom?

I don't think it's an issue of closed mindedness...knife and I have TMA backgrounds. I've trained in longfist, jun fan and karate. knife has trained in wing chun. I work out with my shuai chiao friends when I can and I love it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

"I like contact. judo, bjj and muay thai provide plenty."

h-o-m-o.

Just kidding. You could probably kick my a** six ways from Sunday.

"I like to compete.

The hard training keeps me in shape and on top of my game."

See, I think it's just different strokes for different folks. I'm not as interested in competing and all of the contact. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a little contact, and am of the opinion that you HAVE to spar to learn any MA, but I just don't recover as fast from the bumps and bruises any more. And like my first post said--The #1 reason I started an MA was to get in better shape. What I do does that just fine for me.

shirker I apologize. I have just been going over this same argument on the main board with no avail.and i thought you came on this board to bash.

For the people that dont think mantis is effective are speaking out of their lack of understanding.
    Or they havent fought a mantis player. Our system of mantis 8 step is extremley violent.
    We are taught to rip pull and tear. When it goes to the ground we do ground mantis "fighting from a fallen position" This is similar to wrestling but with joint locks as found in BJJ.

We dont fight for sport or points which is why maybe some people have such a closed mind about it and ignorant point of view.
    Also they think that the entire system is mimicking the bug. They do not understand that the locking and trapping, moving and dodging is from the insect not the entire fighting system. We have shuai chiao, tong bei, xingyi, eagle claw, and taiji mixed with bagua foot work. What else could make it better? it has a little of everything. it is by far superior to any other tradtyional art i have seen. And has far deeper roots than any hybrid ring or point fighting style used for sport.

Why have I spent 26 in it? please read above.

And also for the internal soft side medicine and healing aspects.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

:)

E dragon no problem. My bold type was asking for mantis practitioners to respond instead of non mantis guys so my thread doesn't get jacked.... again. But oh well doesn't look like that will happen, but I'm not going to respond to those posts.

So far good answers from the MANTIS PRACTITIONERS.

So all of us seem to have the same views and reasons for training our mantis. Or at least along the same lines or thinking. Just want to make sure we all see this and aren't blinded by other outside forces. Hope to see all of you at the gathering in cleveland next spring. It should be a great time to cross train with other mantis practitioners.

people like seven star are not worth responding to. This guy is supposed to be a moderater on the main board but then made degrading jokes about my dead mother.
    I have absolutly no respect for him and plan on contacting everyone at the magazine and the web desingner and have him removed fom his duties as he has no business on here what so ever.
    dont waste your time shirkers.. how long have you been training? and where what style
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Re: :)

It's just too bad you are so closed minded that you can't see that northern mantis has all of that and more. If you came and worked out with me, which you are more than welcome to. ou would see that the mindset and tactics are not that different from what you seek.
    I'm always willing to be proven wrong. When you come out here to work out with enforcer, look me up and you can show me how good your stuff is.