Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could only use one technique in a fight

If you could only use one technique in a fight

What would it be?

I don't know how this would ever happen, but say you agreed to a fight (striking) where you could only use one attack the entire time. What would you use? A jab? A cross? An elbow? A Thai Kick? That's what I would use.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Chi Blast!!!!

But seriously... perhaps a well conditioned phoenix eye punch.

Do you get to know what your opponent will be using?

Also, is this just for attacking? Can you use any defense techinques?

that's silly question because A. each fight is different with diff techs being best in diff situations and B. because unless you're some thug whose striking first, you'll need to block first aswell.

elbows
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Strong leading rights, with my left back hand to block. Strike and block any thing that moves simultanously. If the distancing and timing are right, the back hand is only insurance.

I would use punching, or shooting.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    running
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Grasp sparrow's tail

EDIT: Oops, didn't read the original post too carefully... You want striking techniques? I'll stick with taijiquan: deflect, parry and punch.
    Last edited by aedolon; 10-05-2004 at 08:12 AM.

The technique of no-technique.

(cue spooky flute music)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Or less engimatically - I tend to be responsive rather than pro-active. So, the single technique I choose will depend on what my opponent does. Wait for the opening and exploit it by whatever means is most appropriate.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by aedolon
    Grasp sparrow's tail

EDIT: Oops, didn't read the original post too carefully... You want striking techniques? I'll stick with taijiquan: deflect, parry and punch.
    doesn't that count as 3 techniques?

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    because unless you're some thug whose striking first, you'll need to block first aswell.
    no you won't. you can move. Or, if you see him attacking, you can beat him to the punch. That brings me to the technique I would use - the teep.

I thought about using a lead hand punch, as efist said, as I have long arms. But, my legs are longer and more powerful, so I won't have to be as close to do damage. I then thought about the thai roundhouse as IF said, but what if my opponent is a grappler, san shou guy or another thai boxer? I'd be more prone to get cut kicked, thrown, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I was thinking Thai roundouse too until I read what Seven* posted. I think I have to agree with E-fist. Not very sexy, but the most effective and adaptable if you had to stick with a single technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

In some ways I see it as a ridiculous question and in other ways its really not IMO.

For the most part I train in hope of not having to think much about which technique will need to come out in an encounter. Thats why questions like what would you do If I did this I no longer entertain because I dont believe anyone can no for sure what they will do in any situation.

But with that said many of the old timers have been known to specialize in one or two hands and of course were said to have used them mostly when in public encounters. An example is Guo Yun Shen and his half step Beng Chuan.

Personally not to be too poetic I look at techniques more like branches that all come off the trunk of a tree. Where the trunk is your fundamentals (footwork, power generation, mindset etc.)

So what would I use? either Beng Chuan or Chun Choi both take the shape of a linear straight punch but each off a different set of body mechanics.
    Last edited by Palmer; 10-05-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    I was thinking Thai roundouse too until I read what Seven* posted. I think I have to agree with E-fist. Not very sexy, but the most effective and adaptable if you had to stick with a single technique.
    What are you gonna do if they clinch you or take you down?

Elbows are the equalizer.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.