Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighters and Non-fighters

The rougher the training, the more risks you take the closer to reality. But that's not always usefull to train that way especially if you get injured for 6 months at a time (happened to me a few times). After enough injuries you tend to train smarter with almost the same results. I found the very rough training often produces tense fighters who only rely on speed and strength. They really were no more effective in a real fight than people who trained in a calmer fashion. In fact these tense guys were for the most part much easier to beat. MOstly their arts resembled more kickboxing than anything to do with Wing Chun.

Weapons fighters in Chinese martial art (the ones I am familiar with anyway), tend to drill with real weapons and after that fight for real. The main thing is drills with the real weapon with the right kind of drills. If you train any other way like by actually trying to cut your sparring partner's arm off, then that's idiotic. My Hung style teacher and another teacher who was from Choy Lay Fut both trained their art with forms and drills. After that they went out to fight for real. The Hong Kong Wing Chun guys in Wong Shun Leung's club that we encountered in the late 80's trained a very rough chi sau and after that some just went out and fought. They didn't feel the need to spar with boxers and BJJ stylists.

The Wing Chun fighters I have known (only two mind you) worked for Asian drug gangs. These guys were very relaxed, very hard hitters, very economical and fearlessly went in. They never trained in boxing, sparred around with kickboxers or practiced with Brazillian Jujitsu. But also they didn't fight these kinds of people in a ring. Maybe if they did they might have been interested in that. According to them, the real fights tended to involve weapons or multiple opponents.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    "Here's a form. Keep the knife almost hidden from view and keep it very close to your body so that it can't be grabbed or kicked out of your hand. Move in quickly and show the knife at the last momement. That's the Form. This form is useful for real fighting."
    (Yongchun)

It's useful only AFTER it's no longer a form...because you're now (hopefully) practicing the move against a resisting partner.

Yes that's what I said, you also have to have a realistic DRILL to go with it. Trying to stab your partner with a knife is a drill that encompasses a lot of things. The drill and form eventually becomes natural and in fact seemingly formless.

After that anything more realistic will only get you killed.

In most clubs the training is progressive in that the teacher feeds a little more to the student than that student can handle. It does no good to go even harder and break his nose and split his lip, although that would give him a good taste of reality. Some students take a long time before they are ready for a rough and tough sparring match against a realistic opponent. A lot will always be limited in that kind of fight by their size.

Seriously speaking, instead of all this foolish talk that we are all doing, in our club anyway we have to cater to a variety of students. Some think like Terrence and some don't. Some have fought for their living and some have never been in a fight.

The fighters have done that and are no longer interested. Some have competed, one at Olympic level, one at state or province level (Judo, wrestling). Some have done that and are no longer interested in this. Then we have some older people who want to learn martial arts. We don't have them spar with wild fast, strong partners. They can't even remember the form. Then we have some you ladies in junior school and high school. The mix is all over the map.

Realistically there is no way the students who are just getting into Wing Chun can match the people who have fought and who also outweigh them by 100 pounds. IT doesn't do them anygood to put on gloves and spar with the fighters.

Yet the fighters try to help those who are not fighters to slowly have them progress up the continuum of fighting. Everyone is a fighter in training but just all different levels. Progress is limited by people's talents, how much they train and their genetic attributes and intelligence. But we treat everyone as special, everyone as equal and don't divide the class up into two groups: the fighters and the wimps and those who are too chicken to fight. When people are ready, then they can fight, no sooner than that. No one is under any misconception about what they can handle in a real fight.

Those people who really like to fight, tend to go outside of the club compete in tournaments or cross train in other arts or spar against friends who have learned something else. One student trains Thai boxing and another is into submission wrestling.

Some students end up as fights as part of their job in correctional work or police work or in bouncing work. Some will never be fighters but we encourage them to keep at it and slowly they progress. All the students like the variety of things physical and mental that Wing Chun has to offer. These things tend to keep up the interest such that the students keep coming and coming. Those who train very intensively, I have found, eventually can't take it anymore and totally give up.

Within any club the opinions will vary as much as on this forum. It all depends on the background of the student. Some clubs just happen to draw in more fighters and some just don't. You work accordingly with whatever mix shows up and tailor the training for what they need. Different strokes for different folks but no use to look down on anyone or to put a special label on their forehead that says : I am a wimp because I'm scared to fight.

It's the challenge of the teacher to provide what the student is looking for. It's the challenge of the teacher to teach as realistic fighting as possible while keeping his students safe from serious injury. It's the duty of the teacher to keep his students from fighting on the streets. It's the duty of the teacher to give the student a realistic idea of what he can really do. It's the challenge of the teacher to inspire the student to research the art and to become better than himself. It's the duty of the teacher to absorb what is useful from the fighting world and from forums such as this for the benefit of his students.

In our club we have tried various Wing Chun approaches. We have found that those approaches that involve lots of fighting and minimal work on forms or chi sau don't produce a high quality of Wing Chun as shown to us by some people we consider as masters of the art. The approach of these people was very elegant, mimimal effort, powerful, relaxed and very effective. quite possibly we could have hit these guys in the head with a wild shot but that's not what we are training for. How you train really depends on who you have met no matter from what style. Some people have met some high level practitioners for the sake of example let's use Chen Xiaowang (I don't like to push just the Wing Chun people I happen to like). Then those who like that kind of skill will tend to follow his suggestions of how to train. Those who have met Frank Shamrock and like that kind of fighting will tend to follow his methods. Whatever. Either camp can fight.
    Last edited by YongChun; 10-10-2004 at 12:39 AM.

**A few random comments:

YongChun wrote:

In most clubs the training is progressive in that the teacher feeds a little more to the student than that student can handle.

**It all hinges on how one defines "progress" (training is progressive) -- for me, since the objective is to become a better fighter via WCK training, one can only measure progress toward that goal by fighting (you can't measure one's progress toward being a better swimmer without getting in the water).

It does no good to go even harder and break his nose and split his lip, although that would give him a good taste of reality. Some students take a long time before they are ready for a rough and tough sparring match against a realistic opponent. A lot will always be limited in that kind of fight by their size.

**Funny how all the methods that produce fighters, boxing, wrestling, muay thai, BKK, kyokushinkai, etc. don't find that limitation -- they get the student into fighting right away. Admit it, your premise is that one can become a better fighter without fighting and that one needs to spend a lot of time doing forms and drills before they can even think about fighting. You are wrong on both counts.

Realistically there is no way the students who are just getting into Wing Chun can match the people who have fought and who also outweigh them by 100 pounds. IT doesn't do them anygood to put on gloves and spar with the fighters.

**You don't get it -- it's not about beating our training (fighting) partners up, it is about learning and getting better. I may not be able to beat a BJJ black belt when I'm a white/blue/purple belt, but I get better by rolling (fighting) with one. I may not be able to beat a pro boxer but I get better by getting in the ring with one. The better our training (fighting) partners, the better we become.

Yet the fighters try to help those who are not fighters to slowly have them progress up the continuum of fighting.

**There is no "continuum of fighting" -- this is like nonswimmers talking about "slowly having students progress up toward getting in the water"! You either get in the water or you don't; you either fight or you don't.

Everyone is a fighter in training but just all different levels.

**I can be a pilot in training too, but if I never fly a plane, I can't call myself a pilot and I'll never learn to fly without doing it.

Progress is limited by people's talents, how much they train and their genetic attributes and intelligence.

**Agreed.

But we treat everyone as special, everyone as equal and don't divide the class up into two groups: the fighters and the wimps and those who are too chicken to fight. When people are ready, then they can fight, no sooner than that. No one is under any misconception about what they can handle in a real fight.

**When I took swimming lessons at the Y many years ago (when I was 3 or 4 years old), the very first day they had us climb up to the top of the high dive and jump into the water (they pulled us out with a pole). Then we spent every class in the water. Everyone was equal and everyone learned to swim. They didn't have those that "weren't ready to get in the water" practice on the side of the pool.

Some clubs just happen to draw in more fighters and some just don't.

**That's just not true -- it is no happenstance.

You work accordingly with whatever mix shows up and tailor the training for what they need.

**If they "need" to become better fighters, then they need to fight as part of their training, it's as simple as that.

Different strokes for different folks but no use to look down on anyone or to put a special label on their forehead that says : I am a wimp because I'm scared to fight.

**Forget the labels and concentrate on the training principle -- if someone wants to become a better fighter (with WCK or BJJ or whatever) they need to fight as part of their training. Period. If they don't do that, for whatever reason, they will never become skilled.

In our club we have tried various Wing Chun approaches. We have found that those approaches that involve lots of fighting and minimal work on forms or chi sau don't produce a high quality of Wing Chun as shown to us by some people we consider as masters of the art.

**The objective of WCK to make us a better fighter. So how can someone judge the "quality of WCK" apart from fighting (to see if those results were obtained)? Oh, your tan sao "looks" so much better today? LOL! WCK , like any MA, is fighting and just like one can't judge the quality of someone's BJJ without having them roll or the quality of someone's boxing without having them box they can't judge the quality of someone's WCK without having them fight. Forms or chi sao (drills) are steps in training to make us better fighters, so their "quality" again can only be determined by fighting (has the form or drill actually produced those results). You can consider X a "master of the art" while someone else can consider him a dunce; someone else may consider Y a "master of the art" and you may consider him a scrub. These things are all subjective because the "judgments" are not performance-based.

The approach of these people was very elegant, mimimal effort, powerful, relaxed and very effective. quite possibly we could have hit these guys in the head with a wild shot but that's not what we are training for.

**It is fairly easy to be elegent, use minimum effort, be powerful, relaxed and appear effective in drills (chi sao) and demonstrations (same with lots of "masters" of all kinds of MAs) -- it is quite another thing to have these qualities in fighting. After all, if you do the same drill (chi sao) enough, you'll get "good" at how you do that drill. That doesn't mean it will translate into being a good fighter (you may be doing things that look great in the drill but will fail miserably in fighting). If it did, these "masters" would be more than willing to step up and mix it up with proven, skillful fighters.

How you train really depends on who you have met no matter from what style.

**This is true for nonfighters since they copy the things they have seen; fighters will find those things that work for them (and will not "look" like "who they have met".

Some people have met some high level practitioners for the sake of example let's use Chen Xiaowang (I don't like to push just the Wing Chun people I happen to like). Then those who like that kind of skill will tend to follow his suggestions of how to train.

**I could kick CXW's @ss; so would Ernie, Andrew, and anyone else that fights as part of their training. CXW has no fighting skill. And I'm not bragging because I'm not very good (lots of folks can beat me) -- but I fight as part of my training and he doesn't. A MMAist with 2 years training that fights regularly would destroy CXW too, because CXW doesn't get into the pool so he can't be a good swimmer. All his forms and drills (push hands) mean nothing if he isn't fighting. But you're right -- nonfighters see him in demo and are impressed, and they follow what he says thinking that if they do, they'll become as "good" too. The rub is that he is good in demo but not in fighting, and by doing what he does will never make them skilled fighters (and, of course, that's why we don't see any tai ji fighters).

Those who have met Frank Shamrock and like that kind of fighting will tend to follow his methods. Whatever. Either camp can fight.

**Everyone, even folks with no training, can fight. The issue is whether a person's training will significantly increase their fighting performance. All fighters, including Shamrock, fight as part of their training -- that's why their performance increases. Other folks, like you, want to believe that they can increase their fighting performance without fighting ("either camp can fight") -- you are wrong. That position is refuted by evidence, by history and by how human beings improve in any physical activity. But, as I've repeatedly said, if you want to find out for yourself the validity of your position, there is an easy way to find out.

Regards,

Terence

Originally posted by YongChun

If you have never kicked someone's knee out or really hit someone in the back of the head or side of the neck to cause a real knockout, you might be surprised that in real what you thought worked in intensive sparring doesn't work. I have seen a few cases like that from experienced competitive fighters.

yeah, it's funny how that works...when adrenaline is rushing and heart rate increases, you will only retain that which is ingrained into you muscle memory. If nothing is ingrained, you will either freeze or flail, most likely. Contact helps to overcome freezing and teaches you to retain control in high adrenaline situations. By doing the basics over and over, they get ingrained quickly.

Sparring with lots of protection gives you a false sense of reality. The Dog brothers are a step closer to reality but according to those Esrimadors who have fought for real, not close enough. Two tough guys hammering each other in the ring with protection without knocking each other's brains out, are swimmming in the bath tub instead of on dry land. Those who learn to fight in jail or have millitary combat experience are the ones who really swim. All the rest is just various forms of dry land swimming.

not really. if you were only referring to point sarring I would agree with you. But, hard contact is hard contact. If you don't think so, find some local fights and enter them. 12 oz. gloves aren't that big and headgear isn't that thick. If you get hit hard yhou know it. KO's are still produced in the amateurs, where protection is still worn.

that said though, I take it you are training against real knives all the time, doing eye gouges and throat strikes in training all the time, groin shots on a regular basis, fighting multiple opponents full contact, balls to the wall,etc. all the time, right? If not, perhaps the sport fighter's pool is a bit more real than yours...

The real the fight, the more confidence that you will get. The main problem is just how to do that safely. The more safe, the more it is dry land swimming. Training with a wooden stick is totally different than training with a sharp edged weapon.

so you admit to being on dry land. cool.

There is play fighting which any kind of sparring is and then there is real fighting where you intend to seriously hurt your opponent.

hmm....like being in the ring?

Ring fighting is also very different from street fighting.

that is true.

Mixing it up in the ring with your buddies only prepares you for that kind of fighting and makes you comfortable in that realm of play.

Not really. There are lessons learned from contact fighting that carry over into the street.

Unless you mix it up with fighters of all kinds and not just MMA, BJJ and boxers, you will never be aware of what some humans can do to you in a fight. MMA, BJJ, Boxing and Thai boxing are exellent for ring fighting. reported street attacks and killings are never like ring fights.

you may have stepped on the toes of more than half the guys on the forum with that one.

street attacks and killings are not like your safe cushiony training and chi sau either... It kills me when people say things like "thai boxing isn't like a street fight. In my class, we train against multiple attackers and learn weapons" Whatever... That said, however, a real fight is sudden violence. An opponent or opponents who want to take your head off as fast as they can, however they can. As I said above, ring fighting will teach you valuable lessons in dealing with that.

Real fighting is three guys trying to smash you or stab you with sharpend pipes. If you aren't training for that, then what are you training for? Will working out with boxers help that?

you know what though? That's NOT reality...not necessarily. I've been in several fights, some involving multiple attackers, none involving multiple people who all had weapons. I've gone to the ground in fights and not been "stomped by the guys buddies" I've chased down a mugger while his friends waited for him to get in the car so they could get away - no shots were fired, none of them got out of the car. I've had a friend that was stomped by eight guys. I've had friends that were shot and killed. I've got friends that are in jail for killing people.

What's the point? That reality is different for everyone. More than half of the people involved in MA will never have to use their skills. That's the reality. you are training for a possibility. Sport fighters train for an inevitability. They WILL fight again. people tend to always take an extreme situation and say "this is reality - this is what we train for"..that's BS. That's the reality of it.

I think playing around with BJJ people to see if your Wing Chun will work in that environment is also a waste of time in the same way that BJJ would waste their time training Chi sau. If you like that stuff then just train it for five year. If you like Thai boxing then train it for five years. Just mixing it up with those guys is not that useful. Those things are sports. If you want to fight, try walking into a Silat club in Indonesia with an attitude.

I have a greater chance of getting taken down than I do of ending up in a trapping match with someone. When you get taken to the ground, how do you get up efficiently? How do you get up at all? you've got a big, 300lb killer with boulders for hands raining punches down on you like bombs, and his buddies are circling up, preparing to stomp you into the dirt (see the exaggeration there?) How do you get back to your feet? That's where grappling comes in. Grappling has it's own sensitivity training, as does thai boxing, they don't need chi sau. what they do need is what they lack. For the former, striking, and the latter, grappling. That's why people cross train.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by YongChun
    The rougher the training, the more risks you take the closer to reality. But that's not always usefull to train that way especially if you get injured for 6 months at a time (happened to me a few times). After enough injuries you tend to train smarter with almost the same results. I found the very rough training often produces tense fighters who only rely on speed and strength. They really were no more effective in a real fight than people who trained in a calmer fashion. In fact these tense guys were for the most part much easier to beat. MOstly their arts resembled more kickboxing than anything to do with Wing Chun.

As I stated above - when techniques are not ingrained, you will either freeze or flail. Sounds like these guys took the flailing route. There is alot more to kickboxing then throwing out punches and kicks. They mad have resembled a badly trained kicboxer, but that's about it.

Weapons fighters in Chinese martial art (the ones I am familiar with anyway), tend to drill with real weapons and after that fight for real. The main thing is drills with the real weapon with the right kind of drills. If you train any other way like by actually trying to cut your sparring partner's arm off, then that's idiotic. My Hung style teacher and another teacher who was from Choy Lay Fut both trained their art with forms and drills. After that they went out to fight for real. The Hong Kong Wing Chun guys in Wong Shun Leung's club that we encountered in the late 80's trained a very rough chi sau and after that some just went out and fought. They didn't feel the need to spar with boxers and BJJ stylists.

How many schools are there that do this? I bet you'll find that the majority don't. When I was training jkd, we would do drills with real machettes on occasion, but it wasn't a regular basis thing.

According to them, the real fights tended to involve weapons or multiple opponents.

As I said above, reality is different from person to person.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

**I could kick CXW's @ss;
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CXW got scared off after reading this.

"CXW got scared off after reading this."

It's not about whether he's scared off or not - it's about the fact that he's a good example of someone who doesn't fight (or even spar with some heavy contact - that we know of)...but yet commands much respect from some people who are so impressed with demos, forms, drills, push hands, chi sao, etc. - that they have lost sight of the whole purpose of martial arts...being able to fight.

No amount of forms, drills, chi sao, etc. can ever take the place of actual fighting or hard sparring.

There is just so much more to fighting/sparring than what's contained in all of the other above-mentioned scenarios.

It's like a baseball player who never goes up against an opposing pitcher with a 95 mph fastball that catches the low inside corner for strike one...who might follow with another fastball at his head that knocks him down...who then throws a 68 mph change-up that's low and away...might then throw a curve ball that backed him off the plate but caught the high inside corner for strike two...back to the 95 mph fastball for strike three on the low outside part of the plate.

Instead - This guy has never played in a real game...all this "player" has ever done has been batting practice against a pitcher who's a friend of his - and who lobs the ball over the middle of the plate at 80 mph...tells him when he's going to throw a curve...tells him when the slider is coming, etc.

and the result is that our "player" looks great hitting a bunch of balls deep to center or over the wall.

Big deal !
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 10-10-2004 at 10:35 AM.

I'm waiting for the water polo analogy!...

Originally posted by t_niehoff
    **I could kick CXW's @ss
    I've been looking for a good sig line. This is priceless.

Originally posted by t_niehoff
    [B
    **I could kick CXW's @ss; so would Ernie, Andrew, and anyone else that fights as part of their training. CXW has no fighting skill.

**Other folks, like you, want to believe that they can increase their fighting performance without fighting ("either camp can fight") -- you are wrong. That position is refuted by evidence, by history and by how human beings improve in any physical activity. But, as I've repeatedly said, if you want to find out for yourself the validity of your position, there is an easy way to find out.

Regards,

Terence [/B]
    Hi Terrence. Don't get too worked up it's bad for your heart. It's only a discussion. For me I have seen people from both camps who can fight. There is no doubt about what you are saying will produce a good ring fighter. However you negate all fighters from any Kung Fu style, Silat style or whatever who don't train in a boxing ring or train BJJ. I would love to see you fight someone from each of these arts and tell them to their face that they can't fight.

Also I love to see you and Ernie and Andrew fight Chen XiaoWang. In fact there are maybe some better Tai Chi fighters in the South but I trust Chen XiaoWang can do a good job on you. You have never tried to fight him and so it's easy to spout a lot of hot air like that. I can beat Mike Tyson as well and of course the dry land swimmer Chen XiaoWang.

First we are having a discussion. We have had enough fighters who fight and have people who cross train and have compared results. There is a difference between producing a fighter and producing the best fighter. Some of our students have never had a fight in their life but survived fighting on the street. Thet fought. They were fighters. That's not to say that what you are advocating wouldn't have made them better. No argument there.

In my Hung style training the Drill and then they fight. I know a couple of top students were into multiple opponent fights putting all into the hospital. In one fight they guys in the hospital had bicycle chains. Other students we have had have competed in tournaments, had fights as bouncers, have had fights as part of their police work or have had fights as part of their correctional institute (jail) jobs. Also I met two who regularly fought as part of their drug gang activity. That experience is not part of your experience so you just can't relate to it and that's fine. We are just sharing experiences.

My Hung style teacher (James Lore in Toronto) did nothing but fight in his early days. They did forms , then they drilled and drilled and then they fought and fought. He taught the same way and some of his students were very good. One student trained many years just to get in to a fast kicker. That's what it took. One he was in, they were dead. There are just different ways to train which can produce good fighting results. I have seen lots of good fighters in my years in different arts and they didn't hang around in boxing clubs or train BJJ. None of the Hung style guys did. Joe Lewis was a Karate blackbelt in about 6 months. In his first few ring matches he was already a terror in the ring. He went from forms and drills into the ring. Successive fights of course made him better.

I certainly don't say that what any of the type A personality fighters say about fighting intensively each day against opponents you don't know is a bad thing. It's a very good thing if you want to be a good fighter. No one can deny that that's the best way if like to do thatt. The best is actual street fighting if you are training for that and constant ring fighting of you are training for that. For ring fighting, Wing Chun training is not the best and it is better to just switch to the arts and training methodologies that have proved effective. If I was training to compete in the ring, then I certainly wouldn't be training in Wing Chun. If I am training to survive in the street then I wouldn't limit myself to Wing Chun either. I would definitely train stick , knife and gun as well as any other kind of street tactics that work. Still that might not be as good as our premier training academies known as jail or as mind toughening as spending time fighting in Iraq. The latter forms of training are really the best.

I think if I take a type A aggressive personality and drill him to death then there won't be any doubt that he could fight. But to compare fighters and training methods that is a different story. That's why we have a million kinds of fighting arts because no one can agree.

We have fighters. We have people who cross train. None of use were born yesterday and we aren't 20 year olds who know everything and yet don't know what we are talking about.

It's very easy to say that to become a fighter you have to go out and fight. That kind of statement is obvious. But that kind of statement seems very useful to tack on to the end of every thread. It's a lot harder to have an intelligent discussion about the details of training methods which can apply to a wide variety of individuals to produce good results. Fortunately a few other more useful threads are starting up to discuss these other issues. There is only so much mileage you can get out of the dry land swimming analogy. Maybe switch to race car driving or something else for variety to spice up this talk.

So let's start a betting pool of who will win, Chen Xiaowang or Terrence. Maybe Terrence can barge in on his seminar like Emin Boztepe did to William Cheung and prove it this way with the cameras rolling. The video would make millions and then everyone involved could retire to the beach.

Originally posted by old jong
    I'm waiting for the water polo analogy!...
    I am waiting for all the talkers to produce one good fighter who can show the world that Wing Chun really works. I don't see that day coming. Valuable training time is being lost discussing instead of training for such an event. We need a committee to organize the event. We need to select a lineage willing to train the fighter. I'll take the bets and award the prizes.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    Hi SevenStar,

I agree with your comments. All this is just to get discussion going but it would be nice to get to something concrete as well such as experiences and lessons learned from the fighters. BJJ has many good ideas that anyone can work on and try. Telling someone just to go in the ring against a good Thai boxer and fight just isn't very useful. I already know something will break if I do that. I don't need to try and block a roundhouse kick with a Gan sau to know that my arms will break. I will accept the opinions of those who tried that.

I think there has to be a progression and not day 1 sign up for Wing Chun and day 2 fight a Thai boxer. I think that's the model proposed by Terrence: day 1 throw the student off the highest diving board into the pool and day 2 see if he comes around for further lessons.

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    "CXW got scared off after reading this."

It's not about whether he's scared off or not - it's about the fact that he's a good example of someone who doesn't fight (or even spar with some heavy contact - that we know of)...but yet commands much respect from some people who are so impressed with demos, forms, drills, push hands, chi sao, etc. - that they have lost sight of the whole purpose of martial arts...being able to fight.

Big deal !
    It would be interesting to hear what the Tai Chi people think about that. I think I will arrange a match between one of our people who fights and him. If the money is right like a few million dollars then that would be great. It will put the Tai Chi theory that they can fight to rest once and for all. There are just too many people wasting their time doing this useless form of activity when they should be training full contact in the ring.

Actually I would love to see Emin Boztepe vs Chen XiaoWang. I wonder what can be learned from such a match. The public match between Crane style and Wu style certainly wasn't impressive. In that case Emin would have taken them both at the same time.

Where is the popcorn for the virtual reality internet shows?
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 10-10-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Also I love to see you and Ernie and Andrew fight Chen XiaoWang

whoopie !!!!

now i have to go beat up old tai chi guys

been there done that , not this particular individual , of course he might have special powers

but so far one master dude said he was from shaolin , don't know his name i suck a chinese barely remember yip man

and about 2 months ago some idiot given me crap for useing sticks and protective gear at the park

it was drawing attention from his [ shine ]
    said it wasnot needed [sound familer]

and he got dropped and his pretty white pajamas dirty

[ both guys had terrible foot work and couldn't time a broken rythem entry . i slapped one in the nuts and kneed the other in they thigh as he leaned back and tried to absorb my high line
    the pain shot froze both guys up and both got reaped to the floor
    , i made it a point to break there root ,]

what does it all mean

----- nothing----- i was better prepared next time i may not be
    who cares life goes on

styles don't fight people do

now back to bum fights

why don't terrance and ray meet slap each other around and compare training methods

now that would be just as fun , right ?
    Last edited by Ernie; 10-10-2004 at 02:34 PM.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com