Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could only use one technique in a fight

Originally posted by Palmer
    In some ways I see it as a ridiculous question and in other ways its really not IMO.

If the question was "what is the best technique to use in a fight?" I would think it was ridiculous as well. But that's not what the question is. I sometimes spar this way. If I want to focus on a particular technique, I will look for openings to do it as often as I can. Granted, I'll use other techniques as well, but will use that one more than any others. Also, we'll do drills like one person can only to takedowns and the other can only do strikes.

But with that said many of the old timers have been known to specialize in one or two hands and of course were said to have used them mostly when in public encounters. An example is Guo Yun Shen and his half step Beng Chuan.

that's no different than today. cro cop is known for his roundhouse, yoshida for his throwing, etc. all MA will have their specialty. It's by no means the only technique they use, however.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Actually in some ways it IS ridiculous and I clearly stated in others it is not. This is a "fight" we are talking about not some sparring session where you can focus on just throws and your opponent is probably not even putting enough pressure on you in the first place. Especially if he is as limited as you.
    If anybody thinks that in a real unpredictable encounter your going to be hanging back looking for openings so you can pull off your one allowable technique there crazy. IMO the only reason that someone may throw one technique over another is because they have drilled it to death and it comes out instinctually.

Regardless of what your opinion is I stated that it is both ridiculous in some ways and a valid question in others. Either way its purely theoretical.
    Last edited by Palmer; 10-05-2004 at 10:09 AM.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    What are you gonna do if they clinch you or take you down?

Elbows are the equalizer.
    I'd wish that I had picked a different technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Actually, the lead right hand is pretty much my "go to" technique. Everything for me starts from there .... pretty much like opening with the King's pawn ... let's out the queen and the bishop.

If someone shoots, I'll throw out the lead hand -- backed up with the left back hand -- not in hopes of KOing (not realistic) but in getting an agressive bridge. From there elbows or sinking or whatever comes into play.

If the other begins with striking, again, lead strike to intercept and get a feel and hopefully find a hole to slip into and T-out ... use lenght and leverage while blocking with the back hand.

Knee-high to waist high round house, lead right hand and maybe pivit step to absorb and play from there.

I find this technique very useful and adaptable. I also don't know if I agree with the "no thinking just "flow" mentality."

There is a lot of thinking, a lot of reading your apponant and adapting .... finding openings, seeking tendencies .... especially when playing with a skilled guy.

Fighting a brawler is different. Things get forced on you so quick sometimes you just have to snap as well and hopefully roll with a strike and gain advantage latter.

But for the most part, most of the fighting I'm doing now -- and I learned this from my last San Da LOSS -- is more brain based than brawn based.

kick in the knee........
    My radio station:: http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1224612862

----------
    "iWalkTheCircle moves like a weed blown in the wind. Soft flexible and irritating as hell when you want to hit him." --Topher

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    . I also don't know if I agree with the "no thinking just "flow" mentality."

There is a lot of thinking, a lot of reading your apponant and adapting .... finding openings, seeking tendencies .... especially when playing with a skilled guy.

Fighting a brawler is different. Things get forced on you so quick sometimes you just have to snap as well and hopefully roll with a strike and gain advantage latter.

But for the most part, most of the fighting I'm doing now -- and I learned this from my last San Da LOSS -- is more brain based than brawn based.
    I wouldnt want this thread to digress into reality vs competition but really thats what I believe the difference is here. The first example you mention about seeking tendancy's and the time spent "viewing" your opponent and "figuring" them out I believe will let the critical moments pass in a real encounter. I believe real encounters pretty much are brawling events.
    Dont get me wrong I dont believe the point of ma training is to go flat line with your brain. Just certain aspects of your training should be more instinctual so it can actually "free up" your mind to be aware of other things like where your opponent "is" at any one moment and how close you are to them or do I engage or retreat. In my experience the people that start thinking to much about what the opponent is doing and how you will react to any individual technique they employ are the ones that very often freeze.

Originally posted by iWalkTheCircle
    kick in the knee........
    Bingo! I was going to say that. Nothing like a thrust kick to the knee.
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

Thumbs up

"so it can actually "free up" your mind to be aware of other things like where your opponent "is" at any one moment "

Agreed.

Evolution dont get me wrong I'm not against competition as a very viable training medium for actual encounters. I think competition is great.

Since I can't run, Seiken Oi Tsuki; step in, punch with lead hand.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by Indestructible
    Bingo! I was going to say that. Nothing like a thrust kick to the knee.
    against a moving, opponent, a kick to the knee isn't the one technique I'd like to have in my arsenal. What's the guarantee that you will hit it when you try? What's the guarantee that his knee will be straight enough for you to break it?

If I could use other techiques also, then that would be cool, but as a lone technique? nah. IMO, of course.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    against a moving, opponent, a kick to the knee isn't the one technique I'd like to have in my arsenal.
    But a teep is better?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

It's more ambiguous (IE: versatile) anyway. You can teep a dude anywhere, including the knee, if that's the beset target.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Seven Star beat me too it.

I was reffing a few guys last night and one guy went for a chip knee shot (they were going light so it was no big deal) but I pointed out to him that when he missed or didn't hit square he wound up in a bad position, offering his flank, when the foot diflected.

I consider it a risky opening: no guarantee of success, chance of losing position AND lack of mobility.

You can't guarantee any technique will do the job, but I believe you want to stack odds in your favor and have back up and double back up.

This is why I like the lead strike. My feet are firmly planted. I can strike out to slow down the attack and step back disengaging (for the most part) or step out like a bull fighter and throw a lead hook.

Originally posted by Palmer
    Actually in some ways it IS ridiculous and I clearly stated in others it is not. This is a "fight" we are talking about not some sparring session where you can focus on just throws and your opponent is probably not even putting enough pressure on you in the first place. Especially if he is as limited as you.

as it's a theoretical question, it's not really ridiculous. It's actually quite informational, in a way. No need to keep going back and forth on this though, as we are entitled to separate opinions.

If anybody thinks that in a real unpredictable encounter your going to be hanging back looking for openings so you can pull off your one allowable technique there crazy.

naturally we don't think that way.

IMO the only reason that someone may throw one technique over another is because they have drilled it to death and it comes out instinctually.

bingo. Hence the informational part I was getting at. we are finding out things about the others on this forum. I use the teep alot. efist stated he uses his lead punch alot. Do you repeatedly drill beng chuan? My guess is that the people that reply to this thread won't just pull a random technique out of their arse, but will respond with something they use quite often.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter