Thread: so i got a new sword

so i got a new sword

I just got a new sword, purchased it from my sifu's personal collection. I am currently learning some sword forms and want to keep it in nice condition.

What is the best way any of you how found to maintain a sword. I am not sure exactly what its made of because he got it from china, and the box is in chinese. I was told its "spring steel" which is a heavier version of wushu steel, but still has the flexibility.

What is the best way to maintain, clean, polish a sword ect. Before I got this sword I had one of those cheapo compatable practice swords, and a wooden sword. I want to keep this one in presetine condition.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

There are two ways that are good if it is not an antique

1. WD-40 designed to repell water

2. Paste wax. Rub it on well and Keep putting it on occasionally. It keeps out water, is not greasy and will let you shine the blade up well.

Dave

1. Don't touch the blade with your hands. The acid from your fingers will leave marks and can rust it depending on the type of steel. Same goes for sweat, blood etc... carry a nice soft cloth with you to wipe down the blade after you practice with it.

2. Do NOT use WD-40, that is a solvent and is very bad for blades over the long haul. Why people think it's a lubricant I have no clue.

3. Do use oil. Natural or synthetic is fine (Silicone, Mineral whaterver) most places that sell knives or swords will have some. In a pinch you can use a little gun oil if you have it handy. Depending on useage / humidity you should reapply the oil every few months.

4. You want to make sure there is not a whole lot of oil on the blade. You want a light sheen applied with a paper towel or soft clean cloth.

5. Do not keep the sword in a leather scabbard. If you have a wooden one it should be ok.

Some people wax the blades, but I really don't know much about that.

So, tell us about the blade.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

Thanks for the replies. I was told 3 in 1 oil would do the trick and I could use brasso to polish the steel. What about polishing the scabbard, its wood?

Its a lungchuan sword from china. Its got a black scabbard, with bronze casing around it. Etched on the scabbard is a dragon on one side, and a pheonix on the other. The handle and hilt are also black, with bronzed casing around it. Its very evenly balanced and its all one solid piece. I was told that they do not make these swords anymore they pretty much only make wushu swords instead, because there is more of a market for it.

Other than that I will have to learn to read chinese or ask my sifu to translate it for me, since the box it came in is mostly in chinese.

It does have a few minor surface scractches in the blade, but I think most of those scuffs will polish out.

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Gangsterfist,

Have you looked at www.swordforum.com ? They have a very good Chinese sword forum, and other articles on Chinese swords.

You could get a lot of feedback if you post some pictures of the blade, hilt and scabbard.

thx for the link I will check it out more when I am not at work.

-Yip Man

Yes 3 in 1 oil is ok too.

I don't know enough about the wood side to suggest anything... I just use Murphy's oil soap on wood, but would suggest you check with swordforum guys or similar before using anything.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

Sword maintenance

I have an article coming out on this very subject in our next issue, but until then, there are some good products on the market for sword care such as Hanwei sword oil or Japanese sword maintenance kits. WD40 is bad; 3-in-one is fine. Brasso is bad; Wenol, Flitz & Simichrome are good.

Actually Dragon Well makes quite a few non-wushu swords nowadays. But then again, there are many imposters. We've been discussing it a bit on the Shaolin forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our newest web article

Have you checked your oil lately? READ How to Maintain Your Chinese or Japanese Sword by Jordan McDowell

Threads
    so-i-got-a-new-sword
    Sword-Maintenance
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart